Florida is ranked #2 in the country in Total Defense

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Sep 23, 2013.

1. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    #2 in the nation! in that case, Fla's D should dominate lsu, uga and usc and win the SEC east. Fla v. alabama for the SEC title a trip to the BCS title game!!!
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +820
    I agree. People say that if we only had a 60th ranked offense, we would have won the SEC last year. Well, comparing our offense to the last four years after three games:

Year----------Total Offense-----Yards Gained, Each Game---------Opponents

2013...................67th..................415, 413, 382 (403 yds/game)..Toledo, Miami, Tenn
    2012...................64th..................365, 307, 555 (409 yds/game)..BGSU, TA&M, Tenn
    2011...................31st..................468, 512, 347 (442 yds/game)..FAU, UAB, Tenn
    2010...................92d...................212, 423, 317 (319 yds/game)..Mia (OH), USF, Tenn

One thing I like is that our shot group is more consistent. We had far better numbers in 2011, but we started out playing two hideous defensive teams in FAU and UAB.

The good news is that we now play Kentucky. The last four years, we gained:

Year-----------Yards Gained

2010....................466 (48-14)
    2011....................520 (48-10)
    2012....................403 (38-0)

No matter HOW bad our offense is, they seem to pick it up against Kentucky...
  3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +659
    Toledo's running back Fluellen has had 100 yards in each of the 3 games he's played since facing us
  4. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    If the offense is better than average we have a chancew in every game we play. If not ,we'll lose at least three more games.
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,563
    LSU looks tough for sure.

And we know the other games will be tough, but should be winnable. Winston is a real wild card at this point. His decision making and accuracy are amazing at this point. I'm sure it will look different against us, but with their receivers, the way he is playing, they could put up some points.
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,563
    You said we'd be extremely fortunate to not lose five games this year. And pointed out a number of negatives to our team, which aren't inaccurate, but also overlook the positives, not the least of which is a dominant defense that should be getting better because it is still young.

Also, our opponents have plenty of flaws, too... except perhaps LSU which looks like a pretty complete team right now (we'll see).

The SEC is clearly down this year. We're not world beaters, but we don't have to be to win this year. We do have to drastically reduce the TOs and get our kicking game straight. I know everyone's geeked about offensive production (or lack of), but the TOs and kicking game are the biggest priorities. IMO. I am pretty confident Champ would see it that way, and based on his track record, I think he'll get those things ironed out.

I am curious to see how things develop with Murph and whether the OL settles down with Halapio back on a regular basis. I am pretty sure Jones will improve, but hard to tell how long that will take.
  7. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    When the back up qb has been on campus for three years previously and knows the playcalling...then he isn't a frosh coming in and wetting his pants. I don't know what defense you've watched...but UFs defense has held three foes to a total of five third down conversions....that's tall cotton. And yes...our run game has been only been lukewarm, but the reason is simple....teams are stacking the line and wanting us to throw. We don't need an offensive explosion to win the SEC....only keep turnovers to a minimum. We were some where around 105th in the country last year in total off and yet went to a BCS bowl because of our defense...so don't sell us short.
  8. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,486
    What is great to see is improved tackling by our corners, with few whiffs. Good stuff, guys. Keep it up.
  9. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    The problem is not the D. But, the D has not faced a real threat and yet has given up big plays, one of which ultimately cost us the game against Miami. With our offensive woes, it cannot allow UT and Miami to score that many points. 3rd down conversion rate is great. But that many points on the scoreboard = losses against good teams because we cannot keep up offensively. I wish it were different. But even 17 points allowed is a loss at Miami, and Miami is not as good offensively as UGA, SC, or FSU and we will see about LSU.

Yes, the turnovers were a factor. That is not the point. THe point is that we will lose against good teams if the offense is not productive. Will it be? It hasn't, and now we have a new qb who did better than expected against a very poor UT team. That is all we have that is observable until shown otherwise on the field, which I would love to have happen. Until then, we are forecast for a 5 loss season if you consider who will be favored in what games and our ranking coming out of week 3.
  10. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    ".........it cannot allow UT and Miami to score that many points".

Geeeeez, dude. Bother to gain a little perspective, why don't you? Tennessee's offense gained 220 yards and scored 10 points. If you performed on defense like that that over a season, you'd usually lead the nation in both categories. It was only after UF lost three starters (in their base 4-2-5 defense) in the secondary (Roberson, Poole and Purifoy) that UT did anything.
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +820
    We don't know this. Right now, I'd have to say that only Georgia and FSU have a better offense. LSU may have a decent offense as well, as they gained 456 yards against TCU, a team with traditionally great defenses (and held TT to 330 yards). But no one else on their schedule has a strong defense.

Georgia played USCe, a team with traditionally good defenses, but that was a shootout. We'll find out how good their offense is next week against LSU. FSU? Not sure how good Pitt is, as Duke scored half a hundred on them (Cutcliffe is a great offensive coach, however). USCe hasn't played anyone with a defensive pulse yet, as Vandy looks to have reverted back to being Vandy again (too early to tell).

Personally, if what Murphy showed was real, rather than beginner's luck, I like my chances against any of them...
  12. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    Not sure what your point is. No one ever said the defense let us down. They have been great except for allowing big plays for TD's one of which cost us a game, dumb penalties and too much time for qb's late in games. With a decent O those don't matter much. Fortunately we have not played very good qb's but that will change. What I said is that with this offense the D cannot allow that many points and us expect to win. The proof of my point is that we are not undefeated against lesser teams than we have yet to play. What is yours?
  13. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I don't see this is a championship team. I do not expect us to run the table with the Poodles, LSU and the Cocks. If we took two out of the three, then there's a pretty good chance we make it to Atlanta. But there is no room for error because both the Cocks and Poodles have much easier schedules. Two losses out of those three will doom us to third in the East.

I'm not thinking about FSU right now. Too far away, but we do get them in Gainesville.

I think we're on track for 8-4, maybe 9-3 this year. When you consider how badly its started (with injuries, turnovers and such), that would be a good year for Muschamp.
  14. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    if fla's D gives up 14 easy points in the first quarter against lsu, uga or usc they will not win
  15. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    IMO, the defense will have to put points on the board for us to win those three games.
  16. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +709
    Takeaways?

Not a problem....our guys are like a swarm of killer bees in search of the honey pot!

[​IMG]

:devil:
  17. ces1948

ces1948 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    How many QB sacks have they had and where does that rank? They really needed to dial up the pass rush against ut to help the secondary with all the missing players in the 2nd half but as I recall they couldn't get to Worley.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
    We mostly rushed four the entire game, especially after we lost Purifoy. Very few blitzes. When you are nursing a 21-point lead late in the third quarter, the last thing you want to do is get caught without safety help deep.
  19. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +709
    Someone can look up the stats but in the meantime...don't they (UT) have a superior O-line? Maybe the best we will face this year?

I don't know....just asking the experts. :wink: