Firing Muschamp at season's end would be a bad idea.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by CitRain12, Oct 22, 2013.

1. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,440
    Yes, it was better than your typical 11-win team in that most 11-win teams don't also play perhaps the toughest schedule in the nation.

As to luck on turnovers, I think a whole season of results is enough to indicate our great TO margin last season was not just luck. One game, maybe you can chalk up to luck (although I don't go that route for our UGA game - I think our TO problems in that game were primarily due to UGA's very aggressive defense in that game), but a whole season is a pretty good indicator IMO that a team just knows how to force TO's on defense and knows how to avoid TO's on offense.

I think this season's results are showing that this year's Gator team is not so good in that department.
  2. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    We crushed LSU?
    Didn't we beat LSU(crush) by the same amount that we "played close"(UGA)
    Are you actually pretending that A&M was the same team when Bama played them?
  3. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,440
    Good point about LSU (not so good point about A&M, but throw them out if you want), but the question still stands.

Why could we compete at least as well as Bama did against common opponents, but Bama would have crushed us although they didn't crush them? I don't blame everyone for not answering, because there is no sound explanation - other than irrational Gator fear.
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    Dickey might have won SEC titles at Tennessee, but he didn't do very well at Florida except when Gaffney was there. Muschamp also isn't dooing as well as Zook.

For me, from top to bottom:

Meyer (two MNCs in six years, and three 13-1 seasons. No one is more accomplished)
    Spurrier (one MNC and seven SECs, the face of Florida football)
    Pell (built the foundation of modern Florida football)
    Hall (two SECs witha loaded team; poor records from 1986-9 not his fault)
    Graves (brought Florida out of the Dark Ages)
    Zook (going 23-12 with 38 new starters in 3 years, brutal schedules, two robberies, great recruiting and being hated while doing it makes him pretty decent);
    Muschamp (had a great year when he had a loaded team; mediocre when not)
    Dickey (only had success with Gaffney when he could run the wishbone. Program deteriorated badly at the end).
    Woodruff (didn't do too badly with what he had, but I'll never forgive for leading the charge to have our first SEC title vacated)
  5. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Just revisiting this thread to respond.

Here's my reasons for this. We regressed for much of the latter part of 2012, culminating with the Sugar Bowl. We stopped running the ball consistently and our QB play got progressively worse.

Offensively, Bama would have crushed Driskel and forced turnovers, much like Georgia did in Jax.

Defense would have kept us in the game for a quarter and a half, until the game was broke open by a pick 6. I'm glad that we didn't have to suffer the indignity of this. The Sugar Bowl was bad enough, but noone outside of UF or 'Ville fans really noticed, thankfully.
  6. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I'll add that TAMU had the advantage of a dynamic playmaking QB who played out of his mind that day in Tuscy.

Does anyone here think we would have gotten that kind of performance out of our QB?
  7. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Tommy answered this for me. Until we get a coach with a bigger clue(as well as a staff) and some more talent, I don't want any part of Bama. We have been plenty embarrassed lately.
  8. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    how many years will muschamp get to win a title before foley pulls the plug?
  9. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,440
    That's a lot of speculation. I didn't see a regression except for our ability to run the ball when our OL was banged up. When the OL was healthy again, we soundly beat a pretty decent FSU team at the end of the year.

Call me unconvinced and still perplexed as to why Gator fans assume Bama would have crushed us - other than the "woe-is-us" strain of self-flagellation of the program that is so prevalent among Gator fans.
  10. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Firing Muschamp would be an incredibly bad idea! He deserves at least 2 more years and a little luck in the injury department!
  11. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +251
    Is the a team in college football that consistently has the turn over margin that UF enjoyed last year? Let's call consistency 3 years of the last 4.
  12. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +251
    UF was plus 15 in turn overs last year. If that's what you are going to base your philosophy around then I would expect inconsistency over the long term.