"Florida Gators a forgotten team"

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorady, Aug 24, 2013.

1. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Wow - you only saw 4 games in the balance? You had a lot more faith in our team than what I saw.

Bowling Green had us tied 14-14 late in the 3rd, only for us to win it in the 4th quarter.

A&M had us on our heels in the first half. It took a TD in the 4th quarter and holding their offense in the 2nd half for the victory. If this wasn't A&Ms first game of the season, most people said we would have lost.

UT - 3rd straight game where we had to comeback in order to win the game. This was a UT team that won just 1 game in the SEC all year mind you.

UK - finally a game to relax/breathe.

LSU - down at halftime once again. A great 2nd half to seal the W against a good LSU team that has been just as handicapped as us on offense the last few years.

Vandy - a good solid victory that should have been easier.

USC - great overall W against a quality USC team.

UGA - ineptitude all over the offensive side of the ball. 9 total points against a UGA defense that was being shredded every week by much less talented teams.

Mizzou - Took late, last second heroics to win

LA -Lafayette - Took really late heroics

Jax St - we looked bad in this game despite the score

FSU - another 2nd half push to win

UL - I don't even want to go there...

I count 9 games that were in the balance leading into the 2nd half. 9 games that could have gone either way. Thankfully we were a good 2nd half team and were able to pull most of those games out but we were living on the edge most of the year. The main reason we were so close in all those games was strictly because our offense couldn't stay on the field (in turn kept our defense on the field). It's not only how bad the offense was in the passing game but think back on how many games/times we went 3 and out, and out and out???

Look at some of our scores... 20, 14, 9, 14, 23... We were #118th in passing, middle of the road in scoring. How/why does a team like UF rank near last in passing? And overall on offense? I could understand because we play teams with good defenses, but what was the excuse against all the poor teams we played too?

I don't believe that we have a lack of talent on offense. I think we have just as good players on offense as all these other teams we're playing and much more than the UL-Lafayette's of the world. I think we've been saddled with poor play calling and average QB play. Very vanilla, always predictable, playing to not lose versus trying to win style of offense. I mentioned the Fun n Gun only to be facetious in that our offense the last few years seem to have zero emotion, no fun, no desire to actually score points. I have literally fallen asleep watching our offense... AT THE GAMES no less. :bored: It seemed to start with that game against Miami, OH where we kept dribbling the ball, messing up the snap. Ever since then, our offense has been a train wreck.

2. gavinuf7

gavinuf7 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,107
    We were a top 10 team last year and went to a BCS bowl. You are wrong.
  3. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,031
    Aren't most game between two top 10 teams 'in the balance'?

uga vs Bama
    Bama vs LSU
    LSU vs A&M

All of them were won by 5 points or less. I'm not sure why our close wins against those teams are considered a huge negative. Since we played more top 10 teams than anyone else, wouldn't you expect a lot of close games?

We beat UT on the road by 17 points.
    We beat f$u on the road by 11 points.
    Not sure why those games are even questionable?

All you are really left with is BG (first game) and uga, ULL, and Mizzou (where we were down to having to start two 3rd stringers and didn't even have the bodies to run some of our most effective packages).
  4. tec68

tec68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +91
    I think you forgot what W and L means.

Thats all that matters. Nobody looks back and says "oh they went undefeated and won the championship but could have lost"
  5. scgator_8586

scgator_8586 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Who cares if we barely won games or the offense left much to be desired last year. The Gators still pulled out a nice 11-2 season. Better than a lot of other SEC teams can say. A W is a W no matter how you look at it. And yes.... An L is an L. But still, 11-2 record last year, I am happy. Ready for another great season this year. In my mind an opinion we are always contenders. We are the Gators of the great University of Florida.
  6. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    We've had similar results passing under Addazio, Weis, and Pease the last 3 years. When you get similar results with 3 different coaching staffs, you must conclude it is talent related. We made a big improvement running the ball last year. Call it lack of talent, or experience, but it's obvious to me that the problems we experienced on O were due to a multitude of talent/experience problems, across all O positions. We will show a big improvement this year, and then we can move on from these 'hand wringing problems'.
  7. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    How can anyone argue with these facts?
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,149
    But your argument wasn't that half the games were "in the balance leading into the 2nd half"--never mind that in the balance is as loosely defined as possible. Your argument was that we could have lost half of our games, to which I responded that there were only four out of our eleven wins that were even remotely close to being losses. I mean, is it not reasonable to think you might actually be down at the half to a top-ten LSU team or a top-ten A&M team in their place? Fortunately, we are allowed to play the second half. Same thing with Tennessee and FSU: we went on the road in difficult places to play and blew the doors off them the second half. But because it was a game into the third quarter that means we could have lost it? Well, I guess technically we could have, but how many teams nationally playing a similar schedule couldn't say the same thing?

