Florida's last 8 games dating back to last season

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by slayerxing, Sep 11, 2013.

1. socal_g8tr

socal_g8tr New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    So true! Where are Thompson and Taylor? I get it, they don't block too well, but I bet they can catch passes in the red zone.
  2. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    Sounds nice. But Toledo and THE THUGS dont really have a good D.
  3. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Anzalone can catch AND block.
  4. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    There's some encouraging things to consider in this thread, but tilly, I disagree with you on the bolded part. I don't think our offensive gameplan put us in position to win by a lot of points, even if it was better executed.

Our gameplan is conservative and that gives us no room for error when mistakes happen, like they did against UM in abundance. That's what many of us were worried about going into this game, and all our fears were realized.

However, the more I see of certain key players on our offense, the more I am willing to concede that the coaches are simply gameplanning around the limitations of our players.

As I've said before, when it comes to critical comments about the Gator program I prefer to direct mine toward the professionals rather than the amateurs. But it has become pretty clear that what our team needs is fewer "limitations." And there's only so much the coaches can do about that.....for now.
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,279

Great post. I agree with this and would add that not only do we need to protect the football but we also need to cut down on the stupid penalties.
  6. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    And score in the red zone. We left a lot of points on the field the past two games.
  7. UFcody

UFcody Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I am curious about Kent Taylor. He's a big target.. I get that he's not blocking so throw him out there on obvious passing situations (Dallas Clark on the colts is what I'm thinking)

I know he played a little in the redzone last year but I haven't seen him this year.
  8. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    I agree that the penalties were just as much to blame as the TO's. Look at the first series. We had a nice drive going. A solid downfield pass to Patton(?) got us somewhere inside the 30, I believe. However, T. Burton clocks some guy and now we are walked back to the 50. I know that the ensuing fumble could have occurred anywhere on the field, but it would have been very different w/ Miami starting on its own 30 instead of inside the 50. This situation repeated itself over and over - penalties kill drives and suck away momentum.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    For all the extra yardage we put up we're still 13th in the SEC in ypg, 13th in ppg and dead last in TO margin- let's not pretend we're a good offense compared to the rest of the conference.
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,708
    Given the early season matchups most of the SEC has had, this is meaningless.
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,708
    You will all see. We will be a significantly improved offense at year's end.
  12. prisch1

prisch1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    That plus 400 is a bit misleading. We had an 80 yard drive against Toledo whent the game was over--so until that point we were under 350. We did move the ball very well in the first half though.

We had a 60 yard TD drive against UM against their prevent at 20-9--so again we were under 400.

I see some slight improvement, but our best passing weapon last year was Reed. He's been replaced by guys who offer nothing in the passing game. At RB right now, we are worse off than we were last year with Gillisslee (though I hope that improves).

I just see no meaningful improvement from the offense. We have a national title level defense and a below mediocre offense. While defense wins championships your offense has to be good. We are supposed to compete for National titles. While Urb left us screwed in alot of ways it's year 3. Through 2 games I see nothing to make me think our offense will end up any better than 60-70th in the country. Miami was run all over last year--they shut our run game down. UGA was run all over last year--they shut our run game down--it's not a coincidence. Recruiting will help, but there is something wrong in our philosophy for today's college football as well.

UF 2013-58th and at PPG we are 94th.
    UF 2012--97th in O and at PPG 78th.
    UF 2011--98th in O and on PPG we were 71st

Bama 2012--19th ranked O
    Bama 2011--30th ranked O/LSU--57th
    Auburn 2010--3rd ranked O
    Bama 2009--15th ranked O
    UF--2008--9th ranked O
    LSU--2007--9th ranked O
    UF--2006 (what we remember as a defense dominated team with a serviceable O--10th)
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,708
    Yeah if we omit the drives we don't like the stats just don't look good at all!
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,708
    And yeah, replacing Reed with experienced guys who just had 100+ yard games is a disaster.
  15. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    We had 6 trips inside the opponents red zone. 6.

That's plenty of offensive possessions inside the red zone to score a LOT of points.

We had like what, 40 plays run in Miami Territory? The game plan was fine. The offense was serviceable. The execution was PISS POOR.
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,371
    Think about it. If we dont turn the ball over in our own red zone late that leaves Miami with 14 Points. If we convert our three red zone trips into TD's we end up with 37.

Best case scenario:
    Florida 37
    Miami 14

Lets say we get one TD and two FG's:
    Florida 29
    Miami 14

Now lets say we just kick field goals on all 3 trips:
    Florida 25
    Miami 14

All three ways we win somewhat comfortably. The game plan had us in position to score any of the above scenarios...

In fact the game plan had us in position to win even if we blunder 2 of the RZ trips and just simply kick one FG. Take away the turnover inside our 10 and just kick ONE FG on our 3 blundered red zone trips....

Florida 19
    Miami 14

I think we are confusing conservative with bad. Yes we have a conservative approach by nature, but it was a pretty balanced offense that threw it around quite a bit.

Heck. I wish we had just run it up the middle in the red zone and kicked FG's. If we did that we'd be 2-0
  17. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    How about Uga? Their last 10 of 13 games against ranked opponents,they have given up 30 pts or more.They have given up 68 pts in 2 games this year.....wow
  18. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +343
    I loved "Contra"! :D
  19. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Oklahoma in 2008 was the highest scoring Off. in the history of college football.....yet we raised the Crystal Ball....Because of Def.
    Auburn is the ONLY team in this SEC run of BCSC to win with a great OFF. and not Def.
  20. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +343
    Normally I would agree, but I think we had two of the best matchups with regards to putting up good offensive numbers. I realize that you can't really get a feel for a team until further in the year, but based on what we know, I'm not to confident right now...