Florida has the worst yards per carry in the SEC right now

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by slayerxing, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +952
    I think the issue is slow developing running plays. We seem to love the counter run play that LSU couldn't stop last year. Problem is so much film exists on this play we have lbs in our backfield or meeting us the hole.

Also, when our old pull, I often see them keep their shoulders square to the los and shuffle sideways instead of turn and run.

Humphries has been getting abused quite a bit in pass protection the last 2 games. The pic six against UT he was abused. Save me "the back tripped him up" nonsense. I went and reran the play 10+ times. Didn't happen. The sack fumble against Miami was his guy too. Proved to be the difference in the game. I saw him play in person in high school and saw a lot of inconsistencies against HS competition. Flashes of brilliance though.
  2. sleeze

sleeze Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    Too bad Reed isnt playing for us this year..it opens up things..with a TE as athletic and with a nice wingspan.

It opens up EVERYTHING...running game, opens up the seams in passing....also a good TE that can do it all can open up plays Downfield,,to the WRs
  3. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,310
    Seems like Jones is running straight into the pile this year and has missed several cut back holes leaving many yards on the field

When's the last time we threw an actual screen pass to a RB?
  4. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    The holes are there. Are backs just love to run into the pile and they fall down on first contact.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,111
    Screen passes are very difficult against plus boxes. Too much congestion. The little bubble stuff to the perimeter is much safer. We have run that a bit, but need more of it.
  6. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    I wonder how much the viral infection has slowed jones development. After the spring, the coaches said that jones was the clear #1 back. Haven't really seen that yet.
  7. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +916
    We seem to be trying to force plays up the middle with defenses fully prepared to stop the run.
  8. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    It may seem that way, but we really aren't, at least not before Driskel got hurt.

In the 11 snaps UF took before Murphy cam in:

UF threw it on 7 snaps, including 3 passes on 5 first down snaps..

UF ran it wide twice, once to Purifoy for 15 yards and once to Patton for 4

UF ran it inside twice, for 0 and 2 yards.

2 out of 11 snaps is not forcing plays up the middle.

Now maybe they boiled down the playbook once Murphy came in...
  9. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    I think we are seeing BP beginning to make adjustments away from our tendencies. I thought he called a much better game than the one at um.
  10. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +588
    Well, clearly Muschamp thinks otherwise now with his "hot hand" comment.
  11. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    uf's running game has been a non-factor so far, with injuries and overhyped players. hopefully they get it together and put up huge yards against UK and arkansas in easy wins, then run for 200+ against lsu.
  12. pcolafan

pcolafan Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Nope. Offense, Defense, Special Teams and a little luck wins championships!
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,029
    Yup, but in order, I'd say defense, luck, strength of schedule, offense and special teams...
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,396
    Good stuff. I think I'd even put special teams in front of offense... there's a ton of yards and field position in special teams, as well as points.

Very good all around special teams play as compared to average play is probably worth 15 yards per possession, or over 100 yds a game... not including kick blocks. Right now we're pretty mediocre in special teams, and I could be wrong, but I think we can get a 100 yds a game easier there, than we can on offense.

Plus scoring - need to reliably kick field goals. Block kicks to get scoring opportunities (and avoid kick blocks), and return kicks for scores (and avoid the returns).

We've seen the kick block but I think most other areas we can improve on special teams.

On offense, I mostly want to see us minimize TOs and find a couple of go to players in the red zone. I think if we maintain current productivity and do those two things we'd be fine on offense.
  15. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    why is defense more important than offense? if you score a bunch of points you can win titles by just outscoring the other team.

Examples
    2011 NY Giants (9th in offense, 25th in defense)
    2009 NO Saints (1st in offense, 20th in defense)
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,396
    For the most part, great defense shuts down great offense... the best defense wins most championships.

The 2008 BCS Championship against the highest scoring offense in CFB history is a prime example. They averaged 54 ppg prior to that game. Their prior 6 games including the Big 12 championship they averaged over 62 ppg. We held them to 14 points.

The unstoppable 2006 Bucknuts with their Heismann winning QB... who we didn't even belong on the same field with - also held to 14 points. Just 7 points on offense. "Honk if you sacked Troy Smith" gained a net of 6 yards of total offense for the whole game.

Even the examples you cite, those teams won their Super Bowls in large part because of how their defenses played. The Giants defensive line was outstanding through the playoffs and Super Bowl and were all over Brady, keeping him from getting in sync like he usually does.

And the Saints forced 8 TOs in three post season games. And added a couple of special teams scores. They weren't a lock down type of defense but they made big plays that altered games.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,093
    In the BCS Championship Game (excluding 1998 which I could not find data for):

- the #1 offensive ranked team is 0-3 (2000 SWAC, 2005 USC, 2010 Oregon)
    - the #1 defensive ranked team is 3-1
    - Top 10 offenses are 1-5 vs. non top 10 offenses
    - Top 10 defenses are 3-1 vs. non top 10 defenses
    - Only 3 times has the national champion fielded a defense that was not a top 10 defense (1999 SWAC, 2002 Ohio State, 2010 Auburn)
    - Only 3 times has a top 10 offense won the national championship (2001 Miami, 2005 Texas, 2010 Auburn)

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  18. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    uf's running game has been a big disappointment. hopefully they open it up and get taylor and the other RBs involved--it can't be much worse going with some new RBs.
  19. pcolafan

pcolafan Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    My point was that it is not just defense that wins championships. It is a huge piece of the puzzle, but, it takes all facets of the game to win championships and some luck. That saying always cracks me up when it gets posted over and over. It is such an incomplete analysis.

Statistics, especially in college football, can also be misleading. A team's schedule and conference play a large roll in statistic like "#1 in the country in offense." We all know that Oregon or OSU would not have put up those #'s in the SEC.
  20. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,029
    Texas A&M says hello...