Final 8/29/13 North Carolina Tar Heels 10 at South Carolina Gamecocks 27

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Aug 29, 2013.

1. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    Fedora calls a timeout with three seconds left and his team is down 17 points and without the ball on 4th down. Gotta love it. Guess he wanted to get one more cheap shot in.
  2. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I can't wait for SOS's press conference after this game. Should be another classic.
  3. MiddleTNgator

MiddleTNgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    My favorite part of that was Spurrier calling a timeout after Fedoras when the play clock ran down which sent the crowd cheering.
  4. LurkerExposed

LurkerExposed Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    My observations:

Really loved the work that Davis and Wilds did with the USC OL assisting. We knew that USC would have a size advantage in the trenches over UNC, and in recent years the physical advantage the SEC has had over the ACC has been noticeable. But this is the Year After Lattimore, and there were a lot of questions regarding the USC run game without him.

Shaw wasn't as efficient as he was last season passing the ball, although USC had receiving issues for UNC with top receiver Ellington limited, starting TE Anderson out with a hamstring, and #2 TE Adams hobbled with a hammy of his own. Still, saw some good distribution in the limited time USC threw: Shaq Roland took some serious strides forward, and both Jones and Byrd will be contributors. Thompson showed again why he is the top back-up QB in the SEC. USC only attempted 3 passes in the 2nd half, but almost had 200 passing yds and 2 tds for the game. Spurrier got ultra conservative after the long Davis TD run, so I'm sure they pocketed some plays to save later for UGA...

UNC did have some good runs, especially in the 2nd half. Remember a huge question for USC's defense in '13 was the totally rebuilt LB unit and there were a few mistakes there, but overall for the first game the youngsters did pretty well. 3 of the top 5 tacklers for the game were LBs or Spur, so that's encouraging. They now have a HUGE task with UGA's RBs coming up, but overall the LB depth will only develop and improve as the season progresses. USC has more depth and athleticism at the position than at any other time under Spurrier....

Clowney was limited in his stats. I expected this to happen as UNC runs a style of passing game that limits sacks and TFL. They snap and throw pretty quickly, and have a ton of dump-downs and quick sideline screens that really minimize the time opposing edge rushers have to force the issue. Still, USC had 12 TFL and 3 sacks in the game(!!), far more than I expected them to have. And they came from everywhere, which is great for depth development...
  5. GatorChamp96

GatorChamp96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    I think what we all have to remember is this is the first game of the season. The biggest improvement for a team is from week 1 to week 2. With that being said we can't be overly critical tomorrow if Toledo keeps this game close, or we make mistakes. I'd love for us to win 71-7, but that probably won't happen..

South Carolina has a great team, Clowney even though he looked sluggish still has that intimidating presence. I think you will see this guy dominate Georgia next week after all the criticism he's gotten from this game.

6. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    I believe SC's best DT was suspended for the first half, which made them focus on the DEs more. He supposedly had a stomach virus and didn't eat much before a game against a team that ran 79 plays in largely oppressive heat.
  7. LurkerExposed

LurkerExposed Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Quarles sat out the 1st half for an academic issue (some kind of violation of team policy punishment), but should be good to go for UGA. Clowney had the stomach bug....

Thursday evening's game was under unusually hot and humid conditions that really wasn't normal for this summer's fall camp. It's been typical of past camps due to Columbia being a very hot city in the summertime, and in the past USC has had players suffer from the heat. But I guess all the rain we've had in SC this summer kept the climate a bit milder. It wasn't so Thursday.

Earlier tonight for the UGA-CU game was more in keeping with this summer's weather: temps in low 80s with humidity in the 80%+. Still there were a few players tonight cramping up and getting worn down. Thursday it was 90+ degrees at kick-off with the same humidity that made the heat index around mid 90s for most of the 1st half...