Florida: A Basketball Powerhouse?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BengermanV, Oct 31, 2013.

1. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +682
    For me, in order to be a powerhouse in basketball, you must have five things:

1. A proven coach
    2. Be involved with the top recruits, year in, and year out.
    3. Consistently make the NCAA Tournament
    4. Have won a Championship(s) in the last fifteen years.
    5. A relatively large, if not very large, fan base.

I think Florida has officially reached this point. Obviously, we have Billy Donovan. We are definitely in the mix for top recruits every year. We consistently make the NCAA Tournament, with only a couple of blips on the radar. We have won two championships in the last fifteen years. The only question is whether or not we have a large enough fan base. I'd say we probably do.

What do you guys think?
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,756
    I think we are just under the "blue blood" level in basketball terms.

We are a powerhouse, the real question is, how do we become a "blue blood" school? Is this some sort of thing that nobody else can be apart of (i.e grandfathered in due to past success) or is it possible to crack the ranks with a 10-15 year period of dominance (3-4 championships)?
  3. ufballer86

ufballer86 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    i think we're very close. one more title (minus the 04s) and the odome renevation should jus about do it
  4. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    I think we are just on the cusp of it. The back to back NIT years delayed it, but we will reach upper echelon soon.
  5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,257
    I'm with 0607 that it's an exclusive club (blue blood). Maybe one day, but I'm thinking a couple/few more generations.

It's not too different than football pedigree, where we're still considered young money even though no one has won more since 1990.

When grandfathers have a DOB of 1980, and we're still winning, we'll be "blue bloods". Until then, I'm happy with "power house"
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +619
    The only two things I see hurting Florida here are history and fan following. History is an easy fix for UF IMO. All it takes is time. Billy is doing it. Its not his fault he didn't start coaching Florida in the 70's. Every year that passes, you guys have a little more history and move further from the newcomer realm. IMO, final fours and titles are what people point to and remember. All Billy and his successor (if that happens at all soon) need to do is stay ranked/relevant every/most years, and sprinkle in some final fours or a title every so often (not very often even).

But one of the things I think of with blue bloods is a qualitative energy with their fans (I don't consider UCLA one). Just a buzz, I don't know how to describe it. Florida has it for football and has, as a school, one of the biggest fan bases in college sports. IMO it just needs to grow, when it comes to basketball. That may be something that time fixes also. No adult UF basketball fans grew up loving an elite Florida basketball team. That won't be true for long.
  7. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595
    Good question. I think we did it in football, and if so, it seems that it is possible, at lease in that sport. Obviously, the Gator football team is never going to rival the history of Nebraska or Notre Dame, but that history doesn't seem to be the be all for this categorization. (Though I may even be wrong about our football team even being widely considered a blue blood)
  8. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,932
    I go with the "you can only serve one master" philosophy. It is pretty obvious that football is king and there are only a few real elite programs in basketball.

But we are in a damn fine situation with Billy as HC. The real question is can we parlay it into the future when Billy retires?
  9. jmoliver

jmoliver Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    I just don't get UF alums that don't follow basketball. If I lived reasonably close I would be at every game. I have been a season ticket holder for football for 25 years (missed 5 home games) and drive from PB County. I go to every basketball game I can get to. Basketball is so much fun.
  10. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    We're there, and if not... We're very close
  11. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,756
    Even the alums that do show up usually use that time to sneak in a nice 2 hour nap.

I've seen sick alley oops go down and the whole crowd is going crazy besides the only people visible on TV, the alums who barely muster up enough energy to give a golf clap.
  12. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,257
    TV (by shooting from the wrong side) does the program a disservice, that's for sure.
  13. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Muschamp may be trying to make UF a "blueblood" or as I call them one sport athletic programs. Think about these schools, Duke, IU, UK, KU, UCLA, UNC maybe UL. Only the last 3 have any real possibility of being powers in football, so these schools chose long ago to focus on basketball.

I would put UF in the separate but parallel group of UF, Ohio State, UTx, Mich State, Michigan who are large powerful athletic programs that have good football and basketball programs.
  14. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +751
    With the way the football team has played recently, I'd say basketball is going to be king this year.
  15. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    We need more fan support.
  16. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    I think Florida is a football school with an incredible basketball coach who has done a great job of developing basketball savvy, an excellent team and work perspective, and beneficial personal characteristics in his players.

That does not make a school a "blue blood" in basketball.

It is possible that over time, if Billy D continues to coach the way he has, that the Gators may actually become a basketball powerhouse in a way that will pass on after he leaves.

I think it is when people who were born in the 1990s become grandfathers that we might see such a thing occur, perhaps.
  17. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Florida is clearly a basketball power. We have the best coach in the country - 2 NC, 4 FF, 3 straight elite 8's, talent all over the NBA.

If the criteria includes winning titles in short shorts then it is wrong. If you are 20 and younger you look at Florida in the same light as all the big boys.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  18. dawny

dawny Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    Billy just needs to let the boys play and then i could agree, but it wont happen, he is to conservative and control freak of a Coach now, just like Football.
  19. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    We are definitely a powerhouse in basketball, somewhere in the 5-10 range. To become a blue blood we have to maintain that over several coaches. Not going to the NIT would also help.
  20. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +731
    UK, UNC, IU and UCONN have all been to the NIT in the past decade fwiw. UCLA didn't even make the NIT in 2012
    • Like Like x 1