"Florida Gators a forgotten team"

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorady, Aug 24, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    The entire season the team continued to win. The wins were not miraculous the team played good defense, ran the football and played well on special teams. That is what a rational person sees. That QB sure seemed to play well when we needed him to late in games. There were a lot of things the team did poorly but the things the team did well outweighed that last season.
  2. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    no
  3. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,381
    Translation: pretty offense > wins.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,000
    Nothing. It is a game. The rationale and criticisms evolve. First it is an ambiguous "philosophy," then "poor play calling," then a laundry list of every ill on the team, finally culminating in the claim that the "rational" see beneath all those wins and have identified the real problem...wait for it...Muschamp is head coach, not Spurrier.

"I miss the fun 'n gun." And there you have it.
  5. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +692
    Can't believe anyone thinks we only had 4 close games last year. For starters i just caught the FSU game replay and was reminded that we were losing that game early in the fourth qtr. That's a close game in my book no matter how it ended. Team deserves a lot of credit for winning the fourth quarters. You are what your record says you are, but most objective folks would say the team overachieved last year.

As for the other pi$$ing contest in this thread, I'd say most everyone would be happier with 11 wins than 9 no matter the offensive production and it has nothing to do with who the coach is. It does mean the offense needs to get a whole lot better. And Yea, bowl games count, pretty absurd to imply that they do not.
  6. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Where in my post did I say we need a pretty offense?

Anyone that can't see the deficiencies on offense is a blind homer. I'll leave it at that.

7. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Man...you are preaching to a crowd wearing orange and blue glasses. Facts don't matter to them, but they like to make excuses. To them the word objectivity has been replaced by "troll" or "hater" in their dictionary. When people tell you that a BCS bowl game is meaningless them that's all you need to know the type of fan we are dealing with these days.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    So true...

9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Hilarious coming from the guy who has made things up

You mean the fact the team was 11-1 in the regular season? What do you get when you win a BCS game? What do you get when you lose a BCS game?

You said that it was the most important game of the "season" but you cant go to a BCS game if you dont win games earlier in the year.
  10. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    So we're really going to open things up this year with the screen pass?
  11. GatorSean

Ratings Received:
    +1,381
    Isn't your entire post is about how the offense didn't perform and therefore the wins somehow count less? If not, I apologize, and I really don't understand what point you're trying to make. I mean, saying you miss the FnG and that we need to blow lesser teams out, and that winning isn't the only thing that matters is all about having a pretty offense, isn't it? If not, then what did you mean by those things?

Of course the offense needs to improve. A LOT. Not a single person is disagreeing with that.

But you're going out of the way to diminish our wins as if they mean less because we had to come from behind or because we won ugly. That's BS. The goal of any game is to win. Period. If we won, we achieved our goal.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to downgrade our victories, but its pretty weak.
  12. GatorSean

Ratings Received:
    +1,381
    Why would we need to make excuses for winning?? That doesn't even make sense.
  13. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    The coaches had the best strategy to win last season. It worked-11 wins with an extremely raw first year starter at QB, mediocre WRs, one good but not elite RB in Gillislee, in the first year under Pease and a mediocre OL is a great accomplishment.

Had they tried to be all sexy and pass happy it would have resulted in a 5-6 loss season. This season they were be a great RB in Jones and great depth behind him, still a great defense, and a improved passing game. Muschamp is getting his players in place and it will result in elite teams.

Let's look at Alabama's "lucky" games from 2008 and 2009:

2008:

Tulane W 20-6
    Kentucky W 17-14
    Ole Miss W 24-20
    LSU W 27-21 OT

And then of course the bowl loss to Utah, which was similar to our bowl loss that has some of the fan base jumping off of the edge.

2009:

VT W 34-24 (late Bama TD to seal the game)
    South Carolina W 20-6 (late Bama TD to seal the game)
    Tennessee W 12-10 (blocked a game winning last second UT fg)
    LSU W 24-15 (trailing to start the 4th)
    AU W 26-21
  14. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    You are giving something for them to latch on and nitpick on by excluding the BCS game, so they can avoid the reality of the success last season.

Even with the BCS game a 11-2 top 10 season is probably 4-5 wins more than they predicted last season. This season we have people being down on the team again predicting 8-9 win seasons.
  15. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    I'm glad to provide some entertainment for you sir.
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,929
    This.

And we won in spite of playing a MASH unit for an offensive line, and a limited set of receivers. In context, we played good offense. We protected the ball, played field position and wore teams down.
  17. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +181
    I'm not sure why you feel the need to downgrade our victories, but its pretty weak.

Because our team beat his team?
  18. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    I never said the wins should count less, I never implied or tried to diminish the wins. A win is a win, ugly, pretty, what have you. I was being facetious when I mentioned the Fun N Gun, only to emphasize how inept, boring and unemotional our offense has become the last few years (to me). I am not use to UF not being able to execute the forward pass effectively. Do I want a pass happy team??? Probably not but at least a balanced offense that can actually attack other teams.

I was merely responding to the initial OP as to why we're not considered a top tiered team to many and maybe why we are "a forgotten team". Any casual observer can see a team with a dysfunctional offense that overachieved. I give the coaching staff much credit and the players a lot of heart for gutting out wins. Kudos on a great season.

But moving forward there's a lot of questions that still have to be answered. I thought the margin of error for last years team was small and hope this year it won't be as close. It is very hard to improve upon 11-2, it's probably unrealistic to expect much more.We could probably go 10-3 and be a better season for me. Wins isn't everything for me. I just try to keep it real.

19. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,752
    Actually it was Chris Fowler who said that.

I love flying under the radar....I hope it stays that way for as long as possible! makes victory so much sweeter! :)

PS: Rece is spelled "Rece" - (everyone gets this wrong so don't feel bad). :wave:
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    This is something I dont doubt. The team could probably win 8 games and throw the ball a lot and it would be a better season to you.