Feel for Kyle Christy

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORDONE, Nov 21, 2013.

1. GATORDONE

GATORDONE New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Muschamp mentioned him yesterday. I'm not real fond of how he was coached this year. I could be wrong. Can someone fill me in on how a ray guy finalist doesn't play the following year.

You don't stick with a hitter if he's in a slump or a shooting guard if he's missing?
  2. Itssaul

Itssaul Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    Is love to see what papa thinks of this down turn in productivity
  3. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Just search. He has made it pretty clear.
  4. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    I read Robbie Andreu's article last night... I gotta say, sleeping on it didn't make it any easier to take.
    "Christy's fall hard to explain

Like just about everybody else, Muschamp isn't quite sure what brought on the slump that has dropped Kyle Christy from a Ray Guy Award finalist a year ago to the backup punter role this season.

“I don't know. It's been tough to put your finger on it,” Muschamp said. “I think No. 1, Johnny Townsend has punted extremely well. You go back into training camp, he really punted well.

“Kyle didn't punt as well in game situations and had the dropped snap there against Tennessee, which is a critical mistake for us. So, we gave Johnny the opportunity, and I think he's taken advantage of it.

“Kyle's doing a nice job punting (in practice). Continues to punt well and is obviously talented at the position, but Johnny is, too, and right now, we're going with Johnny.”

Let's take a closer look at Kyle's "critical mistakes":
    Dropped snap against UT- Is it a "critical mistake" if it doesn't cost you points? on the ensuing UT possession, they fumbled the ball back to UF... Critical mistake?
    2 touchbacks @ LSU- on both ensuing LSU possessions, LSU punted the ball back to UF.

Now, I have said from the beginning that Kyle got off to a bad start. He set the bar very high with expectations of another Ray Guy Award finalist this season. But let's take a look at the UF punting statistics:
    http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/team/235/punting/index.html
    Fron the CFBstats site, the difference in gross average between Kyle and JT is < 2 yards per punt... < 2 yards!
    Now, there is no site I've found that calculates the "net" punting yards/player, so I went back through the UF game stats box scores where the game stat is provided.
    Kyle's "net" average is 37.44 ypp.
    JT's "net" average is 38.3 ypp.
    If you don't trust my EXCEL Spreadsheet capabilities,do it yourself!
    So, according to Coach Muschamp, a gross average difference of <2 yards, and a net average difference of <1 yard is the difference between benched and "excellent!"
    And considering all the various penalties and blown tackles or coverage that lead to points scored against the team this season, I'm wondering about the use of the term "critical mistake" in conjunction with anything Kyle may have done on the field this season...

How do you think I should feel?

Again, PLEASE... I have absolutely nothing against Johnny. I'm sure he's a great kid and hope that he will be a great punter for UF. He's a football player who has been asked to go out there and do what he can. I wish him nothing but the best of success.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I agree that while his performance was disappointing, labeling the errors as "critical" seems a bit much.

Now I understand the point - dropping snaps is a critical error in general. But it's going to happen. Something wonky will happen to any punter/kicker through a season.

I'm truly surprised that he hasn't had another shot this season, but I assume it's because after the switch Townshend has been playing as well or better in practice.

Really, if there's a year to take off and focus on your craft, it's this one.
  6. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,525
    Coach is playing the person that has performed best in games. Pretty simple.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Well I guess this is true, too. Certainly Townshend hasn't done anything to lose his job. But to poppa's point, it's not like he blew the doors open either.
  8. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +338
    Take the emotion out of it and there you have it.
  9. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    It is important to have competition at every position. It is human nature to become somewhat complacent when there is no pressure or perceived threat to your job. I truly believe competition elevates everyone's game. Despite the frustration of not seeing Kyle on the field, you gotta believe the kid is pouring every ounce of energy into improving. The pressure is probably on him and Townsend every time they step out on the field whether it be a game or practice. In the end, with the right attitude, it can only make them both better. Again, as of now it is a shame that this type of competition is not occurring at almost every position. This is the type of thing that happens or should happen at every top D-1 program.
  10. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    Never has Kyle backed away from competition... The issue here, is that while statistically the two are extremely close, the performance of one is called "exceptional" and the other "unacceptable."
  11. trustamerica

trustamerica Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Kyle will rise above adversity and learn from his mistakes. Once again show to all his true value contribution to Winning!
    Perhaps broadening his contribution
    Placement Holder & Placement Kicker
  12. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Wow. Is he really bringing up that dropped snap from 2 months ago?? (I realize he was asked about it, but still). Christy is one of the best in the nation for 2 years. I think he built up enough good will to drop a single punt. It happens. It wouldn't be such a critical mistake if we didn't have the dumbest gameplan in America. Yet the QB position is allowed to make mistake after mistake after mistake with no repercussion.

And of course he says "I dont know. Its been tough to put your finger on it" about Christy. How many times have we heard that this year, like after the Georgia game when he was asked what the team needs to do to be a legitimate contender in the SEC: “It’s not one thing, I don’t think. I don’t think you can put your finger on it and say, ‘This is it.’”

LoL, I just don't know guys!!!
  13. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    I am sure Kyle is working his butt off to continue to improve which I believe in the end will only make him better. I sincerely hope he has the opportunity to win his job back during the offseason and things are not as bleak as I have been reading. If they are as bleak, something had to go on other than what we have been seeing on the field. I agree, the difference between the two, even with Kyle struggling as compared to last year, isn't that great, at least to my eyes. There aren't any issues off the field (attending class, grades, partying) that could get back to the coach and paint an unfavorable picture to Muschamp? Was Kyle, Muschamp's recruit (I know he came in during the transition year, but did Muschamp bring in Kyle or was he already in place by Meyer's staff?). If there is nothing additional that we have been missing, I agree it is rather odd, to use those terms (exceptional and unacceptable) with two players who appear to be very close. Could it be a motivational ploy?
  14. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Last weekend Towsend had one punt inside the 5 one punt inside the 10 and one that should have been stopped inside the 10 if I remember correctly. Those are some realy nice stats. He won the job and hasnt done anything to lose it. Kyle will get his chance in the off season.
  15. Gator8239

Gator8239 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    JD and Matt Jones were turn over machines yet it took season ending injuries for them to lose playing time. Conclusion is Muschamp cares more about his punter producing than his offense.

Austin Hardin is still kicking despite his backup having better stats.
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    This is a joke right?
  17. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +438
    What I find disturbing is that he would burn Townsend's redshirt, while not doing the same with at least one of our true freshmen defensive tackles, where we have had a real need since Easley went down, particularly when Jacobs was also out
  18. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    There is so much pressure on Will Muschamp that I find it hard to believe he would be playing people that he did not believe gave him the best chance to win.

In the case of the punters, it appears to be essentially a toss up. If Kyle was destroying Townsend in practice for instance, I find it very hard to believe, he wouldn't be starting, unless of course there is something else going on. Same with the other positions. The stakes are far too high and these coaches have a tremendous amount of pressure on them to win.
  19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    There is a difference between a punter being ready to play in college and a DT. Thats DT would have played what one game maybe two then been on the bench for the rest of the year? we are talking about 30 snaps for the season
  20. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    This team is a mess. Don't forget the disappearing act of Marcus maye. Some guys get chance after chance but others go straight to the dog house.

I guess you could say he replaces people when it's a position with a capable backup, which makes sense. But why aren't there more capable backups? And sometimes there are sitting right under his nose and he doesn't even know it.