Florida Lacrosse Set For Showdown with Syracuse in NCAA Quarterfinals on Saturday

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by GatorGrowl, May 17, 2013.

1. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,569
    We were the #2/3-ranked team all year. We played 3 of the top 4 seeds this year and beat them all. If all they used was RPI ranking, then (a) that's a dumb method to use, and (b) the RPI is badly flawed when our schedule is #5 (when we played 3 of the top 4).
  2. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +334
    I would agree whatever formula Women's Lacrosse uses for the RPI has to be flawed. I was shocked UF was #5 in the RPI when I saw it.
  3. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Of course RPI is an incredibly flawed system in general for ranking teams. Why the NCAA insists on using it for almost all sports I will never understand. Apparently, they have no one with a math degree on the payroll.

But specifically in this case, you wonder what the RPI would have been if we had not scheduled 1st year in-state program Stetson? They were really, really bad and no doubt dragged down our RPI just by being on the schedule. I get why O'Leary wants to play that game, but at some point you have to rethink it if the NCAA is going to make the RPI the be-all and end-all for tournament seeding.
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    did they use the rpi last season to seed lax? and the year before? will be interesting if they go strictly by it for next season. i'm guessing they concoct something different if it is to the benefit of one of the traditional powers over UF. just my conspiracy theory for the year.
  5. swampgas44

swampgas44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Good point. Without Stetson on the schedule our RPI would definetely been 3 or 4, which means we play Syracuse at home yesterday. Hope we use this as a learning tool for next years schedule. Had we played 'The Orange' at home, we win!! The turnovers on artificial turf may have been totally different playing on natural grass. Just my opinion.
  6. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +605
    It's a conspiracy in every sport. The NCAA hates us. There's a secret meeting among officials held at Hogwarts every summer to determine how to covertly screw us. Good thing GC is onto it, though. Now it will stop.
  7. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +214
    Well, tough draw. Season ends against the same team as last.
    Congrats to the seniors though. They've taken this startup progam from nothing to a contender in 4 years!
    Very glad I was able to go to one game, last year, in evanston and witness arguably their greatest game.
  8. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    In what sports have people complained about the NCAA screwing us? The NCAA lets the lacrosse infrastructure run the show in the seeding process, just as they let basketball experts seed the basketball tournament, baseball experts seed the baseball tournament, softball experts seed the softball tournament, etc. The NCAA isn't the problem, it's the northeastern lacrosse folks that they lean for "expertise". If can't see that thus year's seeding and last year's Final Four officiating weren't an obvious problem, then you simply aren't paying attention.