Final 10/25/13 #37. Boise State Broncos 20 at #35. BYU Cougars 37

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, Oct 23, 2013.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    Does anyone else think that head ref sounds like Obama?
  2. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    Jeez just play the third down
  3. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    I think because it was an opportunity for them to be on national TV and have big attention. That was great for them when they had winning seasons. But now, not so much.
  4. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Miami played all of their home games on Friday night back in my youth. Never knew why--there was no TV.

Since they used the Orange Bowl and the big Miami high schools did as well, it meant the hs games had to be on Thursday night or some other time when UM was home. Worked well for out of town teams. For instance when Landon played down there we got out of school Thursday, went down on the train Thursday morning and played that night.

Coach said if we won we could stay for the UM game Friday night; but we were home by Friday afternoon.
  5. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +286
    For a while Boise was an ATM in the Sports Book. Not any more.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  6. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    I grew up in Miami late 40s through 60s.. UM would play most of their games on Friday night. But the the first dibs on Friday night was Miami Edison Sr. High. Miami Jackson was Thursday nights. And Miami SR High was Saturday night. Those 3 high schools were all located within Miami. And the Orange Bowl of course was also, and not private but a public taxpayers facility. UM, a private school, is not in Miami but in Coral Gables.

UM's first preference was Friday nights. But they also did have games on Saturday nights. And very, very rarely on a Saturday afternoons. Of course TV college football games were very rare back in the 50s. Of course there were not all the TV outlets for games back then that we have now. But also the NCAA was very strict on their regulations on this. ABC was the only TV outlet permitted and there could only be, with some exceptions, one Saturday afternoon football game. A few times there could be two. One I remember every year was in November when they would do the Ohio State - Michigan games 1:00 pm ET followed by the Southern California - UCLA at 4:30 pm ET. Both were very popular because with Bowl games being far fewer than they are today, the winners of these 2 games would often meet in the Rose Bowl. Or have a big determination of who did.

UM had a very big and important reason why they wanted their games played on Friday nights, which was very rare since college football games were played on Saturday afternoons. As mentioned, TV exposure was very rare, and really not a factor in getting national exposure and attention for your college football program back then. But what was certainly very important, far more than what younger guys could imagine now, was the print media coverage for your team, and then games on a radio. UM football in the late 40s and 50s was not nationally known like it is now. So of course they knew they would be overlooked as a Saturday game. So a Friday night games would get a lot more AP and UP and other reporters in your press box. And when the Saturday morning newspapers were on your door step, and you would turn to your sports section, anywhere around the country, more likely than not, the UM college football game would be the only one reported on. So hopefully they would win and get some national attention. If they played on a Saturday, then the sports sections in newspapers on a Sunday morning may cover about a hundred college football games, and if UM got any mention it would depend on whom they played, otherwise their game I'd mentioned at all would be on the last page, probably on the bottom.

I know a lot more about UM's radio coverage in the late 40s and early 50s, and why their 2nd choice for a game was Saturday night and not Saturday afternoon if they couldn't get a Friday night slot. And why the old Orange Bowl was laid out differently from the way football stadiums usually were. But no doubt I've bored everyone a lot already.
  7. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +545
    I doubt Petersen has many people calling him for HBC jobs after this season.
  8. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    BYU has a nice offense.
  9. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    Petersen clearly has done all he can at BSU. You can't lure great talent year in and year out in Idaho.

Time for him to head east and revive the Gator program.