Final: Jacksonville Trinity Christian Academy 27 Bradenton IMG Sports Academy 24

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by mikehev, Oct 18, 2013.

1. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +630
    IMG is a boarding school that operates more like a college program. Lots of D-1 talent. Probably able to offer scholarships.

In my opinion, them playing other high schools would be comparable to a college team being able to pay their players minimum NFL salaries, and competing with other college teams that can't.

Some may think this is an odd thing to say, but Trinity winning this game is a win for traditional high school football in my opinion. On top of that, Chris Wienke coaches IMG... and Gus Scott coaches at Trinity. You'd have to pull for Trinity every time if your a Gator!

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  2. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +323
    Tuition & boarding at IMG is $66,000 per year. I doubt they give out too many full scholarships. Still I don't like the idea of a company that employs sports agents being in the business of high school sports.
  3. mikehev

Ratings Received:
    +630
    Exactly. Just seems off.

In Christ,
    Mike
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    no Trinity has more talent than IMG. Off the top of my head I can think of 6 2015 players that are going to play at a BCS school from Trinity.

Also schools like U school and STA etc recruit as well IMG will just do it on a bigger scale eventually. This is also their first having a football team.
  5. mikehev

Ratings Received:
    +630
    IMGs cupboard is not exactly bare. Even still, not talking current rosters, talking principle makeup of their program. For a team to be in their first year and have the kind of talent IMG has says something. Trinity has had a solid program for nearly 20 years, probably has the best team in Jax, FL right now, and won by 3 points.

The benefits of being a boarding school creates opportunities that are more like a college program, and less like traditional high school football.

Trinity's win tonight was good for high school football in general IMO.

In Christ,
    Mike
  6. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    Bolles is a boarding school. How would you categorize them? More like UC or IMG?
  7. mikehev

Ratings Received:
    +630
    More like UC IMO. I think the big difference with Bolles is that the majority of their students are not boarded, and an even smaller percentage is being boarded specifically for sports. Most of their players come from the city of Jacksonville, like a traditional private school program. In general, they are built around academics, but have put together an outstanding program like some of the other historically good private schools (Trinity, UC, NFC, etc.). I still think they have been given some allowances over the years, but nothing near what IMG might turn into in principle.

IMG, on the other hand, is built around sports. For them, it really is like having a college program in many ways. For example, their QB, who is committed to Penn State, is from Canada.

In Christ,
    Mike
  8. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +323
    The biggest advantage IMG has is that they are an independent and do not have to follow the same rules as even the other private schools in Florida. When the FHSAA sets certain dates that practice can start and other rules IMG does not have to follow them. They practice year round. Just think about that advantage, most schools have to wait until a couple of weeks before the season starts to start practice, IMG has been tweaking its offense and defense all summer.

The disadvantage IMG has is there is no playoff for them. When the regular season ends their season is over.