Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida traffic law

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by MichiGator2002, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:13 PM.

1. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Anybody an expert on Florida traffic law? I'm asked on an application if I've been found guilty of a moving violation in the past five years. I was ticketed in late 2014 for speeding in Marsh Landing (oooh aaaah), and I went to traffic school. I actually bought a 7 year driving record and it makes no reference to what would have been the only moving violation. So... what's the answer? Was I found guilty? It's very frustrating because this all came up because I was simply trying to find out the date of the citation which doesn't feel like $25 well spent right about now.

2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting... I wonder about that too.

3. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's my understanding if you pay the ticket you're admitting guilt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MichiGator2002

Apr 3, 2007
    That was always my understanding as well, and that all traffic school spared you was the points. And yet, there is no mention of the violation on my driving report (the date of which, again, was the sole purpose in obtaining the report).

5. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's really strange....maybe a failure to enter your violation into the computer.

6. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Did the traffic school expunge your record?

7. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I got a ticket from Apopka years ago. I was commuting from Gainesville to Maitland, with a start time in the Maitland Center at 7:00 am. The stoplight at the corner of Errol Parkway and 441 snapped a photo of me allegedly running a red light, but the problem with that was, the photo clearly showed the light was NOT red but yellow. There was an angry commuter tailgating just behind me. I said bleep it, and paid the fee as it costs less to make a special trip to Apopka to dispute it. I've wondered if when they ran my tags and saw where I lived they decided to dare me to fight it. It still shows up on background reports as a moving violation. Freaking Apopka.

8. MichiGator2002

Apr 3, 2007
    I have never understood traffic school to do anything other than make sure you have points. But is that all a moving violation's existence is, a sum of your points? *shrug* I would totally call the DMV or SJSO but... y'know, night.

9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think it does... I thought that it's for your car insurance and that's about it.

10. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    I once got a ticket for doing 95 in a 65 mph zone (hey I was young and bullet-proof on a deserted road) and I was able to pay $275 (every dollar I had on me) "on the spot" . Never showed up on my record. The FHP should contact that Georgia sheriff (c/o Ga DOC) for advice on how to increase efficiency and streamline the process the way his department had.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. helix139

helix139 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Traffic school usually results in adjudication withheld IIRC.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Just send in a copy of the report you printed out with the answer,,,,,,,

If you believe this report, the answer is no.

13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You wouldn't pay the ticket AND go to traffic school, that would be a double waste of money. The way the racket used to work (haven't received a ticket in a long time, thankfully) is that you would pay an exorbitant amount of money to attend a traffic school (somewhere close to the cost of the ticket), and that no points would be assigned to your license, and there was no "guilty" admission or anything like that. The best solution used to be hiring the ticket-defense attorneys that offered guarantees where the cost of the attorney was less than the cost of the ticket and the cost of driving school. I had to hire two ticket defense attorneys years ago, and they were both 2-0 for me ($60 the first time and $90 the second time, first one in the 90's, second one probably about 15 years ago). I'm sure they are in on the game, but it was easily the best option from where I was sitting. It's possible the game has changed since then, but the ultimate goal was to keep the insurance rates from going up, and that was based on points on your license (or other recorded incidents).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

14. MichiGator2002

Apr 3, 2007
    Appreciate all the replies. I'm also just going to see if I can find a deputy at the gas station or something and ask them for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    I would lean towards being overly disclosive. Attach an explanation of the circumstances to the application if you can. It's not worth it to get your application thrown out on the chance the organization you're sending it to disagrees with your interpretation of being "found guilty." Particularly so if you're sending it to the government or any kind of financial institution, where a false or misleading statement could have significant negative implications.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I know that in Florida you still keep the points for a year... That says for the year, school or no school...

17. MichiGator2002

Apr 3, 2007
    I am just interested in the State of Florida's definition. I assumed that definition was 'guilty', right up until I found that they apparently didnt even keep a record of the citation, which has put the issue in doubt.

18. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    I didn't know that I just figured it was taken off after the DMV got verification school was completed. I checked that DAVID license database at the request of a person under supervision when I was a parole officer years ago and after he turned his stuff in the violation and points weren't showing under his name anymore and I think the printout insurance companies get from Florida on your driving record pretty much come from that database. The entries on things like civil suspensions upon arrest for DUIs don't get included in the reports just the things you were basically adjudicated on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If you have something that says you don’t have a ticket how do you know you remember 2014 correctly? No violations in clear conscience - Rudy Giuliani

20. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    If you are willing to spend ~$10, you can get a report from a third party like LexusNexus that would show anything on your driving record. I believe you can get information from the state's website too, but that will only show points or pending/outstanding tickets or infractions/suspensions.