"Florida Dressed Only 13 Healthy Defenders @ Mizzu"

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Oct 24, 2013.

1. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    Games are won on the line, and our O-line has not stepped up partly due to injury and partly due to lack of depth.

It seems lost on some that UF has it's 3rd different OC in 4 yrs....if you can even call Charlie Tuna an OC when he was here, dude just was sitting on the sideline waiting until the buffet opened up.
  2. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,008

2014 is the year this Gator squad should be directly competing for a national title.

There will be no excuses next year IMO.
  3. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    :roll:
  4. 1984Gator

1984Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +175
    Let's see now. Even if we were down to 70 scholarship players and subtracted all 8 season ending injuries from the defense, we should still have 27 available players on defense...I'm calling BS!
  5. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    Where did that quote come from?
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,808
  7. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
  8. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,018
    Or at least an SEC title. With a loaded team, Boom has to deliver...
  9. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    I am sure that the quote about 13 defensive players referred to 13 of the two deep. Of course they had more than 13, but when you go below the two deep, they are not considered game ready.

Champ did say they should have played Bostwick and Ivie--in hindsight. I don't know, and neither does anyone else know, what factors were considered in the decision not to burn their red shirts last week.

I simply don't know how you can say that a coach has to compete for a national championship in any given year. By that measure, SOS failed 8 out of 10 years at a time when playing for the "mythical" national championship was largely a beauty contest anyway. (Well, I would say that 95 was a monumental failure as well).

For one thing, the rules to get into the playoffs will be vastly different in 2014, and I imagine that regional politics will raise its head, big time. I will be surprised if more than one SEC team gets in, and considering the anti-SEC sentiment around the country, the committee will probably be happy to exclude any SEC team if they can find an excuse.
  10. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    So, for the people who want to keep the current regime, would the "new rules" look favorably on an SEC team with a 10-2 record that beats MAC and directional schools 24-6 but loses to decent schools like LSU and Georgia regularly?
  11. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,239
    Too bad he only had these scrubs to work with. Too bad none of them could make the NFL...
    Riley Cooper
    Deonte Thompson
    Jeff Demps
    Aaron Hernandez
    David Nelson
    Chris Rainey
    2x Pounceys
    Maurice Hurt
    Marcus Gilbert

I think what you mean to say is that Tebow sorely missed Harvin.
  12. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,018
    Rep to you
  13. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Jarred Davis looked good in mop-up duty on defense. Thought I remember seeing McAllister and Neal out there on defense, too.
  14. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +295
    Beat me to it. Tim was the greatest. Literally. But he was never without weapons. I got so sick in 2009 hearing about how we only had two receivers (Riley and Hernandez) that the coaches "trusted." My gosh, the NFL trusted several of them enough to pay them each a large boatload of cash. Our offensive woes definitely started in 2009 - regardless of the stats. That team should have been unstoppable, even without Percy.
  15. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Riley Cooper-good college wr, but wasn't close to the talents we had prior. Reidel, Ike, Jabar Gaffney, Percy, Reche Caldwell...and Riley Cooper? Not.
    Thompson-Try again. Again, compare him to past Gator receivers.
    Demps-A guy who makes big plays when there is the necessary talent in place to allow him to flourish, and his speed made him somewhat overrated.
    Hernandez-Baller. Won't debate that.
    Dave Nelson-The production didn't match hype or talent. Again, Florida has had great receivers; Nelson was not a great college receiver.
    Rainey-Like Demps, he's not the type of guy you want carrying the load. Behind the speed, moves and flash, he was largely unproductive against better defenses.
    Pouncey twins-Great players, but the unit as a whole struggled at times.
    Maurice Hurt-Really?
    Gilbert-The production in college didn't match the talent.

Collectively the '09 unit underachieved. Cooper, Nelson and Thompson came in with plenty of hype, but only Cooper lived up to the expectations, and he was hardly special. Tebow really meant that much and, while he did have help at times, his abilities really masked how average that offense really would've been-and was at times-without him.

And yeah, Harvin really was that good.
  16. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +630
    2009: was definitely where the offense started to sputter. The talent we had just had the ability to cover the bad play-calling until we ran into Bama. Finished 9th in scoring offense.

2010: things were really exposed, but oddly enough, we still finished with the 43rd ranked scoring offense.

2011: Ouch. Changing philosophy, injured QB, etc.etc.Hindsight is 20/20, but if Muschamp would have had enough foresight to hire an OC who knew how to run the spread (which is the same thing Meyer should have done when Mullen left), and had adopted a spread offense mixed with his style of defense, we probably would be contending again. Finished with the 71st ranked scoring offense.

2012: things were still ugly. The defense bailed us out and we won 11 games. Finished with the 78th ranked scoring offense.

2013: certainly, we have gone from bad to worse. Currently 102nd ranked scoring offense.

Hope it gets turned around, but these have been some frustrating seasons to watch on the offensive side of the ball.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  17. sec1

sec1 VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    enough with reasons why we look horrible , we lost to miami when we were healthy ... and we looked pretty bad and im pretty sure we wouldnt look much different now completely healthy
  18. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Mike,

I don't look for it to get much better offensively this season. The talent simply isn't there. The receivers and tight ends just aren't that talented. Patton is a guy who can put up numbers against teams like Kentucky, Vandy and Arkansas, but honestly is nothing more than a fun little toy for a creative offensive mind to work into an offense that has other talent around him.

The offensive line is horrendous. Kudos to the staff if they can get those guys playing better ball, but we won't see any improvement as long as they're playing the way they are. Kelvin Taylor may be the only offensive player on this team capable of putting up big numbers against a solid defense, and it's never a good thing when you're only legitimate threat offensively is a true freshman running back.
  19. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814
    So your point is we are the 106th most talented team on offense...
  20. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Actually, my point is that we flat-out suck offensively. If you want to use that to take a cute little shot at the staff, go for it.