Firing Muschamp at season's end would be a bad idea.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by CitRain12, Oct 22, 2013.

1. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018
    Are these the same ones who, in the same breath, mention Bobby Petrino as a candidate? :grin:

Yeah, right. That's going to happen. :no:
  2. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    foley gives muschamp at least through 2014---maybe even 2015 if he shows more progress next year.
  3. rogocop

rogocop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +205
    You are wrong as far as I am concerned. I am realistic, I don't expect NC every year, but I do expect us to be in a position to win the SEC East, Win the SEC Championship every year and let things fall in after that, that is the standard to expect at this University and as a booster and alumni. Yet you make is sound criminal to expect high standards....Yes I will complain when we have a 4-3 record and would be 6-1 if we could score 24 points a game. I will complain when we fall to the 4th best team in the state of Florida, I will complain when most of the country is pleased by our ineptitude. I will complain when our offense falls into the 100's in the country. I will complain when our Red Zone production is anemic. Sorry, but I never have, nor will I settle for mediocrity and stand by quietly. You may settle for Roseanne Barr as your prom date, but I want Kate Upton....
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +982
    But even EXPECTING to be in a position to win the SEC East EVERY year is unrealistic. This year, Florida lost 13 starters (11 prior to the season, plys two more during the season). That normally would produce an 8-4 record. It is unrealistic to expect an 8-4 team to compete in the SEC East, especially if there are other teams in the division that are loaded, healthy and blessed with an easier schedule than we have.
  5. rogocop

rogocop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +205
    I would rather have unrealistic expectations as opposed to apologetic posturing and excuse mongering. I don't think it is unrealistic if you are the University of Florida, Kentucky maybe, Vandy maybe, but not UF. I don't believe that the other teams in the East are loaded by any stretch. We are not behind them in talent and if we are then there is another issue. I will continue to be disappointed with not making the SEC championship game and don't ever want to hear the term, well at least we are bowl eligible.

Why should we not expect to compete for the East every year and win it. We have the money, the facilities and the talent pool to draw from. I have trouble with the "well as long as we are competitive I will be fine with 9 or 10 wins each year". Sorry, I can't be that guy. If we had never been to the mountaintop like USC, Vandy, UK, Ole Miss, MSU or the likes then I could settle for less, but we have been there and dominated, why not now. There is not enough anger and passion in lack of expectations....lets just give them all a trophy for participation.
    Sorry if this year has pissed me off, but re-watch every game like I have and then be satisfied. As a stakeholder in this team, I want better results and yes even expect them. The University of Florida should reload every year, not rebuild.....

You play to win the game......
  6. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +621
    It is crazy to even suggest that he would be fired! He needs a healthy team and better offensive play but you rest assured he will address these issues.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorfan96

gatorfan96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I don't expect to win the East every year, but I do expect that our team looks like they are being coached well. I've watched every Gator game that has been on TV for the past 25 years and for the first time ever, I turned off the game early because of the way this staff coaches the team.
  8. traubgator

traubgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    i expect for our head coach to field a team that can compete both offensively and defensively against SEC teams. win or lose, i expect kids/coaches to play to the best of their potential. I expect to see drives extended because of great offensive calls that put your top playmakers in positions to make plays. I expect to see the defense shorten drives by mixing up blitzes with different 3-4 man fronts. I expect to see consistency out of the RB. i expect to limited mental errors and penalties. i expect to see special teams that are willing to go out and win the game. I expect to see coaches put the kids in position to have an opportunity for success.

besides the special teams, none of my expectations were met.
    i've watched 7 weeks of football and i'm stunned at how much better offenses unc, ucf, nc state, ole miss, syracuse, and army's are then ours!! do they have better players. i don't think so.

i have no expectation to win a national title every year. i have no expectation to win one every 10 years. i have no expecatation to win the east every year, but do i expect to compete week in and week out.
  9. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    About the same for me. This game was lost before we got off the bus. We lose play after play with what happens before the snap. That is getting out-coached. At this point theres little reason to watch because there is not much sign of hope. You're not going to miss anything.
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +982
    Kentucky and Vandy NEVER compete for the SEC East. That isn't a good comparison. Florida has down seasons as well as anyone else. When they lose a dozen starters, they don't compete as well. How hard is that to understand?

We are behind them in experience. An experienced three -star who was reasonably well developed throughout his career is better than 95% of 4-star and 5-star true freshmen. True story.

