"Foodstamps Are Corporate Welfare"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Jul 17, 2013.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    What would happen to the companies that employ the people on foodstamps if foodstamps disappeared?

zerohedge.com

2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Epic fail.

The government needs to butt out of private industries' day to day practices. Besides that, have you been to Micky D's lately? Those morons don't deserve more money, or whatever the new commie phrase for it is - "living wages."
  3. leogator

leogator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    And if anybody thinks that rent support and welfare is about a society's safety net you have another thing coming. It's about supporting a steady income for slumlords. Show me a state with high welfare expenses, I will show you a state that has slumlords with a lot of political pull, with accompanying high occupancy rates. So high in fact that they're now housing them in hotels. It is so lucrative for hotels (they have guaranteed income) that they're no longer accepting travelers.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +308
    Well, if the evil corporate employers are the true beneficiaries then let's end food stamps. That'll show 'em.

If this isn't possible, maybe the government could at least take over the retail food industry. Then at least purchases by food stamp recipients won't be lining the pockets of evil corporate grocers.
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,346
    I'm not sure I buy the implication that these measures are all that is preventing corporations from paying a "living wage" of their own volition, but it certainly creates an environment where there is little (effective) political or organized labor pressure to influence coporations to do so.