"Florida Gators a forgotten team"

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gatorady, Aug 24, 2013.

1. gatorady

gatorady Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    ...said Chris Fowler on College Gameday this morning, after no one even mentioned Florida when debating the East and SEC champion.
    I think we are due for a reminder :)
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +334
    I love the fact that everyone is dismissing us. Will make it that much sweeter when we win the East!
  3. Sylez_G_Koolaid

Sylez_G_Koolaid Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +162
    It's all just jibber jabber, bro.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. RaptureVeteran

RaptureVeteran New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I want to be optimistic about this team and then I remember I'm a troll and my optimism stops there
  5. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Ratings Received:
    +145
    Yeah, Bama, LSU, USC and even Georgia with their no defense defense were all talked about for contenders.
  6. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Ratings Received:
    +145
    Yeah, amazing how we won 11 games, only the 7th time in school history, with no offense.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,177
    We'll know they're taking us seriously if they start saying Jeff Driskel will never make it in the NFL.
  8. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    We're gonna shock the world!!!

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,662
    Proves the talking heads don't do their homework
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Yep, we won 11 games but could have lost half of them if you're honest. Several games was much closer than they should have been.

Because of our predictable, low efficient offense, the margin of error for us was very small. We were always teetering on the edge. We rarely just beat teams, we basically squeaked by them. We won 11 games but it didn't really feel like we were in control.

Our offensive production the past few years have been the worst I've ever seen at UF. It is beyond frustrating to watch. The difference in our defense to our offense is glaring. Why hasn't the offense caught up to the defense? Why does the offense often times go in reverse? I dread watching our offense. It is flat out boring for any football fan.

I am very optimistic we will improve but it's hard to forget the past.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    I loved watching the team last year. It was one of my favorite Gator teams. They fought for everything.
  12. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    There is this thing called talent. When you evaluate and recruit better on one side of the ball that tends to happen
  13. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +334
    True, but then again just about any of our seasons we played games way to close or should have lost....sometimes did lose. We could have just as easy went undefeated. Would of, could of, should of.....we still won 11 games.
  14. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Agreed. Yes our O was lacking depth on the Oline and playmakers on the outside but they were tough as nails and a pleasure to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  15. egator7

egator7 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    I am still confident that Pease can get it done. We have the top QB in the country in that class. Our Oline is going to be better, and we have some stud receivers coming in.

The main thing though is Pease is in the second year, so hopefully the handcuffs will come off, or at least loosened significantly.
  16. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +207
    The 2006 national championship team just squeezed by in their wins too.
  17. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I have been watching UF football for 34 years and I have never, ever had such a low expectation for an offense. The past 3 years, I don't even expect us to move the ball. I have very little faith that if we needed a score to win a game that we could sustain a long drive and put up points. Watching our offense is like watching the Keystone Cops at times.

We have always had good offenses, even when we were bad. I don't buy it that we've somehow recruited better players on defense. If that's the case then move some guys over. I think it's a philosophy. Teams with much less talent can move the ball, why can't we? I know we've had changes every year on offense and that is probably the biggest reason but we have to be better. I miss the fun n gun.

18. Moorespeed

Moorespeed New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    +1
  19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    You might have had little faith but last year when we needed to score we found a way to do it in the 2nd half.

You dont buy that we have recruited better players on D? Just look at the recruiting rating of our DB's vs the WR's that were on the roster last year.

Teams with less talent on offense also have less talent on D and take more risk because they have to. Muschamps main priority is to win football games.

It seems some fans would rather go 8-4 and score a bunch of points than go 11-1

The bold is what is really the problem for you. But the fun and gun is not coming back. SOS team have relied on D the past 5 years. The league is also differnt
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    By my count, there were four games we could have lost--two came against top ten teams and two came in November when our roster was emaciated due to injuries and lack of depth--and one game we could have easily won that would have put us into the SECCG for a national title.

The problem was our lack of playmakers. The offense wasn't inefficient. It ended up with the second fewest turnovers in league play, third best completion %, and sixth in third down %, the last of which is actually pretty remarkable given the fact that we were thirteenth in sacks against and fourteenth in penalties and therefore we were behind the sticks a ton. The problem is that it wasn't explosive--twelfth in yards per play and yards per pass attempt--and that has everything to do with the weak receiver play.

The difference between offense and defense is that the latter was still reaping the benefits of the 2010 recruiting bonanza and had far more experience and talent across the board. The offense is still "catching up" in recruiting before it can ever "catch up" on the field. The offense "goes in reverse" because we had a first time starter at quarterback whose weakness was blitz recognition, a weak pass protecting line and backfield, a lack of speed or playmaking ability at receiver, and our third offensive system in as many seasons with yet another set of protections, hot reads, and checkdowns. All of those areas either have been improved or are in the process of being improved and it should begin showing this year, but especially next when we stand to return eight starters and the 2013 receiver class is in position to contribute at a higher level.