I don't think we have worried about being bowl eligible since the 1970s (not counting the sanction period of 1986-9). We are having what seems to be a bad year, and if we lose to Georgia, USCe and FSU, we will stumble into a bowl game, like we did in 2011. But let's see where it will end up.

A dearth of experienced starters plus key injuries usually do that.

So do about 40 other programs, many of whom are in the SEC. They also want to win.

Then you are spoiled, whining that your Dad won't buy you a new Porsche, rather than a new Camaro, when there are so many others who would do anything to have a rusted out Chevy Vega. We are not entitled to win the SEC East every year, and the SEC every two years. When we are loaded with EXPERIENCED talent, then we can aim higher. Not every year can be 1996, 2006 and 2008.

With the exception of USCe the past two years, all those teams were happy to finish the season with a winning record and a bowl game. Florida hasn't been that way since the very early Pell Era (again, except for the sanction years). When a 7 or 8 win season is considered a down year, we are pretty damned good. And when we get those down years, we have to dig deeper to analyze why than simply say "_____ sucks! Fire him NOW!"

Now we are getting into hyperbole. We aren't Kentucky or Vandy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +203
    For all of you saying fire Muschamp... let's hear your candidates.

It is clear our offense sucks. And it has for a long time now. That is champs fault for hiring two shitty OC in a row. Fix that.

As for the defense, color me not worried. We lost lots of starters from last year and this week played without our starting dts. Ropo, and riggs. In addition to other losses.

One thing to be assured of, we will always have a good d while he is here.

Fix the offense.
  12. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +982
    This we can all agree with. Our offense is painful to watch.
  13. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    I don't expect an NC every season, but I expect to be in contention for a NC/conference title every season. Halfway through the season and we're already out of the NC race and barely hanging on to any hopes of wining the division.

Add on top putting out a terrible offensive product on the field, it gets harder and harder to watch every week.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,860
    What's happening on offense is ugly and unacceptable.

But realistically with so few returning starters from last year and so many injuries and turn over on top of that, there is no way we could compete for the SEC.

If we still had Easley, Green, Debose, a healthy Halapio, Dunker, Jacobs, and Powell, things would look a lot better for this team.

But we don't. Hopefully we address OL depth and coaching by next year. If we do, we should be in great shape. Not sure on Pease, but it's really hard to put together any kind of game plan or call plays with any flow when your OL is getting blown up every other play.
  15. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Agreed.
  16. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,366
    Firing Will is probably not the answer, but then, what is the question?
    How bad is bad before it is intolerable?
    Fans, season ticket holders and boosters were complaining last season about the offense, that in a 11-2 year.
    Then there was Miami.
    Look at the stats. We are number one in TOP.
    Almost dead last in everything else.
    We are behind Ole Miss.
    Think about it.
    Just think about it.
  17. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +751
    WM's here for another year. Accept it. He will change the OC... only question is, will it be this week, or end of season?
  18. rogocop

rogocop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +205
    I won't take the time to dissect your dissection of my post...too tiring. While I read all your responses, none of them changes my mind. I do expect to win the East each year and will not temper those expectations (not demands). UGA fans expect to win each year, USC fans do each year now, so why not Gator fans. Yes we had unexpected injuries this year, yes we turned the ball over to Miami or we would have won, but all things being equal would this team still be 4-3.....maybe.

Sorry, since the Spurrier years, I expect to win the East each year. I am sorry if you think I am overreacting, but I don't like 7-6 seasons and am starting to think that 11-2 was an anomaly and not 7-6. I don't want Muschamp fired, never have, but my responses are to the post that Gator fans expect to win the NC every year and whine when they don't, well I don't expect to win the NC every year (that is unrealistic) , but the SEC East.....yes....damn me for that if you must, but when evaluating the University of Florida football program, should we not be in the conversation every year or not. I certainly hope the players and coaches enter the year expecting to win the SEC East regardless of pitfalls and don't take the time to look at our schedule compared to others. Maybe that's our problem, we are defeated before we play.
  19. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    I expect to be COMPETETIVE!!!!!!!!! I expect to be WELL COACHED!!!! I expect to see IMPROVEMENT WEEK TO WEEK!!!!!!! WHERE AM I WRONG??????????
  20. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Briles, strong, Franklin, Shaw, freese, sumlin...