First thoughts, I HATED THIS GAME

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATOR_4Life, Sep 7, 2013.

1. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life Member

Ratings Received:
    +11 / 3 / -0
    I'm still collecting my thoughts, but I hated this game not just because we lost but how we lost. I never believed we could have a 2-3 touchdown quarter and embarrass Miami. Heck even though I thought we'd pull it out, I never believed I was going to get on my feet a cheer.

I read post after post about how winning washes all sins, and I no longer think that's true. Football is not what it used to be. We aren't going to games because our homes are cheaper, and more comfortable. When we are at home we expect to be entertained, and every game competes with everything else on TV, the Net, even our kids. If we don't end up changing the channel that temptation makes us even angrier when we lose, and even if we win we are less boastful, less proud.

Our attention spans are shorter, and football has become about entertainment 1st and winning a close (but clear) 2nd. I think a coach will have a longer career at Florida if he can put up 40+ points a game and "only" be a NC contender 3-4 years, than a coach that always seems to have perennial top-10 team but wins on time of possession and by less than a touchdown. Of course NCs change that math, but Nick Saban is really the only coach this generation who can consistently deliver NCs.

Look at Mark Richt. He's not a great coach, but he puts up enough points, and is competitive often enough that he sticks around.

Bottom line is any coach at Florida needs to be good, but they need to be a whole lot less good if they keep us entertained.

Yes we are spoiled. We came of age under the fun-n-gun, and we won 2 NCs with Tebow and Harvin. The only real winning we've seen is with high power offenses….and yes the defenses on those team were great too, but it’s not what we remember. But that's the deal at Florida.

I think we'll win lots of games this season, but its going to be painful. If the problem is our HC then he needs to be reminded of the expectations of a coach at Florida. If it’s our OC then we need to find somebody who can energize the team and is willing to stay a few years after he does (a new OC every year doesn’t work either).

If Foley is in a situation to hire a head coach again, he needs to put "offensive genius" near the top of the requirements.
  2. gatorzguy28

gatorzguy28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +11 / 7 / -0
    I think Pease is a good OC. His formations were sound, the players were getting open, the personnel groupings are good, his calls were mixed very well. And the coach that is coaching defense has done a great job. The players have to play. I think more and more we DON'T have players on offense at all. We are bankrupt offensively with talent. Only the rb spot do I feel we have competitive talent. We don't have great receivers (hell, we don't have one dependable one in the bunch), no great TE, certainly no qb, the line, while better, still has a ways to go. We are void of anything threatening when our offense is better at putting points on the board for UGA and Miami than they are for UF.
  3. g0ggles

g0ggles Member

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    Flashbacks off last years Georgia game I'm having. Team did everything possible except the most important thing: holding on to the football. I'm gonna go crawl into a hole until 9/21/13
  4. g0ggles

g0ggles Member

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 1 / -0
    No production from the TE position may hinder this years offense. Someone needs to step up immediately
  5. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +156 / 52 / -20
    All of the above, but the OLINE is already decimated and will be a problem that feeds everything else.

As much as I want Driskel to succeed, he just makes bad decisions at critical times. Holds the ball or throws into traffic when he should just get rid of the damn thing. If they cannot break him of that it will be a very long year.

These throwaway games are just sickening.