Five Myths about Libertarians

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by asuragator, Aug 3, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,486
    For instance notions of "evil" are pretty ridiculous. Libertarianism can exit within or without a state entity.
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,327
    Fact: People like talking about libertarians.
  3. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,922
    Fact: Often, that talk is about them needing mental health counseling :laugh:
  4. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    I agree with some of the views, but I am most assuredly NOT a libertarian by today's classic definition.

I am staunchly ultra-conservative on social issues, not as doctrinaire on fiscal issues. I want government to keep hands off my $$$ and to be limited in scope. But, I want abortion banned much worse than I want taxes lowered. A tax rate is not a moral issue of life-and-death. I believe government has a role to play in the big moral issues of preserving innocent unborn life and of preventing people from destroying themselves through drugs, etc. But I DON'T want it in the role of monitoring (nsa) my phone calls.

Basically, my political views are "whatever is the exact opposite of the demo_rat party and of obsama".

My view of police brutality is that the police nowadays are the extension and expression of Statism to the local level, and therefore I want them limited and reined in. I am not the "classic law-and-order" Conservative in that way. I see today's police as thugs enforcing statism and obsama's views.

I want our borders closed.

I want the NSA, the IRS and the fed all abolished. A massive scale-back of the size of government will lower taxes take care of taxes all by itself.

I want SS phased out. I want what I have earned and paid into it.

I don't fit the Libertarian tag as it is defined today.