Florida is an improved team this year

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by josh_norris14, Sep 9, 2013.

1. josh_norris14

josh_norris14 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    After the Miami game there were two things I was thinking:

1. We moved the ball through the air a lot better than we have since 2009.

2. The two areas we have regressed in have been rushing and kicking. Here are some stats comparing our Miami game with our 2012 season.

vs Miami first then 2012 average

Total Offense: 413 yards vs. 334 yards
    Passing Offense: 292 yards vs. 146.3 yards
    Rushing Offense: 122 yards vs. 187. 7 yards
    3rd Down Efficiency: 6-15 (40%) vs. 65-171 (36.3%)
    Passing Yards/Attempt: 8.8 yards vs. 6.6 yards
    Passing Yards/Completion: 13.2 yards vs. 10.4 yards

I also thought this game was played very similarly to the Georgia game last year other than the fact that Florida moved the ball better (About 150 more total yards).

I think Florida's offense is being underrated, and while it was sloppy, it was a lot more dangerous than last year. Obviously when Driskel is asked to do more he folds under pressure and that's a problem.

I think this might be a negative though because Florida really plays a style of football that is only feasible when they have the lead. If they can't pound the ball like last year, Driskel is going to have to play better with leads than he does when behind.
  2. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    i think this post is easy to agree with by the numbers and time will tell if all evens out because i don't expect 5/6 TO's each game. i think we will surprise some of the media and win most of these big games. usc and uga's offense's r great but that doesn't scare me with this D that we have. their Defenses are weak at best and i think we can exploit that possibly(hopefully) lsu is the only team i am truly wondering if we can beat. go gators and lets put this behind us and learn from it
  3. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,055
    Last year, our defense and special teams bailed out the offense. (Besides the occasional Reed) This year has shown a very slight improvement on O. Defense still looks solid though. Maybe better. But yeah, I agree with the above poster. 5/6 TOs aren't going to happen like that again. Bring on UT!
  4. Gators15

Gators15 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Would say that it's still bit early, rather so but I hope that they do ahead.

better quick-decision makings by Driskel.... much less turnovers, the better obv... Pease to allow Driskel to run more whenever opp... I think it's pretty much so.

Defense is great as usual.
  5. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    I agree actually. 2013 team is better than 2012. 2012 got extremely lucky though so only the analysts that dig deeper will see it. 2012 was a 5 loss team and 2013 is probably a 4 loss team.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +325
    Give me those stat averages after this offense plays against an entire SEC schedule.
  7. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I think losing Gilly and Reed will hurt a lot- Gilly at least so far appears to be significantly better than any running back the coaches will give playing time to, while Reed as a TE opened up the middle of the field-- an absolute necessity for a team that's not likely to take more than 1 or 2 deep shots a game.
  8. FriendlyGator

FriendlyGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    Most people are going nuts right now because losing to Miami really, really sucks--especially when we should have beaten them so easily. But the bottom line is if you fix the bone headed turnovers in the game then this team is looking pretty good after just two games.

You can't fix a porous offensive line or a soft defensive line. That was not our problem. You can fix boneheaded throws (from a QB we have seen play safe and efficiently) and from RBs who didn't protect the ball.

Last year our record was better than it should have been. The ball bounced our way on many occasions. I have always thought we could have a better team this year but still end up with a record which is not as good as our season last year. We will see.

I'm going to keep an open mind about this team. There is tons of potential there. We have excellent players. And for the most part they are performing well. We had a terrible game last year with all those turnovers it just came in the middle of the season. Let's see what these guys do. The SEC race is still there for the taking. The bitter loss--and hell yeah it is bitter--may do these young guys good. They can't take any play for granted and now they know that even the defense.
  9. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    We are?

I see an OL that was decidedly worse than what we had last year after we were told it was going to be better.

I see backs that do not compare to Mike Gillislee.

I see a QB who does not appear to have learned anything....he reverts to being a turnover machine in big games.

I see really horrid playcalling from the insistence on beating our heads against a brick wall by plowing it up the middle over and over and over and over and over again despite the fact that it was getting stuffed all day long, very few runs outside (eg only 4 touches for Showers who was the one back we had who looked good) and who could forget the moronic 2 point conversion attempt as well as foregoing several field goal tries which then put us in desperation mode at the end when we had to have a TD whereas had we just kicked we could have won on field goals alone.

What I saw Saturday was very reminiscent of what I saw vs UGA last year and what I saw in the bowl game meltdown vs Louisville. That is not improvement.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,747
    From a moving the ball perspective, we're better. Defense overall is stronger statistically, but probably gave up more points than 2012 defense would have given up.

But we're weaker at kicker. we make far too many mistakes trying to throw the ball, and we made a critical mistake at safety. Overall we're weaker than last year because of those things.

2012 Gators would have won that game. With a lot less total offense. More running. More FGs. And probably no long TD pass over a safety letting a receiver go high.

The ceiling on offense is definitely higher. I think it's higher on defense, too. We have potential to be a stronger team, if we clean up the mistakes.
  11. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    We have one glaring weakness this year and that is the TE position. I thought we were going to be fine at TE since it appeared we had been recruiting well, but apparently not. A solid TE is a must in this type of offense and it does not appear we have one on our roster at this time.
  12. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    maybe statistically but we have lost to two teams in the last three games that i feel we should have won.
    I think we had better personel than both those teams.
  13. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    They have improved in their ability to run more plays, but they haven't improved their ability to avoid penalties, and seem to be going backward in their ability to score points.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,747
    Good point at TE. Burton looks like Roberto Duran trying to catch a pass. Manos de piedra.

We really need what Thompson was expected to provide.
  15. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +247
    It may be too early to really draw any conclusions, other than the ones self evident from the play of Driskel and our tight ends. Neither Toledo nor Miami have good defenses, so I would expect our offensive stats to look better after those two games. We'll see what they look like after a few games against SEC opponents. I am concerned with the critical mistakes made by Driskel, and the lack of production from the tight end position. We should have beaten Miami handily, but did not due to critical mistakes by our QB, and the lack of any threat from our tight end.

Overall, we pushed Miami around and should have won easily. Had