Florida Gators open season unranked in coaches poll

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Jul 31, 2014.

1. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,411
    Like who? Do tell, all knowing one. Who, exactly, was this list comprised of? You, nor anyone here, have a clue who was available, let alone worthy. Muschamp was a hot commodity at the time. There's NO denying that. Unfortunately, he was also an unknown commodity as a HC. I believe Foley did the right thing by retaining him. If not, he'll cut bait. After all Foley has done for this athletic department, it's crazy to see fans so critical of him. There's PLENTY of schools that would love to have him.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +757
    You are certainly right about Foley, even though I have a little more optimism about Muschamp than you do.

Muschamp certainly hasn't proven he is the long term solution, not even the most ardent Muschamp supporter is arguing that, the question is whether given the circumstances he has proven he ISN'T the guy.

I need at least another year, if not two.

Last year was a total wash in judging him due to injuries, and years one and two of his tenure he was playing with the former guy's players, some great and some not so great.

What I see in UF 2014 under Muschamp is a team whose biggest question marks are at positions where you most rely on 4th and 5th year players, QB, OL and DT, and the 4th and 5th year classes are not "his."
  3. ironhead1

ironhead1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Those on this thread hoping for some fire from the team.....some extra motivation....something to play for....a chip on their shoulders.....not sure that's ever going to happen
    Muschamp likes to treat every game the same...no extra motivation.

Bland.....unexciting...go through the motions and do your job football...
    Probably one reason why our record against FSU and GA is dismal. Why we lost to Vandy at Homecoming and dismal, worthless, why did we even take the field performance against...Georgia Southern!

I'm praying....hoping....writhing in pain from my twisted in knots stomach.... that Muschamp has learned something .hoping....screaming.....please...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!

This team, Next years team, should usher in a new era of Florida Football under Will Muschamp.
    Passionate....Exciting...INTENSE.....TOUGH....WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we get the same thing as we have in the last 3 years?
    He's done.

For me.....Atlanta...Or a new coach in 2015
  4. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +757
    Don't know what you have been watching the last three years.

Yes, last year sucked, but to ignore injuries to 10+ key starters and say it is due to being "bland, " "unexciting" a "lack of fire" "unmotivated" really takes some forceful memory loss.

We can disagree about Muschamp, but don't insult the players' efforts.

Was Matt Elam lacking fire when he chased down the LSU WR and caused the fumble in 2012?

Was Mike Gillislee "unmotivated" when he fought for the end zone despite a bad ankle?

Was Dominique Easley EVER bland or lacking fire? EVER?!?!

Was Antonio Morrison's knockout on FSU QB Manuel bland and unexciting to you?

You obviously need some refreshers of what the players have done.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=w51QkmXG7Fw

You say:

You left out an obvious third option. We keep Muschamp but get rid of you.

Go find another team, or get your dosage adjusted.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    I couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a coach who's had a better record over the past three years. And who's being critical of Foley? I said keeping Muschamp was a financial decision. Foley is a CEO, and money matters a lot, even though some here like to pretend we have unlimited funds. Again, how's that being critical of Foley? That's some hyperbole.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +420
    I see we are already prepping this year's excuses. Now you can't win unless you have 5th year seniors at QB, OL and DT? lol
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,669
    Don't worry. It gets better with age.
  8. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +860
    It's funny to see so many doom and gloom posts. How CWM is so horrible and he's not the answer for the future. My God, some of you bash him as if he couldn't coach a jr high team. All of that negativity followed up with "but I hope we have a good season" or "I hope he proves me wrong".

At what point does last year's disaster of injuries and anything bad that could happen, did happen, sink in. People complained about 2012's season and those are the ones who will never be happy.

This season will be much different. I've been to the practices. I've been around the team. I've seen the comradery. This team is hungry!

Let the season play out before you're screaming to fire CWM or "he's not the guy". You just can't fire a HC and expect the 2015 & 2016 recruiting classes to stay intact. We have some talent headed our way. Satisfying the fans is only one factor that Foley has to consider.

