Firing Muschamp at season's end would be a bad idea.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by CitRain12, Oct 22, 2013.

1. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    Tennessee is not Florida. We have tons of in state talent. They have none.
  2. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +253
    I'm am not sure who shoulders the blame for personnel decisions on the offense. The easy answer is CWM is responsible for everything etc etc. That may not be fair to CWM but I think most fans, myself included, think personnel management is a systemic problem inside the current coaching staff. I'm not a talent scout by any means but when the offense is ranked below 100 consistently (on the near term) I tend to worry less about a players "up side" and more about his "right now side".
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +911
    Yes, they want to get rid of a guy that went:

Mack Brown----------------------------------------------Spurrier/Meyer

Year--------------W/L Record......W-L Record---------------Year

1998.........................9-3..............................9-2-0.......................1990
    1999.........................9-5............................10-2-0.......................1991
    2000.........................9-3..............................9-4-0.......................1992
    2001.......................11-2............................11-2-0.......................1993
    2002.......................11-2............................10-2-1.......................1994
    2003.......................10-3............................12-1-0.......................1995
    2004.......................11-1............................12-1-0.......................1996
    2005.......................13-0............................10-2-0.......................1997
    2006.......................10-3............................10-2-0.......................1998
    2007.......................10-3..............................9-4-0.......................1999
    2008.......................12-1............................10-3-0.......................2000
    2009.......................13-1............................10-2-0.......................2001
    2010.........................5-7..............................9-3-0.......................2005
    2011.........................8-5............................13-1-0.......................2006
    2012.........................9-4..............................9-4-0.......................2007
    2013.........................4-2............................13-1-0.......................2008
    .................................................................13-1-0.......................2009
    ...................................................................8-5-0.......................2010

Total.....................154-45 (.774)..............191-42-1 (.818)

Average................10-3..............................11-2

You're right. They ARE like us...:D
  4. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    i agree with the original poster. this recruiting class is a big one. plus theres not many good coaching candidates out there to sign this coming offseason. it would not be worth it to fire muschamp and get an average coach. im sure foley knows this so im not worried about it. firing champ this season would be a really bad mistake.
  5. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    I would say it is beyond intolerable. If anyone can watch that crap product and enjoy it, well, they must like watching paint dry while getting their fingernails pulled off.
  6. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    Not sure what that has to do with it?

Kiffen and Doley were bad coaches... worse than Fulmer. Firing Fulmer made things worse for UT, despite UT's feelings that it couldn't get any worse.

Firing Muschamp could make things worse for us. There is a risk involved. If there was no risk and there was a guarantee that the new coach would be better than the old coach, then Foley would have fired him yesterday.
  7. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    I will hold judgement until the end of 2014 but if we still suck by that time then i will say fire him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S4 using Gator Country
  8. starchase1

starchase1 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    The question is who. The answer is Bob Petrino. Yes, I know his past. Yes, there will be those ready to cast the first stone. He is a proven head coach and would be a bargain. He could take our beaten up team and beat most opponents. In two years we could be a contender.
  9. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +328
    Tebow will save his soul.
  10. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    we were a contender last year and could be a contender with Muschamp next year
    • Like Like x 1
  11. starchase1

starchase1 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0

And, in your dreams!
  12. starchase1

starchase1 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0

And, in your wildest dreams!
  13. gatornib

gatornib Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I think Muschamp has done an exceptionally poor job recruiting and coaching the offense for three years now. I don't like to watch Big 10 offenses. I understand WM has a great defense. But we simply cannot win the SEC with such conservative offenses.

I think Muschamp (and probably other coaches) deserve to be punished for building such a poor offense three years into his tenure.

However, if we fire the head coach, we'll have to start from square one. When I look at ESPN's top 300 recruits for 2014, I see that we have 4th highest rated RB (Dalvin Cook), the 2nd highest rated WR (Ermon Lane), and the 5th highest rated QB (Grier).

If you think all three of these guys would stay if we fire Muschamp, then I'm fine with that. But I think there's a good chance we'd lose some or all of these guys if Muschamp were fired.

I think we should (and I think JF will) give Muschamp one more year, provided the incoming recruiting class is very strong, especially on the offensive side of the ball (for me, I think JF should require a top 5 offensive recruiting class, but I have higher standards than most). And then I think we should give Muschamp a very short leash. There's no reason for any more patience. These freshmen will have to produce immediately to save WM's job.

Muschamp will have been here 3 years without a December trip to Atlanta. If he doesn't make it to Atlanta in year 4, I think he should be relieved.
  14. bgator85

bgator85 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    It is debatable. There have been surveys done of coaches, and almost every time UF is considered to the top job. They probably have a pretty good understanding of what makes the best HC spot. Playing in the best conference and sitting in the middle of the most fertile recruiting state interests a lot of people.

BTW, the LHN is probably a negative for Texas. Everyone seems to hate it, including their coaches and they struggle to get providers. They make the same amount having their own network as we did with Sun Sports.

And you might want to talk to A&M about Texas getting all the recruits. That is far from the truth nowadays.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
    And if next year is another 7-5- or 8-4, the cry will be the dame. It's UM fault, it's oc's fault, we will lose that recruiting class..... Wash, rinse, repeat. Sadly, I'm afraid alot of people are resting their hopes of keeping "their" coach around on a 17 year old true freshman qb stepping in and being Payton Manning right away. Just a tad bit of pressure on his shoulders. The learning curb will be steep with bama and Lsu on the schedule.

In no way am I knocking WG or his ability. The offense is that bad. 1 kid can't change it.
  16. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    It's clear by now that WG is taking a redshirt year. Lets not interject inaccuracies into the conversation to prove your point.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  17. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    Keeping a bad coach on because you are worried about losing one recruiting class is throwing good money after bad.

At best, you'll only have the same problem the next year.

At worst, some or all of the recruits you want to keep may read the handwriting on the wall and go elsewhere anyway. Then you'll lose this year and next year.

Not saying that this applies to WM or that he should go or stay. Let's see what happens the rest of the year.

Just saying that if and when a school decides they have the wrong coach, the "we'll lose recruits this year if we fire him" argument is a terrible excuse for not making a change.
  18. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249
    It is hard to justify having an offense ranked in the 100s with the number of athletes we have.

I guess the big questions are

1. "If ____________ were coaching this team, with this roster, would we be better?"
    2. "If he were coaching this team, would we still have landed similar, better, or enough talent to be more succesful than we are now?"
    3. "If 'yes' to above, is he available AND would he come here?

I personally think that that blank can be filled in effectively.

I really hope things get turned around, but I have lost confidence in this team's ability to win championships with Will as HBC. It is nothing personal, and I really hope he proves me wrong.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  19. LostReptile

LostReptile New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    with this 1950s offense and terrible oline coaching / development, muschamp will have a hard time getting 5 star oline recruits to UF.
  20. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +531
    Great post.

There will never be a good time to fire a HC and there will always be an excuse. Some here are purely in denial after 3 years. Heck, I remember when Zook was fired during the season, some were saying how this was going to set us back and how bad the timing was regardless of his on the field (and off the field issues).

Not to mention, keeping a failure of a coaching staff on board for the sake of one recruiting class is just silly. Who's to say they don't transfer when we wait another year to fire the staff? Who's to say some in the class get injured themselves or never pan out? I am from the mindset that 3 years gives you a good body of work on work performance, especially a rookie HC. But let's just keep predicting the future of possible consequences with 100% certainty because you like the guy. C'mon fellas.