Film police... get arrested and your dog shot

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by finorman, Jul 3, 2013.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    Funny you say that, the only one that had a gun pointed at him here was the dog, and we saw how that turned out. Nobody says their job isn't hard, but guess what...situations like this make it even harder for them. Cops need to be trained in what not to do, and this is a perfect example. If you want to say the dude shouldn't be ranting like that, fine. No problem, but that doesn't justify the reaction by the police. Not any police protection that I care to pay for (fortunately, I don't have to pay for the police in question here).

It's not just that police make mistakes that's a concern, it's that they have trouble owning up to them.

Maybe I could do it, maybe I couldn't. But if I made a mistake (no matter what my field), I should be able to own up to that to the people who pay for my services.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  2. texigator

texigator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +509

I have ALOT of cops for friends. I certainly don't look down on cops. I have the highest respect for them doing a challenging job. But those two sure looked like they were very easily provoked and made a mountain out of a molehill instead of just ignoring the guy. I didn't hear him say anything threatening or use the dog in an intimidating manner. The cops SHOULD be held to a higher standard of professionalism and in this case seemed to fall far short.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    That's what they signed up for. If they can't handle it they need to move along and find another job. I do not want someone in that position that has a temper, feels a need to have their ego stroked, demands respect to properly do the job, can't handle stressful situations, etc. If any of the above apply it's not the right job for them, or you apparently.
  4. 15gator05

15gator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    I think its pretty simple. The actions of both the citizen and the cops killed the dog. The dog began to try to protect his owner (which is what most dogs do) and the police officer shot the dog once it tried to bite him.
    I noticed that the officer did try to at least grab the leash and attempt to calm the dog down before it snapped at him and he shot it.
  5. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Unfortunately, you are right. However the actions by the police were totally uncalled for from the start. This will end up in court and the city will end up paying out $ due to civil rights violations by the officers.

These officers should not be on the street, desk clerks at best. Before any of the apologetic jackwagons opine, I have the utmost respect for LEOs, but there are too many that think the rigors of their chosen profession give them the right to do what they feel. Their feelings and emotions should be kept in check or they should change occupations. There are way too many instances of officers overstepping their legal reach and they are given a free pass. This is why so many of them are against the public filming them, they know it will show them not doing the right thing.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    This.
  7. finorman

finorman Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +87
    I have known literally thousands of cops in my lifetime, from patrolman to desk sergeant to provost and chief. Some were as young as 18, others in their 60's. What every good cop has in common is that they know how to de-escalate a situation and be respectful of the population that they deal with.
    You are right in that part of this is not the fault of the officers on the scene... they have obviously been doing this a long time, they have learned that this is acceptable behavior and apparently their leadership has failed to show them the proper way to interact with the public they serve. No tact, no interpersonal communication skills, no accountability and no ability to defuse a situation. If the leadership of this department communicated to these officers that this type of behavior will not be tolerated and encourage the public to video other encounters everyone would be safer, including the police.
    I'm not a cop hater or even a cop critic, but when I see videos like this I do get a sense of fear around cops because I have no way of knowing when my encounter will happen to be with that one bad apple. And I know most of the time these episodes of unprofessional behavior will go unpunished.
    I can pull up four or five videos on youtube of cops behaving badly, one of them even executing a civilian and the reason they behave this way is their leadership has led them to believe they can act with impunity.
  8. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    When I first saw a video I had the same horrific reaction as you guys. How could they shoot that dog? The guy was just legally filming! Then I saw a view from another camera. This was 100% owner fault. First of all this was a stand off situation with possible hostages and the police needed to listen to shouts of demands from the perps. Then you get this guy who rolls up and starts blaring loud music.

The police over the loud speaker request he turn his music down. He does not. He parks his car gets out and leaves the damn music on while he watches and films. The police ask him again ( this is a reasonable request in a tense situation). He starts yelling racially charged things at the cops while they try and do their job. They arrest him. I will say one thing was the fault of the cops which was not having the guy secure his dog first because once the dog ran at them they had to shoot.

There were plenty of people filming and none got in trouble. This guy was disturbing police on a possible hostage situation. Police do plenty wrong and I could pull up three other videos where police shot an innocent non threatening dog. This wasn't one of those cases. Without the facts it looks bad but so do many things.
  9. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    That's why I'm not a cop. But if you are a cop and you can't deal with it, find another career. The cop has the badge and the gun, and the power. We can't all be cops, but it appears too many cops shouldn't be in that line of work.
  10. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    Seriously? Its that hard to not get hassled by police? What world do I live in? The situation was unavoidable for this bystander?
  11. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    Can you link to that? What's wrong with having mace ready to use on the dog? Why the need to kill him? How can that be anything other than trigger happy? Instead of having 3 people arrest the guy and shoot the dog, they probably could have sent one over to peacefully explain the situation and try to get him to back off. I have no doubt that this video will be used in training to better prepare police officers on how to handle such a situation.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  12. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    All true. In particular, the bolded portion.

One can hope.
  13. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I'm not arguing the police couldn't have done a better job at having the owner secure the dog. They certainly could have told him to go roll up his windows when the dog started trying to get out of the car. They aren't blameless in all this. That being said, once the dog jumped out of the car and lunged at them it is a split second decision. Thinking about grabbing mace when a 90 lb Rotty is lunging at you isn't one I would make. Especially because mace may or may not stop him.

IMO though, the major point of blame falls on the guy. I'll never understand why people feel the need to be assholes to cops for little else than showing they have rights. It is really more about being a decent human being. The police are working. They ask you to shut off your music. Why not just do it? He could have stood their peacefully filming like the 20 other people and not had a problem. Instead he kept his music blaring and started yelling about racism. Right or wrong that is going to get you detained 100% of the time.
  14. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,754
    Well, again, we haven't seen this second video because you haven't posted it; but unless it has footage we aren't aware of, the claim that the music was blaring is entirely fictitious.

We know that because the second video (filmed much closer to the guy than the cops were to the guy) does not have the music very loud at all. You can hear people talking and joking...and can hear the guy shouting off his stuff too. Obviously, that would be difficult to make out if the music were "blaring" only a few feet away...and it makes the cops' version of the story outright fictitious since they were 50 feet away.
  15. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Well if you are not breaking the law, the cops can't make laws up either, to justify their arrogance. Being a cop makes you have to deal with all types of folks and going into neighborhoods that may not appreciate you being there. It comes with the territory. Again, if you can't handle it lawfully and reasonably, don't do it.

I don't blame them for shooting the dog once it got to that level. It's a big Rotweiller, and they may have indeed felt threatened. But it looks to me like they made a false arrest, and a perhaps even used excessive force towards the guy. Looks like a cop might have punched him.
    • Like Like x 1