Florida's last 8 games dating back to last season

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by slayerxing, Sep 11, 2013.

1. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    Our offense had big play potential with Harvin. When you played Meyer's Florida, it was more a matter of limiting 40+ yard plays, not eliminating them. Oklahoma did that and we only won by 10.

Yes our defense against the highest scoring O ever was a stronger testament to that game's outcome, but we were a complete team. If Tebow doesn't throw a rare pick (maybe there was two,) we add at least one more TD.

I'll take outstanding special teams play and a shutdown D any day over a Jimmy Chang or Bo Jackson offense, but I do miss the days when football in the State of Florida didn't need to worry about discipline/penalties having an effect on offensive production. The talent wasn't outsourced and the road to championships and the NFL basically ran through the state and Tide fans in south Alabama born in the '80s had Wuerffel posters over their bedboards (true story.)

If WM doesn't work out, many of us will be punching ourselves for trying to be like Bama...errr.. Saban's Big-10 running Bama in the first place. Their discipline on the field, buck horn juice, or whatever is just an exception to the rule. No reason we can't take the "pro -style" players we have and regularly run 4-wide sets under center.
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I have been saying this since the game ended.
  3. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    The athletes on offense are going to be so much better in the coming years
  4. Speedgator84

Speedgator84 Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Operation Red Gator

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also great initial post, and it confirms that we are capable of moving the ball. What would tell the story even more is our conversions in the red zone. Miami offensive stats paled in comparison to us, but their abilty to cross the goal line won them the most important stat...the score.

We need to get some attitude/energy going once we get in the red zone. Nevermind Red Bull for energy, lets have "Operation Red Gator' for actually converting (scoring)! Read option, power formation- pass to TE, quick slants, and fade routes...all potential arsenals in Red Gator!
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    The sad part is we really dont have a TE for the Redzone or a starting WR for a fade route. They ran a nice play action play to get Dunbar open inside but the LB read it and got in the passing lane forcing Jeff to throw the ball high.
  6. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    I'll anticipate your answer, but why haven't we seen Drob go long on a sideline wheel route or deep post yet. Why? I heard so much about his hands and smooth, effortless route running.

Answer has to be he's either (actually) bad at the deep route or we don't practice it which directs attention back to JD's poor reads or a poor oline or both. I'll bet on both.
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I just think Dunbar and Patton have played well enough to keep him off the field for now while he is continuing to learn the game and earn snaps. I dont think it has much to do with Jeff or the Oline.
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,252
    To Gods Ears AZ.
  9. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    Fair enough. Learn snaps? Like, when the ball is snapped, initiate the play?

This is not an effort to be a smart ass but.. How can I live in your world? You're on call with everything Gator football, fact or opinion.
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I meant earn snaps.
  11. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    (^ pertaining to Drob)

"while he is continuing to learn the game." As much as I hate to point this out; we might be reading stuff like this from the coaches all season. He's a highly talented freshman wide receiver. He doesn't have to learn blocking, etc to be effective on a couple big play calls NOW. Can he catch or not, dang it!? Opponents don't know who he is.

I'm talking one or two plays designed around HIM. Don't tell me other schools don't do it. Shoot, Driskel can look at at Harrison's butt until it's time to look for an open #11 on HIS play. We can run that play once a half at least.

Can Driskel not over throw it?
  12. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    We probably just dont agree on this issue. People would say the same stuff about putting Debose in the game to run a deep route last year.

So they call a play for D rob to go deep and its covered then what?

I think they should just run the offense. We have seen Patton and Dunbar get vertical this year and as of right now the staff thinks they should be out there. I haven't seen something that says they shouldn't be.
  13. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,559
    As others have said, I've been saying the same.

The problem is turnovers. We would have destroyed Miami if we just got rid of a couple of them. Cannot go 1 for 6 in the Redzone. We completely shut down Miami's offense and it's a great shame we didn't win by plenty.
  14. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    Then we say "Damn, only a safety on him and Driskel didn't throw?"

Patton and Dunbar are doing OK and have gotten open. But it's Driskel that lost the Miami game and didn't see them open along with Jones.

Seriously, about the long ball, I never thought we had a better deep threat than Debose last year. He's fluid and looked a lot like what we hear from Robinson except he has break away speed.

Obviously, all that could be expected of Driskel now is for him to watch Drob break, then throw.

All I'm eluding to is why Drob hasn't been drawn up for a deep play. These 18-20 year old highly touted kid wide receivers need to be utilized for their pure athletic ability before football intelligence; not every down, but for potential game breakers that win it for us. WR is the easiest position to break out in as a freshman. You probably hit a wall as a sophomore or junior.
  15. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    It's obvious when you finally trot him on field what you're trying to do with him and that is true predictability. We didn't hit Debose much because no one thought he would catch anything over the middle and they were right. He had blazing speed up the sideline but was easy to defend because of what he couldn't or wouldn't do.

Your personnel sets have to stay the same to help hide weaknesses or catch other teams with the wrong personnel on the field to get positive matchups. It's apart of what makes multiple sets and formations for an offense successful. You can't really send someone out there that is struggling to process info or making mistakes either just because he does one thing better than everyone else. He has to be able to stay on the field and play all three downs or he hurts the offense more than any one catch he could provide.
  16. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    What if we walk Kelvin Taylor and Drob out and line them up as WRs?

I'm talking about a play or two where we at least get to see if #11 gets separation. But it ain't about us, who need points as bad as the coaches. There's always a huge opportunity with young WRs.
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    The Miami game was lost on TO's IMO maybe you see it differently.

If you are one of the people that thought Debose should be in the game just for deep route there is little I can say to you to convince you otherwise

We have seen Patton get deep and catch the ball what more do you want?

I am probably the biggest Drob fan on this site. I said he was a must get 9 months before he committed but he will get the ball when it is his time. You cant force these things. Or run plays and just throw it up in double and triple coverage.
  18. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    Say Wha?

TO's were the difference in the game. Ask me about them.

I'm sorry, let me change my tone.

Jeff Driskel demonstrated his best passing effort yet against Miami and threw for almost 300 yards. Wow! Man I feel like we did that back in 2009 or something!

But please tell me how our receivers are always double and triple covered when our "deep oline" and "stable of backs" can't move the chains in the red zone. Cheezus, we haven't even faced an SEC opponent.

AZ, I agree with almost everything you say. Probably not when it comes to rehashing games, though.
  19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Do I think we need better athletes at the Skill positions? Yes

Do I feel the coaching staff is playing the best people for the job right now? Yes

As the year goes on can the best man for the job change? Yes

People asked for some vertical passing and they got it

We have a lot of Oline injuries and that worries me. I think we miss Halipio way more than people think. He might not be the best in pass protection but he can really run block.

Miami is better than some of these upcoming SEC opponents and I doubt we turn it over 5 times
  20. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    I have to agree with you on not turning it over.

We have talent to make Sh*t happen now, if JD sees it. You and me both want to pass but we love Coach and understand his vision for the team, etc.

Jalapeno will be a much needed addition. Can't wait for a healthy Jones, Peno, to poop all over UT.