Feel for Kyle Christy

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATORDONE, Nov 21, 2013.

1. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +936
    You have to consider the importance of the position. I don't know if there is a HC anywhere that views the position of punter on the same level as a LB, WR, or any other position for that matter.

Is the position of punter important? Absolutely. Will it be viewed as more important than the others? Probably not...Just the honest truth, IMO
  2. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    It is absolutely predictable that some would turn this into an anti-Muschamp rant.

It is inconceivable that anyone would expect him to not put the guy on the field who affords the best chance to succeed in the coach's opinion.
  3. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    You are correct, but in actuality, JT has 3 punts of 50+. All three resulted in touchbacks. This helps your gross average and hurts your net average. Kyle has 2 punts of 50+. One against Toledo that was downed at the 7, and one @ LSU that was a touchback.

I can fully understand that some here just see a father sticking up for his son, and I get that, I do. But statements have been made that are not factually correct yet go unchallenged or unquestioned. While a returning player, with the accolades and expectations that Kyle earned from last season might often see special treatment, I would just appreciate equal treatment. And IMO, that is not on the horizon.
  4. dawny

dawny Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    The offensive Coach is not performing only in a few games, will he be grounded if Ga. Southern, beats us.
  5. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +692
    I read this thread with interest and I just can't rationalise this comment. Why should Proud Poppa take a break?

He has an opinion, just like us. He expresses his opinion, just like us. He posts with far more impartiality than I think I would be capable of if it was my son in the spotlight, particularly given the criticism he has received.

Surely he has as much right to voice his views as anyone? I appreciate his input and comments like this just serve to alienate good posters from the boards. Just because he is his father and may occasionally be instinctively supportive of Kyle doesn't mean he's not allowed to speak in a debate written about his son!

Speaking objectively about the situation, I feel really bad for Kyle - he hasn't punted badly this year at all. He just didn't consistently punt up to the extremely high expectations that were placed on him by the media/fanbase (I don't recall him banging his own chest on this?) before the year began.
  6. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +636
    Watching the soap opera that involves our kicking game (place kicking and punting) just further shows me how dysfunctional our coaching staff has become.

I really think they are clueless when it comes to the kicking game and were bailed out by an outstanding PK for two seasons.
  7. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I mean, its a joke right? Sure you commonly see inconsistencies at the kicking position in college, but when you see whats going on with a lot of other positions on the team it makes perfect sense. It's not just a coincidence.

Every team has the same allotted practice time right? It sure seems like we are getting a fraction out of it as compared to what other teams are accomplishing.
  8. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,871
    interesting what should they know about the kicking game that you think they dont? Kicks and punts are not getting blocked. A young kicker is just not making kicks. We do have a functional punter it is just not the one many on the board want it to be. He did a good job against USC.
  9. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Considering the limited number of coaches allowed on staff, do you know how many college teams have a kicker coach? I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think that most punters/kickers are coached on technique outside of the regular staff.

As I said above. Another opportunity for anti-coach rants.
  10. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +636
    The flip flopping of the kickers and their apparent uncertainty about what to do about the failures in that area tell me that they don't know jack about that part of the game.

And you know, they should know something about it. You don't get a pass as a coach when you have failures in a certain area because that isn't supposed to be your speciality.
  11. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,871
    I see you came to a conclusion that could be false.

So they dont get credit for last year but do get the blame for this year? And like I said the punter now is doing just fine.
  12. capnpen

capnpen Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    We already have that. Jeff Choate is special teams coordinator (in addition to outside linebackers coach), and was special teams coordinator for three other schools before Florida. At Boise State, he lists Kyle Brotzman as one of his "proteges," and Brotzman was the Broncos' placekicker and punter.
  13. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +636
    They inherited Caleb. They couldn't mess that up, if they tried. When left to their own and having to make a decision, they fumbled it. And they're still scrambling around trying to pick up the pieces.....

I really don't know what to make of Kyle's issues, but when you look at the rampant dysfunction that is occuring now, how can most not think they messed that up too.
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,871
    So they couldn't mess up Caleb but can mess up Kyle?:laugh::laugh:
  15. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +251
    Like I posted, I'm not an "anti-coach" ranter... but this area has had me scratching my head. I'd kept it to myself, but since this thread is here... I threw in my 2 cents.
  16. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +636
    Richie Incognito couldn't mess up Caleb Sturgis!
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,871
    what does Richie have to do with Caleb and UF?
  18. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +251
    He dropped one snap, and kicked two into the endzone... then got a rather quick hook.

I don't think anyone is saying he is messed up just wondering why a kid who was a true weapon last year had such a short leash this year.
  19. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I think it's a joke my friend
  20. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +636
    The kid has ice water in his veins. The dumbest coach on the planet could see that and stay the hell away from him and let him do his job.