1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Foley's Baby

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bbreece1, Dec 12, 2013.

1. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    One of the things that has given Foley's tenure such a positive reaction is the inimitable All Sports Trophy. I will ask all you guys/girls, how many Championships in volleyball or tennis or swimming or softball or soccer or lacrosse or track and field or gymnastics or any other "minor" sport would you willingly forego for ONE in football? I'm guessing for most of you--unless you are a relative, friend or boy friend or girl friend---the tradeoff for a Championship in football would be on the order of about 60 to 1. Taking that in account--unless you disagree---how much should success in "minor" sports contribute to reputation of an AD? I may be one of the most liberated males in America and my wife has an HR company so I'm all for gender equality and the opportunity for women to compete in all these sports. At the same time I recognize that football and basketball sustains these sports and I'm probably like many of you who have rarely or never attended one of these sports. If you were to answer honestly, how many of you feel a special tingle for a soccer championship? I would say--Well, I won't even guess---a significant number care about one thing and when one thing is what your audience and benefactors care about that is how you should be judged. I know nothing of Alabama's minor sports and I would bet the majority of Bama faithful really don't base support and donations on their support. Agreed??
    • Boring Boring x 13
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +507
    Since there is no possibility to actually do what you suggest, it is a moot point. Do you agree that if we are going to have those sports, we should strive to be the best in them? And would you further agree that the level of success we have had across all of those sports for a really really long time is a testament to the efficiency and proper administration of the Athletics Department?
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171
    We've won football championships. And don't get me wrong, I want more. But I would really like to see Mary Wise earn one. Same for Rhonda Faehn. The soccer championship over UNC was fantastic. I think this thread is silly and I will not quantify how many championships I'd trade in one sport for another, because championships in different sports ARE mutually exclusive. And what exactly is the point of this thread?
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    The point was to remind people what most individuals really care about. As far as our success in these programs, could a significant portion of that credit be attributed to our AD's interest in those sports as opposed to other schools? I, as do I think majority, care about the sports that appear on TV on a regular basis and when there is success in these sports you have increases in donations and increased number of applicants who want to have a great academic 4 years as well as a great sports 4 years. You will not see any quantum increase in money or incoming SAT scores based upon soccer results. Once again, I would fight to keep these sports as part of the opportunity for participation and for funding but I certainly will not forget what sports make the PREMIERE facilities in minor sports possible.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Boring Boring x 2
  5. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +903
    Both responses to the OP so far are spot on.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    It would be an interesting study to see what % of bama's football revenue goes back into football versus UF's. I agree bama is pretty pathetic in many sports, and that the average bammer could care less. I'm not sure how I feel about UF's success in minors . Would I trade a couple of tennis and volleyball titles for another football title? The athletic budget is limited and when you strive for excellence in minor sports, the major sports can suffer. Can you say indoor facility for football?

Not to hijack an interesting thread, but did any of this come into play when Foley got a relatively cheap football coach with no head coaching experience? Was saving some bucks a factor?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Boring Boring x 2
  7. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Windover, I'm betting you would trade more than jist a couple.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  8. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,196
  9. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,748
    What a bizarre thread. It's as of the OP thinks that if we're good in the 'minor' sports, it somehow means we can't be good in the 'major' sports and vice-versa.

But yet the All-Sports trophy, as the name implies, covers ALL sports, both major and minor. And the reason we've done so well in the All Sport trophies under Foley is because we've been good in ALL sports, both major and minor.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Saukuf

Saukuf Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    ...sometimes....maybe...
  11. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    What a bizarre thread. It's as of the OP thinks that if we're good in the 'minor' sports, it somehow means we can't be good in the 'major' sports and vice-versa.
    Don't see where anyone implied anything of the sort..Not to answer for him, but I think BB is wondering if Major sport championships should be more important to an AD's rep than the school's All sports standing.

But yet the All-Sports trophy, as the name implies, covers ALL sports, both major and minor. And the reason we've done so well in the All Sport trophies under Foley is because we've been good in ALL sports, both major and m
    inor.
    No one is saying anything to the contrary. My point is, perhaps poorly written, that with a finite budget, it costs a lot of money to be excellent at every sport. I contend that the more money spent on minor sports is money not spent on the major sports. Haven't really given that much thought though. I will confess that every time we win a title in minor sports I gig my nole and tide friends, knowing how they suck generally.
    Please don't bring up Title IX, I know and understand it well enough.
    • Boring Boring x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,222
    You couldn't see that 2013 Gymnastics National Champions banner hanging in the O-Dome in some of the shots from the Kansas basketball game?

:p
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Sean, I'm just wondering how people would react if there was any chance of expenditures and "excessive" interest in minor sports by the AD affecting the sports that gave Florida its reputation? I don't want the minor sports to languish. It's all about directing attention to the product line that people are most interested?
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171
    Thanks for sharing the great news. I moved away from Hogtown last year and am not as closely in touch. Guess this means Foley is placing too much emphasis on gymnastics. :p
  15. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +719
    I'd rather win FB and men's basketball championships than any other, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it when women's sports or other men's sports win championships too. Those other sports show that UF is diverse when it comes to the athletic department. I don't think Foley doesn't realize that FB pays the bills, but he's obligated to make sure other sports have all they need to be successful. A couple of poor hires doesn't mean he isn't up to the task of getting the right coach in football. Although, he didn't do a great job on his last hire I will concede.
  16. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    To answer your question, I care a lot about a soccer championship, or a track championship, or a swimming championship. I especially care about cross country championships as I had a daughter and grand children run XC and I have seen the dedication it entails. You see the young people playing those sports are usually committed student-athletes. very often they are superior studentt as well as accomplished athletes. They are competing hard for the University and for the love of their sport. I admire, and love what they do.

Now, I was raised in an era when there were basically three sports in high school. I played football and baseball; and sub-varsity basketball. I love those sports. I am a big fan of all three at the collegiate level. But, I do not kid myself into thinking that most of the participants at the FBS , or equivalent level, are actually student-athletes. There are exceptions; and I applaud them. But, they are exceptions.

On another level, I have no idea what point you are trying to make.
  17. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,270
    Well to the kids who actually bust their ass to compete/win and and dedicate a portion of their life trying to perfect volleyball, gymnastics, baseball, softball, etc. probably care a great deal about having a AD who doesn't completely ignore "The other sports" just because they don't bring in the big money. And they don't discredit his achievement with them because he's only won 3 national titles here in football and just had a 4-8 season, all while the "other sports" are wildly successful.

remember it wasn't that long ago that basketball was just a "other sport" at UF.

I would think as a employer if you can find someone who is successful across the board he's a keeper.

Foley has been ad in some capacity, asst. AD or AD since 1981. So any success and money football has had in the last 32 yrs he has hand a hand in one way or another.

He also serves as the chief financial officer for the UAA, so his responsibilities are far more than most probably imagine....and he has done a fine job at it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +906
    Bama is very good in gymnastics, baseball, and software (I must be stoned to get that mixed up with softball). Especially in gymnastics.
  19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,045
    The idea that fans value championships differently in different sports makes sense, but taking it to the extent that success in some sports comes at the expense of other sports is hard to fathom. If anything, it gives each of the teams something to lift each other up with and motivate each other with.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +789
    With one of the most populated states, with some of the best athletes in the nation, how hard is it to just reap the reward for not screwing it up. We should win in all sports as the talent we have in this state along with this being the top school in the state makes winning only an uncontested lay up away.
    • Boring Boring x 1