Foley's Baby

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by bbreece1, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +414
    This is exactly right. The premise of the thread is completely wrong.

Everyone at UAA understands that football powers the train that is UF athletics. Football doesn't exactly have a bottomless pit, but I can assure you that if a dollar can be spent that will make a difference in our W/L, they get it.

If these other sports have distracted Foley so much, then how have we won 3 NCs in football and 2 in b-ball while he was here?
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +175
    How do the Criminoles or any other Florida state school do in the cup rankings? Maybe they keep missing the easy lay ups. My point: maybe it's not as easy as you think.
  3. southernmost

southernmost Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Your point is invalid.

The football program makes so much money that not only does it fund most of the UAA (with Billy D's hoops making most of the rest), but it also kicks MILLIONS into the academic scholarship fund.

We do not simply take that jock money and make more jocks. It enhances the entire university.
  4. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    Did you miss the part about being the top school in the state or did you just ignore it. We are the school in this state in more ways than sports.

I remember when the Noles played UCLA for the roundball title followed by Artis Gilmore and a Jax team that also lost to UCLA. I waited decades for us to match losing in the final game of the big dance and later beating both schools by winning it all. Decades of patience on that one.

Football on the other hand is not something many of us will wait on.
  5. Brewski

Ratings Received:
    +175
    Even with the best talent, you need good coaching. In most sports Foley's done a good job at that. Even lacrosse, with limited Florida talent, Foley found a gem for that program.
  6. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    It is rather hilarious to suggest that "other" sports are draining assets that should put more funding into football. With the coaching search, I have taken a look at the UAA's aviation fleet. The UAA has two executive jets that combined probably cost 7.5 to 10 million$$; and for which the yearly operating costs are quite high.

The UAA can well afford to support any sport at any level that it chooses.

The whole premise of this thread is bogus.
  7. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +545
    The Sears Trophy or whatever it is called is indicative of an overall successful athletic program, but lets be honest here. When you try to internet trash talk, nobody measures the size of the penis by how many women's lacross national championships you won. Up here in NC, women's soccer at UNC is the most powerful sports program in the history of sports. It blows away the Celtics of the 60s or whenever it was they won like 10 + in a row or something ridiculous like that.

Ask any UNC fan and their reaction will be "so what?" If you school is defined athletically by a particular sport, you value that sport's success so much more than the others. WE do it too.

The All Sports thing is pretty darn cool to be that successful in so many sports though.
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,279

That's all fine and good, but the marque money generating part of the athletics program (football) needs to be able to afford the best Coach in America to continue generating millions of dollars a year in revenue/profit. We should find a way to hire and pay for the best coaches AND assistant coaches out there... If we pay accordingly we might be able to keep the good ones from leaving like Kirby Smart at 'bama. Although... I'd like to see us land the Offensive equivalent and keep him for 5 or 6 years in a row... This is not all on Foley but he does hold the purse-strings on the coaching staff.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    It is good that we have a good swim team, a good women's soccer team and all, but without the funding of football, none of those sports can have as much backing.

So you can't make mistakes with the life blood of the program or the entire program falters, hurting all sports.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brewski

Ratings Received:
    +175
    Stanford football was pretty bad pre-2008. They won the Director's Cup around 12 years in a row back then. I agree football is the bread winner. But, you can be good in other sports as well, even if football is down.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +609
    When Bama had one really good year (2 years ago) in non-revenue sports, they built a multimillion dollar facility lauding their non-revenue sports programs. You may think they do not care about them, but they clearly do. And, their fans made sure we knew they were the number 1 sports program in the SEC at the time, even though Florida still finished ahead of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,723
    It's an outrage that we don't have either basketball or football national title since Foley go the job. I'd gladly trade those 24 gymnastics titles for just one NC in the big two.

Oh, well, a Gator can dream I guess.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  13. Distant Gator

Ratings Received:
    +414
    I am a big non-revenue sports guy- and I totally agree with this. But I submit Foley is a smart guy- he knows this.
  14. FranceGator

FranceGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +70
    Go women's lacrosse! Great sport, fun to watch.

I am very happy with the performance of our Athletic Director. I'm glad that all our sports get the "culture of excellence" treatment. The women's lacrosse team got this treatment, three years before their first game, and wound up being top 3 nationally in their second year.

Football will be fine. Our coach was the SEC Coach of the Year last year, he'll be so next year as well. Go Gators.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. navygator88

navygator88 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    [​IMG]

Just......................no. More than enough money to make sure every sport UF fields has the best equipment, coaches, facilities, etc.
  16. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I did not mean to cause all this agitation. It was my sole contention that I --PERSONALLY-- along with I believe significant others, do not take an abundance of pride and/or satisfaction in sports that are rarely seen on TV unless a Championship is involved. I did not mean to demean in any way the excellence of the people who compete in these sports. There is an unspoken reason that Olympics are only seen once every 4 years---nobody would watch the events more than 2 or 3 times. If my child was a soccer player or swimmer I would be a huge fan but I still would not believe anyone outside of immediate family, friends, or significant others would care. We derive our vicarious pleasure from football(usually), basketball and if we are good baseball. I can assume many of you take a large amount of pride in being good in everything, I take pride in football and basketball and I would guess most people selecting a university for to some degree a sports connection do so for football and basketball. If anyone can tell me honestly that more than 1 % of people who attend a university with the sports experience in mind, do it for any other sports besides football and basketball I would be surprised. I'm 99% sure that donations and applications to Florida did not increase after National Championships in soccer, gymnastics or golf. Agreed? If you do, that is what I've been saying.
    • Boring Boring x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    If the UAA budget is so flush and essentially there is money for whatever any sport needs at any level ...
    then why does it take 3-4 years to get money to renovate the O'Dome? Where is the indoor training facility that football wants?

Don't tell me we can spend any amount needed on every sport and that the 2 big dogs of football and basketball never have any unmet needs. That's just not true. The gators have very nice football facilities but they're not the very best. The gator basketball facilities are really good but nowhere near the very best.

Not advocating any changes in spending in any way. I'm just repeating the simple truth that football and basketball do not have blank checks or bottomless funds. Also not saying we must have an indoor facility.
  18. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I would love all the minor sports to be GREAT as long as no money was ever diverted from the programs that provide all the lavish facilities. I don't know how many people have sat in on a lacrosse match--I actually did at Johns Hopkins----at Florida nor do I know how many line up to buy gymnastics tickets? I would hope all these sports draw sell out crowds and make our efforts to provide the very best a good investment. Even if they were drawing marginal crowds, the participants still deserve an opportunity to play, however, I believe that Meccas should usually be constructed for events that warrant signature facilities. I'm sure some will readily come up with names--without peeking---but I can not name anyone on gymnastics team, lacrosse team, soccer team, tennis team, golf team or synchronized water dancing team. It is only my opinion--obviously--but I just have the belief the AD has skated on a couple of issues due to the excellence of teams under his direction that nobody can name a participant.
  19. Distant Gator

Ratings Received:
    +414
    My point is that if there is anything that could get us one more win in football or b-ball then that dollar would be spent. An indoor practice facility is nice but is it needed in Florida? If we upgraded our b-ball facility would we win more? (Honest question.)

My understanding is no- these money making sports get anything reasonable that they want. And they should because they drive the train for the rest of the program.
  20. gators8

gators8 Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I have to admit, I enjoy watching the Lady Gators play softball.