Final 9/28/13 #8 FSU Seminoles 48 at Boston College Eagles 34

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BobK89, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I never acted as if I was a gator fan. I do closely follow the gators. I meant DT exp.
  2. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    the noles will get stomped to he curb in clemson. should lose by 10plus. their defense is just so bad and really their offense is solid, but i think clemson may be able to play a little more defense than the mighty pitt and bethune cookman. your offense isn't nearly as good as you think it is and you may have to play a good team to figure it out the hard way
  3. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    I disagree that they don't have the athletes. Deon Long and Stefan Diggs are probably the second best WR duo FSU will see this season. Cj Brown is a heck of an athlete at QB too.

The biggest problem that I have seen are missed tackles in the backfield and open field. Guys just aren't finishing plays. It's hard enough having the discipline to defend misdirection teams like Maryland with good athletes. You absolutely cannot miss tackles or you're going to be giving up a lot of big plays.

I really think by November, the defense will be playing more to it's extremely high potential, but it's still early enough for their struggles to result in a loss or two.
  4. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Who let this clown out of the big top? gee nolies sure are here in force when they are winning
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133

I have yet to see if fsu's offense is better than last year's team if they can't even establish the run against lowly BC. They pass better, but again, it's against incredibly medicore competition.

I've watched Nevada and Pitt (early on), move the ball between the tackles on fsu, as did BC. You may choose not to see it, but it happened. :roll:
  6. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,133
    Technically, Fowler is a LB.
  7. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    I'm not worried about the running game. FSU is averaging 6.5 yards per carry, highest in the conference, 4th highest for all BCS conference teams. But FSU also has the 3rd fewest carries in the conference, yet still is 2nd in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns.

I put the blame for FSU not "establishing the run" in the first quarter on the defense for being on the field so long. It's not that FSU can't run the ball early, it's they were playing from behind and chose to go away from even attempting to run.

Here are the running plays for FSU in the 1st half vs BC.

11 yard sack
    -1 loss by Freeman
    5 yard run for Freeman
    5 yard run for Freeman
    0 yard run for Freeman
    End of 1st quarter, and already down 3-14

4 yard run for Winston
    2 yard run for Wilder
    20 yard run for Winston
    6 yard run for Winston
    6 yard run for Abrahm
    14 yard run for Freeman
    End of 1st half

Only 7 carries by the backs through the first half. 4 of the 7 carries went for 5 yards or more. But FSU was down early so they had to throw the ball (in Jimbo's eyes). BC had the ball for like 10 minutes in the 1st quarter, and I put that on the defense for being unable to force 3 and outs or turnovers.

FSU's defense has started slowly in every game and put the offense behind, which is why Jimbo doesn't seem concerned with trying to establishing the run early. But when FSU does run the ball they have good success.

It's absolutely worth noting that they haven't played a good run defense yet so that probably skews the numbers some, but of the problems I have seen on both the offense and defense, the ability to run the ball isn't high on the list. Pass protection, fumbles, penalties, on the offense rank high imo. Missed tackles, discipline, penalties, and overall softness up front rank high on defense.
  8. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,133

You're averaging 6.4 ypc against mediocre competition. Beat a real team and I'll be impressed.
  9. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +241
    Thought the same thing. The first three opponents SWAC faced are not really world beaters on D. BC didn't look much better.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  10. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    I dont mean to cherry pick but at the end of the first half BC was letting you have the run up the middle for 6 and 14 yards right before Winston's bomb. Im not sure those runs are a good indicator of what your running game was doing in the first half. Also, I wouldnt include Winston's numbers scrambling for 20 yards because his pass blocking was broken down as a positive. Which paints the real scenario. First half rushes by guys who are rbs...-1, 5, 5, 0 and 2. Do the math...11 yds out of the rushing game...uggly. Looking at BC looks like what the FSU running game should look like. Maybe FSU should look into some trick (or misdirection) plays to "help" their sad running game.
  11. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    It wasn't implied that you should be impressed. I'm not "impressed". In fact I even brought up the competition. Was simply an assertion that running the ball, or an inability to run the ball, hasn't manifested itself as a problem.

Where did I include Winston's rushing as a positive? When I talked about the run game, I only mentioned runs by the backs. The list of rushes was just a list of rushes, sacks and scrambles included. But that didn't factor into my paragraph about the running backs. The backs had 7 carries for 31 yards at half, 4.4 per carry. You can cherry pick, as you called it, to obscure the number, but I contend that FSU has shown so far to be able to run the ball when they are willing to. The defense having trouble getting off the field (and having the team fall behind early) seems to be dictating whether Jimbo actually is willing to "try and establish the run."
  12. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    So essentially you are including the last two rushes of 6 and 14 yds at the end of the first half as padding to what is a deplorable figure. Lets just say I watched the game and those two runs were the with less than one minute remaining in the half and BC was willing to give you some rushing yardage to run the clock. Correct? Include it if you have to but that is exactly why FSU got twenty yards rushing added to 12 miserable yards of true rushing offense.

I agree getting off the field is a challenge for the Noles in the first half and fortunately for them the level of competition doesnt make them pay for a sloppy opener. There are two things I see in every championship team that wins them the crystal. One is an ability to get off the field on defense and the other is to bury your opponent by running the clock to end the game. I dont see FSU having anything even remotely in the ball park in that regard. It is what you see in the first half which is essentially the carbon copy of last years Nole team. The root of your problem is not the talent but the guy at the top...Ron Zook Fisher. The guy was essentially a quarter away from getting fired in the nearly blown ACC "cough" championship but at the end of the year he gets an extension. He is the problem for your team.
  13. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    Suppose you do take away those two carries, for arguments sake. That means Jimbo only attemped 5 runs the entire first half. That still leads me to my point. It's not an inability to run the ball, it's a decision by the playcaller to NOT run the ball. I think there is a difference between "team cannot run the ball" and "team isn't attempting to run the ball." When FSU has tried to run the ball this year, they have been successful.

I've been highly critical of the coaches on both sides of FSU, this year and last year. So I'm not contesting anything mentioned there.
  14. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    FSU doesn't have a Defense from what i have seen so far.
  15. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    i hate fsu. and i can't stress it enough, nole fans and alot of espn/college football shows thought fsu was the real deal after winning games by 50plus points a game at this point last year. and fsu's number one overall defense. that was the joke of the century! i remember turning the game on and the broadcasters talking about how good fsu's number 1 defense was. then UF who was ranked 100plus in total offense lights up 30plus points on it. give me a break FSU!! play real teams and get perspective. i hope jimbo stays there forever, what a crappy coach.