"Florida Gators a forgotten team"

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorady, Aug 24, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    Yes, I was talking about four of the eleven wins being close, which I presume you meant when you said we "could have lost half our games."

FSU was close? Tennessee was close? We ran away with those games and had our reserves in the last couple of series.

For some of you, it is like the rest of the season never happened. You pick what justifies your criticism, then ignore the rest. Most fans would think a 11-1 regular season record in our league is outstanding. You marginalize it because of a game we won with a injured starting quarterback, half of our line out, and an offensive game plan that was reduced to about a third of what we normally run. That sounds like a pretty representative game to me.

It is almost as if you never heard Muschamp's rant about why he approached the Bowling Green game the way he did.

Clever. Minimize or qualify every good win, maximize or exaggerate every loss or ugly win.

UT wasn't a close game. Bowling Green is clear unless you refuse to believe it. Mizzou and Louisiana-Lafayette were terrible games. Again, 11-1 for the regular season on the whole was pretty impressive given the lack of playmakers and continuity the offense had.

At any rate, this discussion is useless because you have some mythical, intangible standard by which seasons are judged and it shifts in order to marginalize the team's actual accomplishments (offense is boring, playcalling is predictable, coaching philosophy is bad, games are too close, etc.). Enjoy the season.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    What running backs did we throw to under Meyer? And how many passes did NFL receivers Harvin, Murphy, or Cooper catch from Leak?
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Man stop with the BS. The program was not broken which is the reason we were able to win 11 games last year. You cant win a title every year UF has won only 3. The team is recruting at a high level. Now Muschamp did make a huge mistake by not landing a top WR recruit in the 2012 class and that falls all on him. However in 2013 he landed one of the top WR classes in the nation. Everything is there for this team to continue to have 10 win seasons. Very few teams are recruiting like Muschamp is doing
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    When we missed on Diggs and Algohor, I privately told some that it was the end for Muschamp because we were in such desperate need of playmakers. But the staff went with the strengths of the team, stuck to their guns when things weren't going swimmingly, and won big. That erased any doubt in my mind about Muschamp's "ceiling" as a head coach.
  5. happygatorguy

happygatorguy Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    I just hope that the game has slowed down a little bit for Driskel. The defense should be excellent as usual. It's my understanding that the O line will be better and the receivers as well. And I don't mean that as knock on previous players as I'm sure they gave 100 percent. But if the game slows down for Driskel , that a step in the right direction and I'll be happy.
  6. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    People talk a lot about Cooper but the production Diggs had with those QB's is amazing. The sky is the limit for Muschamp but he will need to win something soon. The 2014 Gator team will be some complete in offense defense and special teams provided Jeff is still the QB:wink:
  7. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Lmao...I remember last season when we got a lot of respect for the teams we beat and you just s-----d on our whole schedule. That cracked me up. Carry on
  8. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,270
    I like being the underdog and proving them wrong.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,041
    Well said! Did you feel the same way when Florida lost bowl games in 2002 and 2003, or did you throw Zook under the bus for losing them? I've been here since the late 1990s, and the only time we ever fretted over lost bowl games was when Zook was here.
  10. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Meaningless? Lol. Are you kidding me?
  11. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    Ummm the entire season.
  12. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    Only at UF could you win 11 games and some troll claims the team is broke.
  13. 1984Gator

1984Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +175
    Don't be a fool. Florida was a Matt Barkley injury from being in the national championship game last year.
  14. 11335

11335 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Leg lifter
  15. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    This year we will have a team that will perform better offensively, we may not reach the 11 wins we did last year, but we will be a force to be reckoned with in both the East and SEC.

The pieces of the puzzle are coming together, Will has the program headed in the direction we want, '14 is going to be awesome, '13 may be as well!

You nay sayers have issues giving credit where it is due, last year was not aesthetically pleasing, but our coaching staff did everything it could to produce wins and it was successful in doing so. Many of you did not like the way we did what we did and want to discredit the team's final results. Given the circumstances (injuries, staff continuity, recruiting), our record speaks volumes about what this coaching staff did to win. We won ugly, but we won, nothing you can say can change that!

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  16. RaptureVeteran

RaptureVeteran New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    that cut me deep man
  17. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +809
    I don't know, that game against MSU when Spurrier took an intentional safety on 3rd down was pretty bad. As bad as we played against UL, and we played bad, we were still in the game pretty late. That was the thing about last years team, we were in every game we played. May not have been blowing people out but nobody blew us out either.
  18. MusicCityGator

MusicCityGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,303
    You know back before last spring just before spring practice took place we had a thread on here where all the hand wringers and dooms dayers were crying about the medias lack of respect towards UF and CWM. Back then it was true and it's true today, all we had to do was beat louisville and UF has everyones respect and plays in the MNC after defeating bama in SECCG. Same applies here. If we had just beaten Louisville the same cryers would be whining about why aren't we number one or picked to repeat. It's all in our hands. God in heaven please wait until we really have something to cry about before you start pissin and moanin.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    We were 11-2. The Sugar Bowl does count, even though it's hilarious how this new generation Xers try to tell us it's a meaningless game :jeez: Old school people are pissed at losing in Hacky Sack or Spades but it's just the Sugar Bowl so why care?

First downs... Bowling Green 22, UF 14, think about that for a minute.
    We out gained them by only 38 yards, had to depend on a fumble and 2 missed field goals to escape that game in the swamp, the same way we escaped Miami of Ohio to start 2010 season too. Oh, I forgot they were both W's, so no worries. Please remind me how did Muschamp rationalize this game? What was the excuses?

ULL (5-4 in the Sunbelt at the time) was without their starting QB. We out gained them by just 34 yards in the swamp. We needed a last second blocked punt to stage off an upset. Rationalize this game as much as you want.

I don't have to cherry pick a couple of games because this was the entire season. Play like chit for a half and pull off a miraculous win in the end. We were the Tim Tebows of football last year. I should know better not to try and convince this crew. You see 11 wins, rational people see an anemic offense, Zero passing game, a QB with very low football IQ/lack of field awareness, lack of playmakers, lack of WR's, Poor offensive line, undisciplined on both sides of the ball, the most penalized team in the SEC/nation.

Just google Florida overrated and you will see that most of the country thinks we have and are overrated. Our Sunshine Pumpers just don't see the problems because we won 11 games. It's not always about wins and losses. How do you look, especially against the bad teams. It's about getting better and not resting on your laurels. Look at Bama against bad teams last year. Blowouts in all of them. They shut out 4 teams and held 3 more teams under 10 points. They had 3 close games, all against top 10 teams. We're not there yet...

20. ldgator

ldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +860
    So what the hell do you suggest smart guy?