Final 12/28/13. Russell Athletic Bowl - #18. Louisville Cardinals 36 vs. Miami FL Hurricanes 9

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Dec 28, 2013.

1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,021

Noticed how UL attacked and shredded Miami's defense just like fsu's offense did? Strong knew Miami's weakness was their secondary, but when we played them, we tried running and running and running against them and only passed when desperate.

Miami, with the 12 th ranked run-D in the ACC, still shut down our D, but when we passed the ball, we did pretty well against them, and then went right back to trying to run the ball at them. Strong's offense ate Miami's D alive tonight.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    The same Clemson that lost by two touchdowns to a team that finished fourth in the SEC.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    If WM had given Kelvin Taylor 10 of ailing Matt Jones' carries, we would have beaten UM handily that day.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,806
    Back where?
  5. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,351
    Typical stubborn NFL mentality. They learned nothing from Drew Brees's miserable failures.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205

Gray, you must be confusing the UF/Louisville game with some other game. Florida came out passing as a reminder and it turned out to be a pick 6 and we were playing from behind thereafter. UF had more passing yards that night than rushing. UF had 175 yards passing and 111 yards rushing for 286 total yards. We were beaten by Louisville because of 3 turnovers.

Against Miami, the Florida offense moved the ball but once again, turnovers beat us against Miami.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=330020057
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Went back and looked at the PBP to refresh my memory.

1st Quarter-we passed 4X on first down. Rushing total-11 carries for 32 yards. 3 Drives (1 turnover, 1 punt, 1 TD)

2nd Quarter- we passed 4X on first down. Rushing total-17 carries for 62 yards on three possessions, all three ended in Miami territory (2 TO, 1 on downs)

3rd Quarter- we passed twice on first down. Rushing total-9 carries for 32 yards. 3 Drives (1 FG, 2 three and outs)

4th Quarter- we passed 4X on first down. Rushing total-5 carries for 23 yards. 5 Drives (1 TD, 2 turnovers, 1 three and out, 1 sack on last play)

I really can't say our game plan was that far off. The execution in this game (penalties and turnovers) was so bad, that its hard to point to the game plan as to what cost us this game.

You know me, I'm not going to defend our coaches very often, but the mistakes killed us in this one more than strategy.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Ironically, we had our most success against scUM on those two drives in the second quarter when we ran the ball a lot. Driskel and Burton killed us with their mistakes in the red zone on all three possessions.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. navygator88

navygator88 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    What the hell was Miami thinking with those helmets? At first I was wondering if ESPN's cameras were having issues with overexposure before I realized it was how shiny those helmets were.
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,043
    Strong was "bend but don't break" at Florida and Louisville as well, especially when he didn't have the horses...
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,043
    Also the same Clemson that beat the sixth best team in the SEC when they were fully healthy, rather than beaten up. The team that beat the 4th best team in the SEC...
  12. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +600
    Tommy, I believe he was talking about the UF Miamuh game, not the Louisville UF game.
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    I think Tommy was also. It was Jag who confused Gray's post on the UF/Mijami game with the UF/UL game.
  14. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    True. Obviously "A beat B and B beat C, means A will beat C" is a foolish way to bet.

I think Georgia would have beaten Clemson, had the game been in Athens (38-35, that's home field advantage). I think SC would have beaten UGA had the game been in Columbia (and Connor Shaw didn't throw his only interception of the season). Heck, Clemson might have beaten Carolina if the game had been in cowtown (and SOS wasn't in the head of Dabo).

I just don't think FSU can call winning over Clemson a quality win.
    I'd like to see Winston under pressure, from some big SEC D ends. Unfortunately I don't see Auburn being the team to do that. I believe Bama could shut down the FSU offense. Auburn will just have to score faster than them.

But we all saw the results in 2006. Heck, they were gloating after that return in the opening, laughing about SEC speed. Then they sucked it up for the rest of the game.

ACC have three period teams. SEC has four quarters teams.

It will be interesting to see how each team is affected by adversity. I don't think FSU has faced any. Auburn's season has trained it's players to not believe it is over until the clock runs out. Wait, that last play against Bama was AFTER the clock had run out.

We know how Auburn can come from behind. FSU?
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,043
    agree. The transitive property is meaningless.

Or florida would have beaten USCe again if the game was at Gainesville?

We disagree.

Well, not all SEC DEs are like those at USCe and Alabama. Not every defense in the SEC is top 20. Some are 89th, like Auburn. Their defense would not be top 20 or even top 50 if they were in the ACC.

Florida had a higher ranked offense and defense than Ohio State in 2006. Auburn can't say the same against FSU.

Wonder how you measure that?

Adversity certainly plays a role. It makes a team tougher. But adversity cannot fix an 89th ranked defense.

Sometimes a team doesn't HAVE to come from behind. Did you know that Tebow's FIRST come from behind win was the SECCG in 2008? That was his 27th game...
  16. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,055
    And Ohio State had a much lower SOS. Auburn does get some benefit of doubt having the 12th schedule this year vs fsu's 72nd. That stat could be significant if you're willing to overlook Auburn's two miracle plays.

I think very physical play from Auburn's OL/DL is crucial as well their secondary has to help out. I don't see how either team can practice for one another.
  17. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Usually in these matchups, there's some significant physical play such as a big hit or sack that sets the tone early on.

If I remember correctly, either Cunningham or Moss ran by the OSU OT and put Mr. Heisman winner on his back. They knew they had their hands full then.
  18. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,319
    Louisville is our Daddy. Mashed us then toyed with the program that owns us.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1