Florida Gators drop from the ranks of college football elite

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by HungaryGator, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    Bama had its down years and now look at em.

My feeling -- these tough times will make us appreciate it more when we have good times. At least I will.
  2. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +525
    They had down years with Shula and look how fast they turned it around with Saban. Says a lot about coaching in CFB
  3. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    Everyone bookmark this guy's post and send it back to him within the next 2 years. Every media hack with a keyboard likes to make outlandish statements. Good gravy we are 5 years removed from being called "Title town" and all of a sudden we are Wake Forest? Gimme a break.
  4. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    What makes them elite? They're ranked high, they haven't lost a game in 2 years and they're talked about as a national title contender. We are hardly mentioned and when we are it is to discuss our problems.....our woeful Offense, etc.

Hey I don't like it either but to say otherwise right now is to live in denial.
  5. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +58
    I'm losing a little faith.. but not hope in the season. Honestly, it's the Miami loss still stinging. String together a UGA win and a FSU win and I'm back on the bandwagon pointing to next year just like old times (pre Spurrier).
  6. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,107
    Thanks in large part to their quitter of a coach who will hopefully do the same to them someday very soon.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,586
    Okay.. so if we had just scheduled cosmetology and nursing schools the last two years and won all our games, we'd be elite?
  8. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,258
    This is a chief reason why I've come to despise most sports "journalists" these days. It's all about creating controversy to generate web hits and little, if anything in the way of insightful analysis.

Really, most of these hack-job local columnists are the low-rent prostitutes to the Vegas-style courtesans (ESPN's crew): there to create the entertainment.

Florida football went 11-2 last year, was at a BCS bowl, is still ranked this year despite some terrible injury issues--and isn't that far removed from winning 2 national championships. Someone madr the astute observation that Florida isn't an elite team right now, but that's a far cry from saying we aren't an elite program.

Non elite programs don't rake it top 5 or top 10 recruiting classes year after year, go to BCS bowls, and start the next season ranked in the top 15. If we win this weekend against Mizzou on the road, Florida will rise to top 15 again by the time the Cocktail Party rolls around.

What we do NOT have (and haven't had in quite some time) is an elite offense. Our defense has been elite for the last two seasons (and was decent the year before that)--and looks set to reload every year given our talent, recruiting, and the way Muschamp gets them to perform. If we manage to get a respectable offense, the program would once again be a perennial championship contender with the way our defense has been playing.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,165
    Just 20 months ago we gave tOSU a LOSING season...they haven't beaten a top 10 team since. We have beaten 4. We made a BCS game...they did not.

Yep...they sound elite. :no:

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
    • Like Like x 1
  10. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    Florida might well have been undefeated if they had played Ohio State's schedule for the past two years, too.

More interesting, however, would have been how Ohio State would have fared against our schedule during the same period. I suspect they'd be out of this conversation.
  11. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Alabama is the only true "elite" team in college football right now---3 of 4 national titles, probably winning #4 of 5 this year---that's elite.
  12. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I don't want to start about how ridiculous this column is...

However, it fits very well in this instant gratification society that has absolutely zero perspective.

If this columnist wants to be accurate (tough job with today's mediots), he'll wait a couple of years and see if we're still struggling to find an identity before shoveling dirt on this football program.

Provided nothing terrible happens and we lose our 2014 class, I think this writer will be writing a story about the reemergence of UF next season and the season after that and his column in October 2013 will be long forgotten by him ("Did I write that, no I never said that").
    • Like Like x 2
  13. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Funny how that works. We haven't had a losing season since I was freshman in high school.
  14. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    That sentence alone deserves a rep. It's absolutely BANG on the money...
  15. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    Regarding Alabama...
    Remember when the Holy "Gods Of Arrogancy" got beaten and embarrassed by a slow, Caucasian Mormon school called Utah State?
    On national TV...in the Cotton Bowl, no less!!!

After over 55 years of watching football...one of the BEST bowl games I have EVER witnessed!
  16. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    ohio state is far from elite. i think we can all agree on that. barely beating northwestern is far from elite, i know its been said many times but wow, if they played are schedule i can't imagine them having less then 3/4 losses. oregon and stanford... wow their elite look at the bcs titles they have, so many i lost count. i know , we are not elite right now and im not going to argue that but the term elite is used pretty loosely when you put oregon, stanford and ohio state there. winning 3/4 bcs titles is elite and i have no problem giving bama credit, its been unreal and props to them. but other than that no other team has won two national titles during the SEC streak beside us. we program has more wins then us since 1990 so overall we must be doing fine. things will pick up, maybe we need a new OC... i dont know yet , after the season would be the best time for evaluation. remember we lost to two teams that are currently in the top 10, not like were losing to scrubs.
  17. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    do you mean alabama v. utah in the sugar bowl?
  18. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Recruits must think otherwise
  19. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152

That's true, outside of Alabama what other teams/programs can honestly be considered 'elite' right now?
  20. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +116
    It's the old "kick 'em while they're down" media play.