1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Fix My Shoulder Pain?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Allanon, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +446
    Do any of you know anything about this program? If it is a good one then I may get it in the hope that it will help my shoulder.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    I am familiar with the two gentlemen and understand they are highly respected in the fitness community. I do not agree that "your chiropractor is uniquely qualified to address your neck and shoulder issues." Regarding my particular issues, turns out that I knew better than the last chiropractor I paid out the wazoo to fix me.

Why not just poke around youtube for some shoulder fixes ? All shoulder issues are not alike. My shoulders didn't improve until I started doing some stuff which is opposite the usual recommendations. Ex. I know longer 'pack' my shoulders during vertical pressing/pulling. Instead, I allow my scap to freely migrate. That's what works for me.
  3. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    I've been to the chiro and gotten adjusted and treatments but the shoulder still bothers me a lot. It does not bother me when working out, with a few exceptions. I just have to avoid those exercises. I've had about 2 weeks off now and it is better but not well. I don't like skipping my workouts.

I have seen a lot about this program and just wondered if it would be worth the money since the program is already designed and all. Plus, my wife has been going the route of "if you are going to have to have something done then you need to go ahead and get it done before Tax Season starts." Not the route I prefer, of course.
  4. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    No clue about this program. All I can add is that I probably wasted a year not taking care of a nagging shoulder injury before I had enough and needed surgery. So after pt, surgery, more pt and then finally working my way back in the gym I had wasted about two years.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    Hehe, gotcha. Try it out. The little tweaks in the teaser videos seem like standard stuff, minor form alterations that may take the stress off the affected structures and allow them to heal.

But whatever the case, don't despair. There are almost always ways in which you can work around injuries. For example, there have been times in which I took breaks from vertical pressing and just concentrated on horizontal pressing. Or, if your shoulders are fussy from bench pressing, well, that's an example of an exercise that no one other than powerlifters really needs to do.

Also: google "21 exercises for injury free mass" It's an excellent write-up by Bret Contreras.
  6. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    And I saw a guy I know at our son's football game last night with his arm all bundled up in a contraption like he had had surgery. I'd really like to avoid that.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    Did you ever explain to us how you think you're hurting your shoulder ?
  9. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    It started bothering me about a month into working out with my sons this Summer. The first time I felt it was laying on the bench doing flies. It's been diagnosed as bicep tendonitis. Doesn't bother me when doing most exercises but it seems to aggravate it so it is worse later. Limits my range of motion especially anything behind my back or head. If I wake up sleeping on my arm I just have to brace myself to move because it really hurts. If I lay on that side it feels like I can feel movement in it if I lay just right. It seems to be a little better following a couple weeks off. Worked out with the 15 year old yesterday. I only did lower body but it hurt when I stepped under the bar to squat when I raised it up to grip the bar. I am really fed up with it.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    That doesn't sound like tendinitis to me at least not how mine has felt in my triceps and forearms.

Of course I'm not a doctor and have never dealt with biceps tendinitis myself. If it were me I'd get a MRI to make sure there isn't something torn in there.
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    Did your doctor tell you what to do ? And exercises that you should do ? shouldn't do ? I can see where barbell squats would aggravate it.
  12. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    I have been to the Chiro about it. The guy that I normally go to that works a lot with our high school football team is the one that said bicep tendonitis. He is really good but he has had some serious health issues and has not been able to work much the last few months. I went to another guy that I know and he just said shoulder tendonitis. He is who I have mostly seen with this. He has given me the ultrasound treatments and told me a series of stretches to do. They have helped but I still have the problem. The last time I went to see him I told him about feeling it move a little and he was not that concerned about it but I think, like you, that it may be time to get an MRI and get a better look at it.

The trainer for our football team works with the bone and joint doctors nearby. If I say something to him he will get me in to see them a lot sooner than if I just call their office. I think it just may be time to take that step.
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    I do think you'd be wise to see an ortho in this case. Ortho may or not prescribe an MRI. And you might get some additional, valuable input.

Meantime: do no harm. Find ways of working lower body without putting pressure on shoulder girdle.

When recovered, consider making some serious determinations about movements you can and cannot perform without injuring yourself. Did you check out the "injury free mass" article ?
  14. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    Yeah, looks like an excellent article.
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    And don't feel like you're surrendering if you opt for any of those exercises. Remember that there is no such thing as an exercise you can't do without.
  16. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    No problem there. Agree with you completely.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    CArdinal rule (that I hope I haven't learned too late): Don't serve the weights. Let the weights serve you.
  18. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    I just got back from the Ortho. He did x-rays that showed a little arthritis and a bone spur in my shoulder but not where I am having any problems. He examined it pretty thoroughly and gave me a cortizone shot along with setting me up to go get some rehab on it. I should only have to go a couple of times and then I will know the exercises I need to do. I go back in 6 weeks if it is not better. He said I have some bicep tendonitis and some rotator cuff tendonitis. No MRI at this point but if it does not get better we will do one at that time.
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    As you expected, I gather. You may be able to do soon, if not right now, the very sorts of movements that might bolster your bench press down the road, like horizontal pulling movements, rows, etc.

Crucial point: on rows, you do NOT have to pull your upper arms past the midline of your body. You NEVER have to pull your upper arms past midline.

I myself have been able to row substantial (for me) resistance during bouts of tendonitis.
  20. Allanon

Ratings Received:
    +446
    No, nothing really unexpected. I hope this works. I sure don't want to have to think about the S word.