Foley on O-dome renovations

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by iam4uf, Feb 10, 2014.

1. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +387
    Even after 30+ years I still like the facility, but it will be nice to get the upgrades.
    http://www.floridatoday.com/article...-Jeremy-Foley-NCAA-s-next-move?nclick_check=1

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. peteypab

peteypab Member

Ratings Received:
    +112
    Hmmm, not sure I like the sound of this. Before you know it the students will be moved completely behind the basket, or up into the nosebleeds. Renovations usually are used as a way to generate more revenue, and students get in free......... I really hope they don't do something terrible and hurt one of the best student sections in the country.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  3. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    The pictures seem to keep the Rowdies area in tact. I just want them to flip the camera so the nation gets to watch our incredible student section all game.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    Exactly, it is totally different watching their faces vs seeing the back of their heads. I wonder if it has been mentioned or not but I think it is good for recruiting. College players want to come to places that have passionate fans and the Rowdy Reptiles are as good as anybody else in the country.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +219
    Isn't it pretty much standard practice at all schools to have the camera's positioned so you can see the benches? I think the players and coaches should get more TV face time than the fans. The seats behind the benches are also premium seats and they will never make those seats free to students.
  6. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    Maybe I'm missing something, what pictures?
  7. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +751
    I don't even care if we get to see the rowdies, I just want to see the freaking court. Them standing all game doesn't let you see that side of the court. I don't want them to sit down, so they should flip the camera.
  8. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +741
    I have been vocally critical of Foley and this is one of the reasons why. Raise money? WTH? Most of our competitors facilities have exceeded ours. Ridiculous. The O'Dome should be torn down TBH.
  9. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +751
    Yeah, raise money, why? The athletic endowment is huge. Use some of it. It's just like Harvard, selfishly accepting more donations that smaller colleges could use, when they could pay the salaries and tuition of everyone in perpetuity using just the interest of their endowment.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,762
    Duke shows the students...not the benches...That is why they are so famous. They are the face of Duke basketball.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,762
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 5
  12. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,052
    Very nice
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Of course he wants to raise money. It's why he is one of the best athletic directors in the country. He is very conservative in spending, but still spends what is needed. Dude will get the money, there is no worry there. Especially if we keep doing well this season. Love the pictures I've seen of the renovation. It's about time UF had an overhead video because the ones on the side suck.
  14. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +391
    Time is right for Donovan Court.
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    Thanks!
  16. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +345
    Actual seats in the lower bowl. About time. Never did like bench seating. Too bad they couldn't do more of that in BHG Stadium.
  17. keypox

keypox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    I always liked the bleacher seats. I think it was 07 or 08 that they spent a bunch of money putting the screens in the 4 corners. Now they are getting rid of them? They were pretty odd you had to look to the side, back or all the way across the arena.

What was in there before was pretty grainy tho...
  18. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,041
    If I'm not mistaken, about 200 seats will be lost in the lower bowl because of the seat back chairs being put in. That kind of stinks. But let's face it, it is not comfortable seating in Level 1. Not that I'm complaining. I have no problem with being slightly uncomfortable while watching the Gators from close up.

Hopefully, the student section will not have seat backs. Don't encourage them to sit down.
  19. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,939
    What I don't understand, and it may be stated in the media information, does the renovations effectively eliminate the indoor track? I always thought that the reason behind the uncomfortable seating was to make it capable for moving two levels out of the way.
  20. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Pretty interesting piece.

So, Foley's contract expires in 2018 (I think he will be 66 then).

Seat backs rather than benches. Even lowly USF's Sun Dome has always had seat backs. Obviously, the ODome is relatively antiquated.

Suites - depending on how many we think we can sell, what the FANS want. Do you think this is even a question for Duke, Kentucky, or UCLA? Football schools - EGADS!!!

Yes, seeking specific funding for specific purposes always occurs. As few perhaps realize, there are only perhaps 5-10 universities that have football teams who don't take money from the academic side of the balance sheet to help the football-due-to expensive athletic budget. Two good examples of this are UCF and Houston. Unlike USF, which is now used as a model for starting football programs. UCF, when they first got started, had to move between $2 and $4 million dollars from their academic budget over to help support their football team (mostly). In the 1990s, Houston, who used to have a superior team in the 60-70s, spent about $5 million per year of Academic Funds to support football, merely because it created so much recognition and general funding (which is vital to today's business-oriented universities). UF, has been one of the "in the red" universities athletically, but it really isn't by a lot of money (perhaps a maximum of $10 million in a very good, two national championship year). When you provide funds for over 20 athletic programs, that costs a lot of money.

He, and the other major Athletic Universities (the Big 5 Conferences), are strongly seeking more financial support for their Scholar-Athlete-Slaves, although $2,000 per 9-month year doesn't seem like much to me, however, he notes that the Big 5 is far from the majority and most schools simply can't afford to do that (which of course is true, largely due to the insanely high Head Coach, Faculty, Administrator and President/Chancellor salaries they idiotically pay out. By the way, Chancellor's used to be like Baliffs in English courtrooms - they helped control the riffraff who frequently trials to get away from the rotten English weather. So, they are literally Police - what a horrible name for the head of a University or University System. Almost as absurd as the Drunken Fighting Irish, Fighting Quakers, Violets, or Fighting Banana Slugs as school Mascots (sorry, one of my many pet peeves as a tangent).

He said one thing that was clearly designed to avoid trouble for UF: "... nobody wants to break away from the NCAA, the NCAA structure is necessary on a lot of different fronts — academic standards, enforcement, obviously championships, whatever have you." Absolutely no one in their right mind could actually believe that.
    • Informative Informative x 2