Florida governor plans to resume voter purge effort

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Aug 25, 2013.

1. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Rick Scott is an idiot...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/06/us-usa-florida-voting-idUSBRE97500W20130806?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews

[​IMG]

Florida governor plans to resume voter purge effort

Reuters) - Florida Governor Rick Scott is planning a new effort to purge non-U.S. citizens from the state's voter rolls, a move that last year prompted a series of legal challenges and claims from critics his administration was trying to intimidate minority voters.

Voter protection groups identified a number of errors in the state's attempt to identify people who are not American citizens on Florida's voter lists months ahead of the U.S. presidential election in November 2012.

The search also sparked several lawsuits, including one by the U.S. Justice Department, which claimed the effort violated federal law since it was conducted less than 90 days before the election.

"We were recently informed that the State plans to continue their efforts to remove non-citizens from Florida's voter rolls," Miami-Dade Elections Supervisor Penelope Townsley said in a statement.

In a letter sent to Florida election supervisors last week, Maria Matthews, Florida's director of elections, said a renewed effort to "ensure due process and the integrity of Florida's voter rolls" was being planned.

"This is all part of our ongoing and continuing efforts to identify potentially ineligible registered voters," Matthews said.

Scott, a Republican, is preparing to run for re-election next year. He has repeatedly said the aim of any purge is to protect the integrity of the voter rolls.

Advocacy groups called the review of non-citizens a thinly veiled attempt to disqualify Hispanic and African-American voters, who tend to vote for Democratic candidates. A disproportionately large number of those identified in 2012 were either Hispanic or black, the groups said.

Last year, Florida officials said they had drawn up an initial list of 182,000 potential non-citizens. But that number was reduced to fewer than 200 after election officials acknowledged errors on the original list.

In identifying potential non-citizens, Florida officials sent their information to county election supervisors who then mailed letters to voters requesting proof they were U.S. citizens. If no response was received, the voter was dropped from the rolls.

The effort, which angered some county election supervisors, was the subject of lawsuits from five voter protection groups and at least two individual plaintiffs.

Howard Simon, executive director of the Florida chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, said he expected many county election supervisors to press the state to offer precise documentation that a voter may not be a U.S. citizen in any forthcoming review.

"If it will be a fairer process this time, it will be because the County Supervisors of Elections got burned last time and are more skeptical now," he said.
  2. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,693
    If you can't win on ideas, change the electorate
  3. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Well, it will be Rick Scott going against Charlie Christ for Governor. Rick is learning on the job and doing a pretty good job, I will add. Charlie is both gender and politically confused. Me thinks once he accepted his true sexual preference, he decided the demo party was more fertile. He heard about those "gay bundlers" for Obama.

Of course Charlie may not run because he is likely "killing it" at his new law firm "rainmaker role".
  4. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +944
    Under Scott I am paying a corporation each month on my electric bill for a nuke plant that won't be built. This is supposed to expand so you too can pay for energy systems that may never happen.

Under Scott my tag costs more so that money that was so needed in the recession could continue to go to a private corporation to pay insurance agents. The money that was so needed wasn't used for anything more than a subsidy for insurance.

Under Scott we just listed the Green Swamp as lands we can sell. Only problem being it is the water giant of this state and the headwaters of several rivers. Meaning the water for drinking and tourism can be ruined for a handful of magic beans.

Under Scott our unemployment rate is now the same as the average of all states.

They guy is from the same state as Obama and is nothing less than a carpet bagger imo.
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,413
    the idiots are the libbies who are afraid of the truth and what will be found
  6. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Then vote for Charlie. You will have a clear choice. A "Seminole cross dresser" vs someone who runs the state like a business.
  7. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,841
    Campaigning on running more government programs that offer free stuff to the poor and/or lazy is not really considered winning on ideas.
  8. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,307
    As I said on the last thread about the Florida voter purge:

We all agree that the voter rolls should be accurate. But when there is a purge, it needs to be done correctly. It shouldn't include a couple hundred thousand people who should not be purged, who also happen to be mostly members of the other party. (Just a coincidence, right?) It shouldn't be something done so badly that county election officials refuse to have anything to do with it.
  9. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +944
    You don't endanger the life blood of this state, tourism and ag, by ruining clean water.

That is stupid business and the entire point.

Good to see some of you are psychic and know Charlie will be the opponent. I will wait on the actual ballot thank you.
  10. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,413
    EW's are everywhere
  11. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +944
    Millions of people come to Florida for our clean beaches.

During the oil spill, many business owners on the gulf coast lost a lot of money.

Anna Maria Island has had such a big tourism year this year, they are trying to find ways to tone it down.

Pollute the water and see the billions in profits go away.

No one wants to pay a grand or several to walk on a polluted beach. Maybe its time you realized clean sells. Business needs to thank the EW for having its back and helping keep the profits rolling in.
  12. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,413
    rpm- I am all for clean water-not sure what it has to do with the premise of this thread
  13. LeesGator

LeesGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I'm just not convinced there is some rampant illegal voting problem that justifies doing this.
  14. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,413
    I think atleast every 5 years we should purge our voter lists-people die, people move-get them off the rolls
  15. rpmGator

Ratings Received:
    +944
    Bill

Scott did one thing, I added other things I didn't like about him.

I put up a list of being taxed to help corporations and the fact of policy that threatens ag and tourism due to selling off green swamp and other lands that have an impact on tourism down river.

Had people jump in like it didn't matter.

During the gulf spill, the business on the gulf dropped like a rock. That tourism is back up now that the clean perception of the water is back up.

Protecting our beaches from pollution brings in dollars. Ag needs water also so protecting the sources are more important than some want to believe. Clean is another word for good economics for the state.
  16. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +780
    Why not purge voters the way the IRS does?

CORRUPTION RULES!!!!!
  17. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I know a ton of repubs that hate Rick Scott. He is a horrible Governor for both parties. I think he is going to have a rough of time of it.
  18. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Which business is that? Enron? Goldman Sach's? Yep, just the governor we need.
  19. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    What decisions has he made that you disagree with? Which policy do you not like?
  20. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    What decisions has he made that you disagree with? Which policy do you not like?