Fitness apps

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by StrangeGator, Aug 5, 2013.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +778
    Been using MyFitnessPal for over three months and really enjoy it. I'm sure some of the calorie burning estimates they give you are less than accurate, but it's better than nothing. The calorie intake numbers are very accurate, unless it's homemade food and hard to measure. I've lost about eight pounds over that period of time without changing my workout, though I do walk more. I also have MOVES, which tells me how far I've walked each day, so I add those numbers into MyFitnessPal.

Just downloaded AlphaTrainer two weeks ago and have completely changed my workout. I was getting a little too random about my weight training, leaving out a lot of lifts that I just didn't like without consideration of how balanced my routine was. The routine the app recommends is based on my age, height, weight, current fitness state, my goals and how many days a week I will go to the gym. Day one is a killer, 55 sets (mostly super-sets) and estimated at 73 minutes in duration. I do twelve sets on the bench alone, flat, incline and decline. Days two and three are somewhat shorter. Day four is a 23-minute plyometrics routine. I couldn't even finish it the first time. I hadn't done much jumping in a while and not done an interval workout in months. Did much better this week, but I'm still a wimpy jumper. It's a 12 week program that ramps up after each three week interval. It'll be interesting to see where this goes next week.

Anybody else using fitness apps or devices? Might be getting a FitBit, or I might wait to see what Apple is working on for 2014. They're deep in development for some type of wearable device and have hired a lot of people from the health/medical devices field.
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    I use Fitocracy to track my workouts and get a good sense of community.
  3. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +778
    I've shied away from the social functions on all my apps. The community here is enough for me. Being part of a web based enterprise, I'm also keenly aware of the fact that the social aspect is as much for the benefit of the marketers as it is for the users.
  4. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Trust me its a lot better discussing fitness on fitocracy than it is here. Not sure how it is with the other apps that you use.
  5. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +778
    Checked out Fitocracy. I see that's actually more of a fitness oriented social platform. Seems like a lively and well-informed community. I'll probably add them to my twitter feed for the health and wellness startup I'm involved in. We're not funded or operational yet, so my primary role is to follow other organizations, startup enterprises, thought leaders, health technology companies and venture capital funds that work in that sector. I also have to tweet throughout the week and write the occasional blog post.
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    They have only been around a little over 2 years I believe. So not that far from being a startup themselves. And they have made some good relationships in the health and fitness world. Got Arnold even doing something with the site and plenty of fitness personalities are using it.
  7. busigator96

busigator96 Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +376
    RunKeeper for me
  8. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +778
    Thanks for chiming in. It was starting to feel like Leaf and I were exchanging PMs. FWIW, I know a lot of people using RunKeeper.
  9. ssplasma

ssplasma Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I love my fitbit, it tracks my steps, mileage, stairs. Also more importantly for me, it tracks my sleep habits. I found out I was waking up 18 times per night.
    Also, I am very loyal to them, I lost my fitbit at the movies and they sent me a new one for free.
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +778
    The startup health and wellness company I'm involved in plans to use the Fitbit Band as its primary wearable device. We've integrated the Fitbit API into our data analytics, but aren't operational yet, so we haven't purchased any devices yet. I hope to be getting one when we take our first client online in October, assuming I get it free. Best device on the market right now. Things will be interesting a year from now when Google, Apple and who knows who else is marketing wearable devices.
  11. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    I find fitness apps to be lacking. I have tried multiple ones in the past and none of them have stuck. Usually what happens is I will either forget to bring my phone to the gym or the battery will be near dead and can't use it.

When the phone is there and I am using it to log, I also find it difficult to input stuff on the fly. Arms/body tired from what you just did trying to hit small buttons on the screen doesn't always work.

That said, fitocracy and strong log weren't too bad.

Ironically enough, the one fitness app that I use the most is "my tracks" or something like that. It is a running/jogging/walking app that logs the route you run with gps history on a map and gives you various stats like average speed, time, so on and so forth...... and I hate running. Though, I use it in the car to optimize my way to work instead of actually running. :)

All in all, hard to beat a pencil and paper.
  12. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    I use JEfit on android. It is just a weight training tracker. Doesn't include all the stuff I don't want such as social, diet, calories, suggested workouts, etc.

It is very easy to use and input. You can set up your various workouts, choose one, and then it will just step right through it. Has an easy interface to input weight reps. You can set up supersets, etc. You can download a gazillion exercises or do custom ones too.

For example, if during my last chest workout I started with 135x10, it will autofill that for my first set during the current workout and then I can just hit save or change reps or weight.

The paid app is a few bucks and allows you to chart historical progress in a particular exercise.

Of course, I always charge and take my phone since I listen to music while I workout.
  13. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +778
    Just read that MyFitnessPal got $18 million in first round funding from Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield and Byers, a huge venture capital firm in the Silicon Valley. It'll be interesting to see what they do with that much money. Odd that they went seven or eight years self-funded, then bit the bullet.
  14. nickdelatorre

nickdelatorre Beat Reporter Staff Member GC Staff GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,327
    I've been using the BodyBuilding app, but it doesn't really give you a workout routine. I've found that my workouts have gotten sporadic like the OP stated and I'm going to give Alpha Trainer a shot.
  15. asn0808

asn0808 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Using MyFitnessPal to keep track on net calories -- very useful and helps me measure what I'm putting in and controlling junk -- only had one cheat day since I started using it over 15 days ago (lost 8 lbs; got another 15 to go and get down to 9% BF). The cheat day was actually in Gville eating hot wings from Farrah's on the Avenue. Noticed the wings are the same, but since using MyFitnessPal and guidelines for fat, sugar, sodium and carb intakes, my food selection has changed 180 degrees...in only 15 days. Now my body is changing and it's rejecting (at least taste buds are) salty (wings, pizza) foods while inhaling fruits, proteins and Asian vegetables (thai food...no curries...just ginger based broths).

Coupling that with daily 800 calorie burning cardio at gym and Insanity at home (though I'm usually dog tired by the time I start Insanity) but nonetheless the pounds are shedding off and belly is leaner.
  16. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +712
    i use runkeeper for any running/biking that i do. my girl has a fitbit that she really likes.
  17. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +778
    Alpha Trainer was great for several weeks, then it just stops and tells you that you need to pay $10 a month to keep going. I've opted for one of their free workout programs that I just repeat week after week. It's not as comprehensive as the one I was doing, so I might spring for the $10 program for a month or two, then drop it.