Florida's last 8 games dating back to last season

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by slayerxing, Sep 11, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Yeah makes total sense to compare us to a team like Tennessee, who played Austin Peay and Western Kentucky.

Good thinkin.
  2. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    1) Didn't at least three of last year's six teams finish in the top 20? The jury is still out on how good Miami is. All we know is that they're better than we are.

2) Getting yards and getting in the end zone are two different things. Playing for yardage and time-of-possession as your primary goals are very Zookish things to do and a good way to get fired.

3) Yardage in the red zone is a lot more difficult than yardage between the 20's. The red zone is where sloppy offenses get exposed, because there is less margin for error. And the fact that our offense couldn't push around the Miami defense in the red zone after gaining 40 minutes time-of-possession is just embarrassing. Protecting the football is NOT the only thing wrong with this offense. Playcalling and execution in the red zone are equally important, as is figuring out what to do with a weak OL. We aren't going to win too many games on field goals alone.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    1) Yes, and two of them beat us

2) They are, but keep in mind we did NEITHER well last year. This is inherently an improvement.

3) Of course yardage in the red zone is a lot more difficult, but when you're in the red zone, it generally means points. Last year we didn't even get there most of the time. Playcalling and execution is paramount to protecting the football.

We're a better team offensively this year. We'll all be laughing at this threads come December.
  4. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887
    First of all, WKU's defense was ranked #26 last year. Toledo was #109 and Miami was #116.

Second, the comparison was to the whole SEC. So if you want to include teams like Austin Peay in the teams the SEC has played so far, you have to include Virginia Tech, South Carolina, TCU, Clemson, Georgia and Vanderbilt as well.

I'm happy that we've put up more yardage in our first two games. It's just my opinion that the numbers are better due to who we are playing, not real improvement on offense. There won't be any real way to tell until the season unfolds.
  5. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Agreed. Dead last is dead last. The sample size is big enough that we shouldn't be DFL. And I'm sure our strength of schedule has been about average when compared with the rest of the SEC. Georgia scored more last week against one of the better teams in the conference than we have in our 2 games combined. Talk about getting lapped by the field.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,441
    Good points.

Some people seem to think that turnovers and lack of scoring in the red zone was an aberration in the Miami game. But both are problems that have haunted us well into last year.

I do agree by the end of season we will have a much better looking offense, if JD stays healthy.

The question I don't quite see clearly is, how does everyone here define a 'much better offense'?

More wins than last year? A better O yardage per game? Less turnovers?

For me, it's still get to the SEC Championship game and win it. If we do that, the O & D have done their jobs!
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Toledo and Miami returned most of their defense, WKU lost their line and 2 linebackers. Even in their win over Kentucky they gave up 420 yards.

Miami and Toledo have fared better.
  8. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887
    Yeah, because they've both played us! Duh!!! :D
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
  10. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    Bottom line, this O has trouble scoring period. I don't think scoring matters so much to WM as long as we win and thats true. If we win all of our games by one point we would be happy. We'd have something to show for it.

Problem is, this style of O and our personnel, we keep teams in the games when they should be buried. We eat clock and far to often WE HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT. We have played 2 not very good defenses, and ya'll know we will be facing far better defenses down the road. Already we have a banged up OL. Do you really think the way we play smash mouth offense our OL will hold up? Do you think we have quality backups that will be able to run block and pass block effectively? What good is stats, TOP, yardage if in the end there is a back fat L? Stats don't always tell the story. Would you not trade scums stats and come out with a W instead of an L?

What if teams are using the bend but break D, knowing that sooner or later we will bog down or when things are tightened in the redzone, and we can get uf in a third and long, they will usually implode. Is that not what is going on?

Talent alone, we should beat ut, uk, arky, but LSU, UGA, USCE and sow? LSU will be a bit easier because they are imo almost identical to us. Great D but their O is much like ours. How many titles recently have they won with this run and dumb O?

I know WM won't change his view regarding the O. My prediction is this, uf will have a winning season for the next 3 years with WM but will not win the sec east. More times than not uga will win and we may split with sow although Winston is legit and we cannot outscore them imo. After 3 years a decision will have to be made not so much by JF but by Bull Gators and lack of fans in stadium, is this good enough for uf? Is being good but not great acceptable. Because imo that's what WM brings. A great D, but an O that will allow good teams to remain in the game and it will come back and bite us. JMHO is all.
  11. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I just think some of you guys are missing the point. We know this offense isnt great we also know it doesnt have great talent. It is getting better each year and right now they are doing what gives us the best chance to win. In 2014 the talent of the unit changes along with the experience compared to other teams.
  12. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    they should be even better in 2015 with a year of experience for grier even as a backup.
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    hard to say the offense will be better with a redshirt freshmen that with a Sr QB but Grier will have a ton of weapons around him so there shouldn't be a real drop off since everybody around him will have one more year of experience.
  14. GatorDad

GatorDad New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    It's not about the stats. To me it's about the respect opposing defenses have for our offense. At this point, opposing defenses have little fear of our offense. Sure we may dink and dunk for a few more yards, but no one seems to fear the big plays, and defenses don't have to gamble to keep our offense in check. That leads to what we saw in Miami. Move the ball ok, no big scoring plays, lots of opportunity for our offense to screw up. We need a more dangerous and versatile offense. I think we could do it, if we loosen the reigns and let them play.
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Toledo seemed to fear the big play with the defense they were playing
    We threw deep on Miami
  16. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Watch out for our offense in 2033 when Kelvin Taylor's son suits up for us. Then we will be explosive.
  17. GatorDad

GatorDad New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Yeah, Ok. Get back to me when we learn to hit crossing patterns that bust for TD's outside the redzone, and regularly go over the top for TD's. Throwing the ball to set up the run is different than throwing the ball to score.
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    lol ok
  19. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    It's not the only thing wrong, but it's the biggest issue that prevented UF from winning the game on Saturday.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    In the article just posted today, "It's a loss Get over it" it was stated WM wants to run a safe O. He wants JD to manage the game and not have to win it. He wants the D to be strong so we don't play from behind.
    That's all good and well, but, we will face MUCH better offenses and teams know we will play safe. We rarely throw on first downs so if i'm a DC, I do my best to get uf in in 3rd and long and two things will usually happen, incomplete, short yardage throw, or int. At any point a long drive will stall esp. in redzone.
    Against scum we ave. 2.8 ypc. We really fooled them or WM must think because we're florida we will run over everyone. This O won't change. But if we lose enough games with this run and done, he won't be here all that long. I don't want to be an LSU and always play runner up.