Final 9/28/13 #8 FSU Seminoles 48 at Boston College Eagles 34

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BobK89, Sep 28, 2013.

1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,166

I didn't see all these trick plays, but just good execution by BC, and no, I don't expect Maryland to beat fsu unless they have suddenly found a good front four who can keep pressure on Winston every play. Defense isn't just a DL, or just a secondary, or just a group of LB's, it's a combonation of good players and depth all of those positions that make a defense good. fsu has not faced a good DL or secondary so far this season, or a defense that has any depth to match their athleticism.

What I've seen is that when Nevada and BC actually pressured Winston in the first halves of their games, the fsu offense struggled. When they just ran out of gas athletically and from a lack of depth, the fsu offense began to thrive, and in both games, fsu was behind in the first half too.

Granted, I'll say this... Winston won't be sitting back in the pocket with all day to throw against UF's defense, because they're going to be in his face within 2 - 2.5 seconds, and his receivers won't be running wide open all game either.

Clemson and Miami have athletes who can run with fsu's offensive players for the most part, so it will be interesting to watch.
  2. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +2,166

Good points.
  3. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Yeah. That nole is full of crap.

What they need is their "leftover" who is clogging up running lanes in Hogtown. Nole DL is sorry.
  4. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Shrug, there were several misdirection plays that resulted in huge plays or scores. FSU is inexperienced on defense; these were missed assignments. BC did not powerrush their way to 34 points.

As has been the trend for FSU this year, they couldn't get off the field in the 1st quarter. FSU's defense is inconsistent. I think that can be directly attributed to new scheme/young players. Don't know what that will look like later.

FSU was thoroughly pummeled in the first quarter. They were winning by half time.

Maybe, it will be an interesting match-up.

I wouldn't really call Kenny Shaw FSU's number 1 WR. While he does have the most yardage, he does not have the most TDs and, historically with this group, Rashad Greene is the outside threat. If I were to guess, the safety may have gotten pulled in by Winston appearing to be screwed.

A 2TD win in an away game for a young team = pretty good. BC is better than UK. UF won by about the same margin.
  5. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +825
    100% delusionole.

Trying to compare our game against UK to yours against BC? Don't lump us in with that sorry performance, nole.

Misdirection is now a trick play? Same margin as UK. LOL. What a tool.
  6. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    Trick plays...I encourage you to review the play by play. All I see is rush 8 yds, rush 6 yards, rush 10 yards, rush 6 yards...it is essentially the whole first half. I see Winston with 2 50 yard plus bombs...other than that one drive. As I said the Noles were dump trucked. If anyone got a lucky break it was the Noles who were a 15 yard holding penalty on a guy who was on the other side of the white stripe out of bounds on 3rd and 10 which kept the Noles from being behind 24-3. Im not going to debate the facts of the game...it happened. How about explaining the 12 minutes of controlling the ball in the first quarter by BC....oh and BCC also. Getting dump trucked by teams which are just garbage is a bad sign. It wont be so easy to dig your way out of a hole like that in the Swamp against the number one (and call it what you want...our defense is just that good!).

Forget running it...forget giving Jameis 10 seconds to throw...dont think there will be a lot of open guys out there...and whatever you think of Jameis he better not even consider VH3's direction. He is better off throwing against next years #1 CB in the NFL draft Purifoy.

Now for BC...really they are as good as Stoops team...we only beat them by 14 but so did Louisville if I remember. I think BC would get opened and gaped by Louisville, just like the Noles would. BC got beat by Kiffen's team easily....you know Lane, he who just got fired after giving up 60 plus . BC is far far worse than Kentucky.

And typically the guy with the most yards is the number 1. If not he is 1A. Either way luck and "proper" officiating kept FSU from getting blown out in the first half....Addazio's stupidity and lack of depth kept them from winning. Trick plays come on! Maybe I should call shut out on KY for only scoring with a toss to the kicker on 4th down.
  7. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    I actually think Maryland is going to pull the upset on Saturday. Don't think the defense is disciplined enough at this point in the season. Think they'll be playing a lot better by November, but I believe they are vulnerable to the big play through read option/misdirection/throwbacks/wheel routes, etc.

