Florida Pot Vote Seen Helping Democrat Become Governor

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chompalot, Jan 16, 2014.

1. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,284
    Pretty telling thing, to be looking for the weed vote to be a wave demographic, isn't it?
  2. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,357
    Probably figure it will get a lot more younger, more liberal voters out. IMO, this is the main reason for (R) opposition. Though there is a growing portion of (R)s that favor legalization, most (R)s think pot smoker and see images of a Grateful Dead show. Those, of course, are the obvious ones, the "advertisers" as I like to call them and they actually make up a pretty small minority of pot smokers.

It will be interesting to see how the vote splits if it gets to a vote. (R)s might find that there is little or no downside for them politically if they favor legalization.
  3. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2011/03/rick-scott-floridas-drug-fraud-enabler
    Don't let the stink stop you from liking this guy.

14 Felonies Later, Gov Rick Scott Wants Taxpayers to Fund His Clinics

Rick Scott: Florida's Drug Fraud Enabler?
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,357
    Yeah, it's sketchy. But so is a lot of what Crist offers. I'll watch this closely. I know Charlie a little (from same neighborhood) and he's a decent guy, but he seems so empty, especially after the nonsense of the Senate race. My vote is still there to be had and I'll be following the race closely. I just have to admit, I like how quiet the Governor's office has been for the last 2-3 years. As a Governor, I don't have a lot of complaints.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,024
    Which poll would seem to indicate that Floridians have their minds on drugs, not liberty. Glad I'm out from under that armpit.
  6. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    i am amazed that pot legalization or not, can sway a state wide election. this coming from a guy that smoked some when younger, if it were legal I wouldn't still do it because I don't see how it could positively impact my life, i don't think it would make me better at my job, or a better husband, friend.... . i don't recall it being a great help to me then either now that i think about it. just hard to imagine this is one of the major issues to regard when considering elected officials. the bigger issue to me is that once you have "medical" marijuana it is very near impossible to regulate, 20 yo back pain, knee pain, hand pain, arthritis, fibromyalgy, mood disorders, anxiety all become players, not just the just diagnoses that may benefit from mj, some eye diagnoses intractable pain, end of life comfort, some instances of refractory seizure.
  7. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,357
    Yes, it is clearly the nose in the tent. But who really cares. For me, it comes down to a couple points.

1. We can pay to stop it (which isn't working) or make money from it in terms of tax revenue. If you're okay with paying to stop it, just understand that you are throwing money away for what amounts to the emotional satisfaction of keeping people you don't like from doing something you don't like and doing so with the clear understanding that it isn't, doesn't and won't stop further usage. Call me crazy, but that sounds like a liberal position.
    1a. Take money away from criminal organizations and give it to law abiding (provided it's legalized) citizens who will pay taxes on it.

2. What's the harm? Alcohol doesn't do anyone any good either and probably causes more harm (exponentially, IMO). Personally, I prefer to smoke for the simple fact that, frankly, alcohol is too intoxicating and makes me feel like crap the next day (even a little). Now, if I'm going out specifically to party, bring it on. But I have no interest in drinking when I get home from work, but I do like something to take the edge off. Granted, I may be tinged by living with an alcoholic for 5+ years.

Only good argument against legalization is what I like to call the Two Wrongs (alcohol AND pot) Don't Make It Right argument. Everything else is just rationalization of personal bias and mental masturbation.

Prediction: In 10 years, usage in CO will be lower than it was in the weeks prior to legalization (for recreational use). Trust me, it will become passe' sooner than you realize.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    I can just see John Morgan in his Orlando mansion now...

9. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +974
    Exactly. That's all it is.

Medical Cannabis is such a n0-brainer that you have to look elsewhere for reasons why it isn't getting immediate decriminalization. Drug companies and LE have agendas.
  10. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +974
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +2,284
    I don't think "medical cannabis" is anything other than a flimsy pretext for a legal way to dump it into the marketplace; sure seems to be how it has played out elsewhere, with people getting rubber stamps for a medical authorization to toke up. Oddly hypocritical that in Florida we got allllllll wound up about "pain clinics" being pez dispensers for opiate pain relief but seem eager to line up for the exact same thing but with pot.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +974
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +974
    Whatever. Cannabis should be legal, period. If people can get relief from it how can you be against it? Regardless, it will be legal, without restrictions, everywhere in my life time. The majority is for it and it will only get louder.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +974
    BTW - I've never smoked it in my life.

I had a friend who died of brain cancer about 15 years ago. "Pot" was one of the few things that gave him relief and left him coherent so he could spend his last days with his wife and children.
  15. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,692
    It's slow, but as brain said, it is only a matter of time.
  16. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +2,284
    But, for even a shred of consistency, you'd agree to roll back on the recent "crackdown" of the pill mill/pain clinics?
  17. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +426
    I don't see it as hypocritical, Michi. Recreational opiate use carries the potential for a devastating addiction. Weed, not so much.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  18. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +974
    What CJ said. However, I am for ignoring the slippery slope for now and just legalizing pot.
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +687
    So why shouldn't it be in the marketplace in the first place? Suddenly, you are a fan of big government deciding what you can and can't buy?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +2,284
    Yeah, nobody gets addicted to weed. Habitual users aren't about the derpiest people you'll meet on a day to day basis or anything, either. Recreational drug use of pretty much any kind carries with it the risk of addiction and of making people at least somewhat useless and/or dangerous to themselves of others.
    • Disagree Disagree x 3