Why is passing yardage the primary arbiter of a successful offense? I listed several different statistics that reflected the general efficiency of the offense and its most obvious weakness--a lack of explosive playmaking. It was the same exact way in 2006 when Harvin was off the field. Playmakers change the game. We didn't have them.

Which is why we beat 11 of them and only lost to two of them.

Outside of a seven-game stretch in 2008, I can't think of the last time our scapegoat for every ill in the Florida program the last 11 years hasn't been "poor play calling." What exactly was so poor about the play calling last year? We played to our strengths in the run game, we took care of the ball, we used what few playmakers we had available in diverse ways, we threw a ton of personnel packages and alignments at everyone we played, and we tried our best to protect a sophomore quarterback playing behind a bad pass protecting line under our third different offensive system and third different offensive coordinator in three years, all the while having zero consistent playmakers at receiver.

You forgot "bend but don't break," "three yards and a cloud of dust," and "only the strong survive."

Listen, at root I don't disagree with you: our offense the last three years has been poor. Without question. But I follow recruiting closely enough to know that our quality of playmaker at receiver has been almost monumentally low for our program and worse than many of the other programs with whom we are competing. I also know enough about football that it seems patently obvious the lack of continuity in our offensive staff has in turn inhibited our ability to get the right kind of kids for what we want to do, to develop them toward that goal, and make them comfortable in our system and our coaches comfortable with what they can and can't do.

If it is like this the next two years, then there might be reason to suspect a deeper systematic problem is at work, such as Muschamp getting too involved on the offensive side or dictating what he wants Pease to do or even the offensive staff not having the player development or play calling skills to make us effective. On the other hand, given the inveterate criticism of six offensive coordinators in the span of eleven seasons, almost always revolving around some claim that we are vanilla (read: don't throw it deep like Spurrier), conservative (read: don't throw it deep like Spurrier), and predictable (read: don't throw it deep like Spurrier), I am inclined to believe that the mythology surrounding the years 1990-2001 has ingrained itself so deeply in our psyches that we can neither recognize a successful offense when we see one, nor appreciate a successful program when we have one. The years 2005-10 speak to the that.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,149
    Uh, yes. Easily.
  10. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Yes Alabama's offense really sucked this season. Also the Miami hurricane's national title winning offenses really sucked as well.
  11. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,251
    UGa's defense showed up for one game. ONE last year.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  12. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    You lost a bunch of credibility with that post. We were on the verge of a NC birth last season and have had two great recruiting classes.
  13. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    You said there were only 4 games total that were close. Obviously 2 of them were losses. Now your saying 4 of the 11 wins. I merely showed where 9 out of 13 games were close, which they were. If you're losing at half or the 3rd quarter and need last quarter heroics than those are close games. If you need to block a punt against a FCS school, you have problems regardless of your final record.

The truth is that we played a lot of awful to average teams. UT, UK, Mizzou, were God awful, Jax St, Bowling Green, UL Lafayette should never be close games. LSU was flawed offensively, TAM was playing in their first game of the season/SEC. Vandy, FSU and even UGA were all overrated. Injuries are a part of football. It is no excuse, especially when the offense looks poor, with or without players.

I expect close games against top 10 teams but against the UT's, Mizzou's, Bowling Green's, ULL??? Come on. If you really think we should struggle against those teams then I don't know what to tell you.

14. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Ummmmm Louisville.
  15. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    ^^^ We had a great season last year. I appreciate the effort our team put out on the field. So I don't want to appear to be an ungrateful fan. I just tell it like I see it and we were not as good as our record.
  16. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    what about them? I dont even count meaningless bowl games as a part of last season. If anything they are just a part of spring ball. That being said the team still fought.
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Actually we were as good as our record you just didnt like how we did it
  18. mac4lyfe

Ratings Received:
    +844
    I enjoyed UK and USC and LSU /FSU 2nd half. The rest of the games I had heartburn and hangovers drinking too much.

UL was one of the worst games I've ever seen as a Gator fan. The prancing like a peacock and showboating by our team made it unbearable. I can't think of a game in the last 30 years that irritated me more???

19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    The team celebrated plays in that LSU game you liked too. That LSU game had enough offense for you? Crazy how loses in a meaningless game frustrated you more than some of the FSU or UGA loses over the years. Personally the UGA game last year was more frustrating to me than the UL game.
  20. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I think last year was an anomaly, Muschamp admitted as much, and Louisville showed it. Meyer broke the program and its going to be no small fix, and it won't be fixed this year. I think we'll win seven or eight games and get invited to a minor bowl, but the program is still on the mend. I think it all boils down to recruiting. Spurrier was able to recruit great receivers because he threw the ball. Under Meyer he had Chris Leak who could make the passes, but when he left chucking the ball to great receivers became a memory unless you were a tight end or running back.

I'm not sure Muschamp is the guy to fix what Meyer broke, but I think it's going to be another two years before we should start talking about going to the championship game.