Food intake alone explains obesity epidemic

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Feb 24, 2012.

1. chrisleakfan4life

chrisleakfan4life Gator Highlights

Ratings Received:
    +17
    What ive learned that got me fat:

1. Soda- I used to drink regular soda like crazy, usually 4-5 cans a day. I drink diet now and i try to stick to two cans. I need to start drinking more water.

2. Fast Food- I used to eat it a lot as well, i really started getting bigger once i got my first car and a job.

Right now my biggest problem is drinking, over the past couple years ive been drinking alcohol, not to a point where i was hammered but usually to a good buzz/lightly drunk.

Alcohol is a diet killer, do not go near hard liquor as it can get addicting.

The thing ive noticed for me, is i tend to snack a lot when im not busy with school or work. When im at home playing Xbox or watching tv i think im hungry when i dont actually need the calories.

What ive learned is, you may think your hungry, but if you dont give in to temptation and you ignore it, after 5-10 minutes that feeling and thought is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  2. chrisleakfan4life

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Ive struggled with weight loss, i started dieting in 2010 and i lost 55 pounds in the first 5 months as i went from 255 to 200. Ever since then ive struggled. Ive fluctuated from 190-218 pounds and i can never seem to go more than 3 weeks on a diet and it pisses me off.

Ive got a ways to go and im hoping to lose some more by football season and when i do, i hope to post some before/after pics.

You dont have to starve yourself and you dont have to workout like an NFL player to lose weight.

Cut calories everyday and eventually the weight will come off.

Dont fall into the habit ive had of drinking, that KILLS dieting.

As Jeff Dillman says "get your mind right" and as Dolvette from The Biggest Loser says "If you aint moving you aint losing".

Cut calories, try and squeeze in some exercise and find some form of motivation and you can do it.

Right i have two Gator shirts hanging in my room, one is a large, my first goal, and the other is a medium which is my ultimate goal.

I look at those shirts everyday to remind myself of why im putting the work in, and to keep my focus on my goal.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    Losing 55 pounds and for the most part keeping it off is damn impressive. I know you are frustrated trying to get to your ultimate goal but just think you only need to lose half of what you already have to get there.
  4. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,436
    I was hoping that you'd get that that was a bit tongue-in-cheek. But ...

"Physical activity energy expenditure has not changed since the 1980's and matches energy expenditure of wild mammals.":

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18504442

On a personal note, early on I was surprised (in retrospect, I shouldn't have been) at how active my overweight clients were at the time they invited me to work with them. One was doing a P90X knock-off SEVEN days a week.

Also, I've asked some of my clients to wear a pedometer, for 72 hours, in hopes of getting a handle on their general activity. Here too I was surprised. My client who wants to lose 100 pounds averaged 9,000 steps a day prior to getting started with me.

My point is that in terms of RELATIVE importance getting the eating right is IMMENSELY more important than exercise.
  5. chrisleakfan4life

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Yeah true, well its more around 40-50 pounds but im really more focused on losing inches than i am pounds.

I'm more about how i look than i am weight numbers.
  6. mauijab

mauijab VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    yes to all . however the energy expenditure did change also as my weight dropped . i did feel like i got a better workout carrying an extra 65 pounds then i did when i was moving faster and taking less breaks . the more i lost , the slower it came off . i am capable of doing more difficult hikes now that i could not do when i was 240 pounds . swimming seems to be a little more strenuous with out my extra buoyancy .

i do believe in exercise , however , i do not have the spare time to increase my physical activities . i have 3 stores and 25 employees is the main reason i do not have a lot of spare time . a lot of people do not have enough time between work , family , and social obligations like flying to florida for football games to increase their output but could change their input .

the first 2 weeks of the decreased input was the hardest . it got a lot easier after that . it took me 6 months to lose 65 pounds .
  7. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,436
    You've did it right. Somebody else has the cart before the horse.