Fins trade Landry to the Browns...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Mar 9, 2018.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Floridian by Birth, Now in beautiful coastal, NC.
    Ratings Received:
    +36,387
    No idea if this is good or bad, but the truth is, for all of his catches (a record amount in his 1st 4 years) He did not stretch the field at all. $18M is a lot to pay a slot guy.

Seriously...no idea what to think of this.
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,420
    They traded him for many reasons. Cap space. All the 15 yard penalties. They want speed. Miami did not get a lot back, but freeing cap space is like trading for the players who take that space. The penalties were really a problem.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,814
    It's never good news for anyone to go to the Browns.

Poor guy
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,132
    Miami is a terrible franchise right now and not going to get better anytime soon. the Franchise and most of the fans just live in the delusion that 17-0 is the end all of everything.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,758
    Landry had a lot of catches last year, but also quite a few drops. Still, he is better than what remains. Never seemed happy last year, so maybe that was a factor. Tanneyhill better have a big year. Hard to be optimistic if you're a Miami fan.
  6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,765
    Would you be happy making $18 million?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +8,407
    First, I don't follow the team and any of the players. IMO, what happens, and it happens everywhere in the NFL, is you sign a player to a contract that provides some guaranteed money and an escalator to their base salary. That way if the player catches on the contract is there to make them feel they are being compensated for their production.

But if the player goes average then their contract no longer looks good for the team going forward. To me it is a way of giving the player more leverage in free agency when compared to the old days where the team basically ruled everything. And yes, many players get complacent after they get a nice raise. Either that or they feel too much pressure to produce to the level of their contract. And obviously having a QB/system that gives you fantasy football numbers so that another team thinks you are a key piece is always in fashion.

So in reality it is buyer beware. Teams try and fail all the time. And yes, I do believe that money has made the players soft when compared to "the good old days." It is what it is.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  8. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +36,387
    Do we? I was unaware that I felt that way.
    No, on the contrary. Miami is mediocre and we know that. But lets save "terrible" for the Clevelands of the world.
  9. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +36,387
    Parker and Stills are very good wideouts, and can spread the field. Landry was a slot guy. I think Miami goes after another guy who can spread the field, and a TE who can catch in the middle of the field. Drake is going to be a good back.

2018 hinges on Tannehill's knee and continued development. Most forget he was having a possible pro-bowl season before getting hurt in 2016. And was looking "great" (according to Gase) in camp before re-injuring his knee. Miami still made the playoffs, but were much better with Tannehill than Moore in 2016.
  10. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +36,387
    Also, they have to consider letting Suh go, even though he eats up two O-line men on every play. He is paid way too much for a team that needs multiple upgrades.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. hobegator

hobegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +451
    Landry was their best offensive weapon but they have too many other needs and not enough cap space to keep him. Even if they let Suh go, they still have to eat a staggering amount of his contract. The front office has really worked them into a tough position for the next few years. If Tannehill does not come back strong, it's going to be a painful rebuild.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,258
    Landry is the only guy that beings electricity to the team, and the only reliable guy thst moves the chains with any degree of consistency. He is fearless in the middle of the field, and he is IMO the guy that generates the most excitement on a consistent basis. None of the other Fins receivers have any degree of reliability or consistency. He will be a huge loss.

The Fins are going to suffer, again, through a total rebuild. It is beyond frustrating at this point. They will likely select a QB with their pick this year, and that guy will not be close to ready (either Josh Allen or Mayfield). We are gonna stink.
  13. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,517
    The Browns took advantage of the Dolphin front office The Dolphins get a 4th round draft choice for a top pass catching WR. The Browns got a 3 and a 4 for their former QB Kizer. The Bills got a 3 for their QB Taylor from the Browns. Can’t belive Dolphins let an all provgo for a 4th round pick??? Then again, they are run by the same guy that ruined the NY Jets over the years. Sad!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +36,387
    Well, They did get two picks for Landry, but I agree about Mike Tannenbaum.
  15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,765
    Not an NFL fan, but I do feel sorry for the Fins with their salary cap woes. I feel sorry for all the teams with their multimillionaire players causing them salary problems. I don't have a BA degree, but I suspect that for most business organizations the solution to this would be simple. Like don't pay your employees ridiculous salaries. So sad!
  16. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,186
    I'm not sure what the second half of your post even means. I'm guessing its a shot at Dolphin fans, of which I am one. I was barely alive when they went 17-0, but I'm entirely realistic about the state of the franchise right now.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +36,387
    This ^^^
  18. UFGator05

UFGator05 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,964
    Im glad we made that deal he’s not worth the money

Now we need to dump that dumb Suh contract and draft Baker
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,420
    I gave up my 50 yard line seats this year. Seats in the sun and the team or league schedules early games in September and October. Harder to recover as I have gotten older. Going is a major time commitment and has been less fun. With parking, $900 increase this year. If the team takes a step up, I will enjoy it on TV like most people.

I do not see the team escaping mediocrity, or being bad, but i hope I am wrong.
  20. novagator

novagator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +841
    Miami made the only move they could. They tagged him and got what they could. The only other options were let him walk for nothing or work out a long term deal. Paying him $15 mil a year which is what he wanted would have been a terrible decision. Great possession receiver yes. Worth $15 mil no way.
    • Like Like x 2