It'll be a close game either way. Hope I'm wrong.
  8. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +555
    FSU is going to get steamrolled by clemson. badly. their defense is so so so so so bad. fsu is in the same spot they were in last year; blowout bad teams, your qb is a heisman contender, you think your going to national title. and then.... you play a real team and reality sets in.
  9. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +673
    I hope you're wrong. I have SWAC on a four team parlay.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  10. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I don't think fsu is going to get steamrolled by anyone. The offense has too many weapons. But I do think Clemson will score a lot of points. I think that's probably a tossup game. Maryland looks pretty good but, historically they've had about as much success against fsu as uk has had against uf. I think fsu will beat Maryland. Maryland runs a similar offensive scheme to Clemson but they don't have the athletes. Should be a fun game. Fsu's defensive problems appear to be discipline issues and experience related. The dts (Jernigan, Goleman, Mcallister, McDaniel) have all played well. The problem has been in my opinion with edge control by the des which are inexperienced (Casher, redshirt fr, walker, fr, Edwards (out against bc) and a sophomore). I'd think that would improve substantially as the season progresses. This isn't 2009 and fsu isn't starting undersized Walkons
  11. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    We're back...the never ending saga. Could you imagine how bad Bama would roll the FSU defense. With Nevada, BC and BCC punching their defense in the mouth Bama would likely run for over 400 yds on them. When they actually beat a real team I will consider them being a better team but currently they are only "back" because of who they have "NOT" played rather than who they have played. It would be comical to put a team like Bama, LSU or UF in the ACC and watch them win 50 games in a row in conference.

Clemson had a rough go of it putting away NC State so I think they are beatable. If they have their best game like against UGa they will win easily.
  12. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +2,166
    I think it will be a fun game too, probably high-scoring, with Clemson winning something like 45 - 30. The difference here is recruiting and athletic ability. Clemson has athletes who can play and run with fsu's for 60 minutes this year, as opposed to last year when they ran out of gas halfway through the fourth quarter, but last year fsu actually had a darn good defense too.

I said before the season that fsu should be very good at DT, but honestly, they lacked a lot there and have been soft up the middle. It actually surprised me.
  13. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +2,166

I'd love it to happen myself, but I doubt it. Hope you're right though, but for now, as long as we keep watching their defense get gashed until they lose against Miami and Clemson, I'm ok with it. :wink:

No way fsu deserves a top 10 ranking right now.
  14. GatorScott

GatorScott Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    FSU's defense was vastly overrated last year. When they played a real team they gave up 39 points to Clemson and we even hung 37 on them. This year with the losses they experienced with the draft they are in even more dire straits. You have to believe they will play Clemson at night which doesn't set up well for them. As poor as Clemson's defense has been at times there was a point in the Georgia game that Georgia went six straight possessions without scoring. IMO Clemson will roll them!
  15. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +2,166
    Good points.
  16. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I think that's too simplistic. FSU's defense last year was good at certain things and, depending on the matchup, was quite good. They were predictable and not aggressive. I don't get the "real" team stuff, but Clemson had a great offense last year. That game was a shootout. I think the vulnerabilities to certain types of attacks last year is part of the move to the different defensive scheme this year. At Clemson is a tough venue for FSU. They haven't won their in a decade. I expect it to be a difficult game.

Btw, to another post,

BCC had a whopping 242 total yards against FSU and 6 points. Nevada had 214 yards and 7 points. Pitt had 297 yards and 14 points. Yes, at times, FSU looked bad in all three of those games (early), about what you'd expect out of a very young defense. They are inconsistent, not bad. Thus far, BC is the anomaly with 397 yards and a >4 ypr average.
  17. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Certainly possible (your score prediction). Clemson had the athletes last year as well. Last year's game was a shootout. FSU didn't stop Clemson much. Though, thus far, FSU's offense looks to be a bit better than last year (hard to say at this point in the season). Clemson doesn't play ball control, I don't think they will hold FSU to 30 points. Their defense appears a little better than last year, but that's still pretty bad. I think that game will probably be a one possession game. I want to see what FSU looks like against Maryland before I predict a winner.
    What I've seen are solid performances at DT, though I am hardly an expert. The problems haven't appeared to be up the middle to me, they've been caused by DE edge control, creating big holes. I don't know how quickly FSU can fix that. I also don't know the impact of Mario Edward jr not being available last week. That resulted in a lot of odd formation for FSU (freshman Matt Thomas at DE, for example). I think defense is clearly an issue and they are playing a lot of freshman.
  18. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Boy is that an understatement. You said everyone on our DL sucked except for Easly (wondering how you're even still allowed to post here). Dante Fowler and Jon Bullard are better than anything ya'll are putting out there..
  19. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I didn't say anyone on the gators sucks. I don't use that terminology. Easily is a DT, right? Fowler is an end, obviously a good one. There is a dropoff from Easley who I consider one of the best dts in the country.
  20. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +825
    Here's your quote.

"This. DEase was awesome. The rest of the DL are not that great, Cummings is an FSU castoff"

That's was back when you first started posting/trolling and acted as though you were a gator fan.

FWIW, fsu is a Fowler cast-off. At least he'll get to whip them a few times before he goes to the NFL.