Florida v. Southern game thoughts

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Nov 19, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    My game thoughts:

1. Hill being hurt is the big news of course. I will just say UF is usually conservative in projecting injury time. I would think there is a good chance Hill is back for Memphis in a month or maybe even KU a week earlier. BTW, he shot (really drove to the rim) quite well and had zero turnovers.

2. Before the Hill injury, the big news was D.Walker adding scoring to his defense. Now that he will need to be a PG, he will need to focus on running the offense while limiting turnovers and balancing the floor.

3. Finney-Smith predictably did not shoot as well his second game back from illness. Still he changes the dynamics of UF particularly on the boards when he is in the game. He needs to avoid bad shots and cheap fouls.

4. Prather too was due to have an off shooting night. 10 points and 9 rebounds is still a nice night even if it is puzzling how you get 6 offensive rebounds and only make 2 shots.

5. Young played well. He defended. He scored. He rebounded at least in the first half. He blocked shots. Good all around game.

6. Yeguete started slowly, but rebounded quite well in the second half. Still he is not back yet. I guess he told the announcers he was at 88.6725%. Ha.

7. Frazier had a decent night. He scored some. He got some rebounds as he does.

8. Carter again is just not ready. With Graham redshirting, the guard the guard rotation is getting thin.

9. Kurtz is amazing and is really can give UF some confident minutes this season.
  2. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +867
    Bottom line: we won.
  3. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,525
    I'd add:

-- Yeguete is struggling on both ends of the floor. Understandably.

-- The refs called an odd game, allowing all sorts of contact early on, almost as if the new contact rules had been ditched. It seemed to impact Prather the most.

-- We lack a low-post scoring threat, and when we start playing better teams this is going to be a huge problem.

-- Walker, Kurtz and Hill have really saved us so far this season, with the injuries and suspensions. You can see the confidence growing in them each game. Sad to see Kasey injured, and hopefully he can recover in team for the second half.
  4. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +675
    The hand checking was out of control. The other team was slapping at will. I don't get it. Prather got called for ridiculous stuff, and he was in foul trouble sitting for the majority of the second half, that is why he didn't score that much.

I'm bummed about Hill, he was so great out there yesterday. Chit, this sucks for the kid and the team.
  5. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    The really odd part about the fouling is going into the game southern was averaging 40 something fouls a game, they're obviously prone to fouling but somehow they get called for less than half that against us.
  6. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    The Southern staff disagrees with you here. Otherwise they would not have been trying to get a double team on Young every time he touched the ball in the post.

I would say until Donovan get the probably starting lineup playing together more, the issue is that UF does not have enough guys who can knock down open outside shots. When Wilbekin, Frazier and Finney-Smith are in the game together, then other teams will need to respect UF's perimeter.

As of now too often only one of Frazier and Finney-Smith in the game at a time, meaning opponents can double off of several players with only the threat of them getting a pass out and slashing to the hoop. Certainly Prather, D.Walker and Hill are very dangerous slashers to the hoop, but a coach can double off them and then have his defense rotate to try to defend the rim.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,203
    True. They had everyone sagging in the paint so whenever the ball went into the post they had an easy double. Young passed much better out of those last night, though he still probably lets that force him into taking more bad shots than he should. The more spacing we have, the easier it will be to get post feeds and finishes.
  8. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    The most inconsistently called game I've seen so far this year...but it's a long season, so I'm sure we'll see some more inexplicable stuff. The one foul call when Patric was defending one of their bigs, and their guy was initiating contact and Patric had perfect position and the dude was just bashing into him three times in a row, trying to post up an immovable force of nature...that one was the worst I'd seen all year.
  9. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I thought we took a bit of a nose dive when Hill went out got to shooting random 3's early in the shot clock. It was nice to see Billy D get animated when Frazier took the 3rd early 3 in a row. We will be fine overall but I'd feel much better if Wilbekin made it back on the team.
  10. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    That was strange to me. I didnt expect us to be as fluid with him out of the game, but at times it was like they were completely unaware of how to run even the most basic concepts of our offense
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,203
    When you don't have anyone to force actions in the open court or break the defense down off the high ball screen, it is very tempting to take the first available shot rather than the best shot. Without Hill, we had guys out of position and in uncomfortable roles they hadn't practiced much. I suspect we look a little different Thursday.
  12. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +701
    It started to get so ugly at the point, I was ready to send Li'l Billy in and turn the job over to him. I sense that he's at least got the mental makeup of a point guard. Involve your teammates, first, last, and in-between.
  13. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +464
    Actually Planet, I think that is a very good idea. Admittedly, this will be helped a lot when Carter (a shame to lose his red shirt), Walker, or Finney-Smith, or someone (who else could it be?) gets some practice playing the point.
  14. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I think some of the problem is that Wilbekin is practicing. That means Hill and Wilbekin burn up the vast majority of practice minutes at the PG spot, yet only Hill could play and he was injured.

I think D.Walker since he played PG in high school will quickly adjust and get UF through MTSU with no problem.
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    I have seen worse and the call was technically correct but ridiculous in the context of the play. The first two contacts were clearly initiated by the Southern player and more than incidental. As a defensive player on the floor right then I would be thinking that the refs are letting that kind of contact go for the moment so I can be a bit more aggressive in keeping position. The third time the Southern player made his move PY moved in instead of holding his ground and he got the whistle.

I told my wife that if I was reffing the game it would have been a no call, but I didn't have a whistle last night.

At least this is my recollection of the events from my seat and not from TV and replays.

YMMV.
  16. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +701
    Actually, if technical correctness (aarrggh, the dreaded TC) is what we're going for, the Southerner should have been called for charging each time he initiated the contact.
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Yeah, but it wasn't called. Maybe they were thinking that Shaq was playing for Southern.
  18. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +405
    Agree with some that we are lacking a low post scoring threat. Young has never been consistent and has struggled for the most part this season. Yeguette contributes in other ways but is still basically a liability on the offensive end and that is basically it.

Hopefully, Young can build off his solid second half last night and give us more of an inside presence because, unfortunately, we don't have a lot of other options right now.
  19. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +337
    Nice recap, but really miss Tupac's grades.
    May I suggest:
    Everyone but Hill gets a C+. We won, but this was Southern. 20+ was in order.
    Hill - I. Incomplete
    Two suspended guys F-
    Donnovan - D