It's Florida Gator Football and last year's fiasco will be corrected!!

GO GATORS!!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,071
    I didn't want him here when Foley hired him but the more I heard him talk and the more I liked him. I liked his fire even though a lot of people don't. If he runs the table I will be the first one to call him up and say congrats!!! I do like what someone mentioned. "The Revenge Tour"
  10. ironhead1

Ratings Received:
    +180
    I would wager I've been LOYAL Gator for longer than you've been out of diapers boy.

You go kiss Muschamps ass all the way to last in the East.
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
  11. ironhead1

Ratings Received:
    +180
    For the record...
    I could also go to you tube and pull out a few embarrassing clips of our guys last season. But why?
    That's just childish.
    Some of you people get so defensive you cant even have an honest look at whats going on here.
    Insults....

Hell, I'm down with it.
    Pm me.

I've been watching a listless un motivated team for three years.
    Sure, anyone can go pick out a couple of plays or a few players who have made some plays..So what?
    I'm speaking to the team as a whole.

Even when we were 12-1 before the Louisville debacle I was very worried. We struggled with teams we should have blew off the field...we struggled with teams below our talent level....we also won alot of very close hard fought games.
  12. ironhead1

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Ahh...Another smart ass comment.....Congrats!

I hope so...I figure I have about 35 good years left.....Most of my family expires in their 80's
  13. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +535
    4-8 with the injury excuse got old 8 months ago. So Driskel went down in the Tennessee game while throwing a pick 6. He didn't really look that improved from the prior season prior to the injury. So, coach knowing full well we have nothing to lose, goes 100% conservative. He had chances to do something different and he tanked. It got so bad, we lost to a high school at our own homecoming! I'm sure there are a ton of Div III teams begging us to pay them $500K to come to the Swamp (more like the Pond) to kick us all over the field. A decent coach wouldn't have lost that game with the team we had. No business losing at home to a team that never completed a pass (but ran it down our throats). That is coaching and Muschamp failed that test. So, we lost players, but so did a host of other teams (Georgia anyone - who lost more key players than we did) and half of them played in a bowl game. The other half never had a chance anyway.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +535
    Destroy? Looking back on Muschamp's tenure, who exactly have we destroyed? Really, who?

1. South Carolina. We did that when we were pretty good and SC really gave us the game. No way you can win a game coughing up 4 TOs, 3 of them TDs on a short field. We had 183 yards TOTAL OFFENSE.
    2. Kentucky, 38-0? Looks good, decent offense, great defense. But it is Kentucky.

Other than these 2 games, "destroy" is considered scoring 30+ points and a margin of 10 points. If that is the new definition of "destroy", then we will "destroy" Idaho.
  15. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +420
    Have you looked at our recruiting lately? Our 2015 class is starting to fall apart. That in a year when we should be absolutely cleaning up. Keeping a coach with a bad track record and uncertain future does not help recruiting like many here were arguing last year. It does the opposite. Makes us very easy targets. We are simply falling further behind our rivals.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  16. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +447
    Horton and Thomas is "falling apart?" Good lord
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +420
    Thomas is a nice player, but you honestly going to tell me recruiting is going great? We just had an unprecedented number of de-commitments. Some of studs that many considered locks are either committing elsewhere (Ray Ray) or starting to look like a battle (Ivey). At this point we have zero players in the Rivals Top 100 and our class is ranked in the 30s. Again, this was supposed to be a once in a generation type class for UF according to many people because of the talent level and number of gator leaning studs. And it was argued by the pro Muschamp camp that it was imperative he be retained so he could deliver us a program changing class in 2015. It's starting to look like a fantasy at this point.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,793
    Season hasn't even started yet, and it's Chicken Little time.

Why don't you guys give it a rest, enjoy some football and see what happens.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 4
  19. ironhead1

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Two way street though...Right Oak?
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,793
    As far as what?

Is it offensive for some folks to think we might win a few games, or have a dcent recruiting class? Or that Muschamp might actually turn out to be a good coach?

Are there any claims in particular that the "sunhine pumpers" make that are offensive?
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1