Feds Collect Record Taxes in First Month Under Tax Cut; Run Surplus in January

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G. Gordon Gator, Feb 13, 2018.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,288
    So, now you like loose monetary policy?
  2. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,288
    one (fixable) prob for the FED is that they have a duel mandate. That is a huge mistake. They are tasked with addressing inflation & UE. It should only be inflation. Even the ECB is only tasked with worrying about inflation.

The hardcore libertarian-ish position is that the FED should use a rule based approach in lieu of using discretion. Discretion causes uncertainty whereas rules don't. The example is you have a gov that can tax via discretion vs. rules (committed to a tax rate) & farmers who can eat their seed now or plant it. Of course, under discretion they save & invest (plant) less & consume more than they do under a rule based scheme.
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,621
    I hate to break it to my fiscal conservative friends but the deficit this year will eclipse 5%. Trumps a raging liberal, win at all costs baby. He ain't going down like the pubs, he is going down guns blazing. Let the next clown clean it up...
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +34,571
    Lol... I've always been for lower interest rates. But we all know what Obama was doing when he went out and crushed our national debt by wasting 10 trillion dollars, don't we? Sabotage... either because he was a greedy A-hole that didn't freaking care about his children's future, or he was a complete imbecile in over his head on matters of the economy and how national debt effects the Fed, either way he screwed things up while he was in the WH with his cheaply printed money.
  5. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,555
    Remind me who controlled the budget process in Congress 6 out of those 8 years? You’re keeping one eye closed if you solely blame Dems/Obama. Your buddies did no better and are now doing no better.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. howdygator

howdygator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,510
    This is more No True Scotsmanism. Who was the true conservative who eschewed deficit spending again? Hell, Reagan still owns the record for largest increase by percentage for any presidency.
  7. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,621
    No idea if this was an attempted joke or serious.
  8. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,319
    Cut Taxes and Regulations and Unemployment goes Down.

As Employment goes up, Federal and State Revenue Goes Up.

Kennedy did it, Reagan did it and if we could get Trump to Curb Waste and Spending we would have something.
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,376
    There seems to be a case of selective memory here. Apparently very few of the conservatives posters recall that during Bill Clinton's last two years in office the federal budget experienced it's largest SURPLUSES in history. The Republican narrative was that it wasn't the Democratic president who was responsible for the surpluses, but the fiscally conservative Republican congress. Seems that if a majority Republican congress was responsible for the surpluses during the Clinton administration, the Republicans should accept responsibility for run-up of the debt during the Obama administration.
  10. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,608
    That's always the case. They do it with Reagan too. Blame the Dem president/congress for anything bad, credit the Repub president/congress for anything good. That's just how it works in intellectually dishonest land.
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,376
    Reagan and George W. Bush did it and the federal debt exploded after decades of decline. And the picture will be the same under Trump and the Republican Congress.
    [​IMG]
  12. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,881
    Clinton raised taxes and unemployment went down.
    GWB cut taxes and unemployment went up.
    Some claimed Obamacare was a huge tax hike. Unemployment went down.
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,376
    The Republicans gained control of both Houses of Congress in 1994, in part as the result of the unpopularity of the Clinton tax increase, even though the tax increase actually affected a relatively small percentage of the electorate. Once the Republicans gained control of Congress they didn't even attempt to repeal the Clinton tax increases, which were undoubtedly a factor in the surpluses during Clinton's last two years in office.
  14. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,411
    This is kind of a pointless thread since cashflows aren't even throughout the year on both the revenue and spending side.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,376
    Very valid point, but why let the facts and a rational analysis get in the way of a good story.
  16. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +14,881
    For the record, if you want to chart unemployment by postwar presidents, when they left office versus when they arrived:

Eisenhower - up
    JFK - down
    LBJ - down
    Nixon - up
    Ford - up
    Carter - unchanged
    Reagan - down
    GHWB - up
    Clinton - down
    GWB - up
    Obama - down

Both Reagan and Obama had big increases at the beginning of their first terms, followed by steady decreases after that.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  17. NOLAGATOR

Ratings Received:
    +4,319

But many of Obama's low unemployment numbers did not account for underemployed and people who left the work force.

Actually, the % of Employed is more accurate. It explains discontent when unemployment remain low.
  18. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +14,881
    why is that only a factor during Obama's term? (Don't worry, I know. Republicans never mentioned until Obama took office, then it became a constant claim simply to try to make his record look worse. Now that a Republican is in office, it's not an issue anymore. I mean, except to talk still dispute Obama's numbers.)
  19. NOLAGATOR

Ratings Received:
    +4,319

River you are so true to form. US vs Them!

I don't like the Unemployment STATS - They are bogus. It should be based on the work force (% of employable who are actually working)

I could give a Rat's Rectum if you are a Dem, GOP, or Pee Wee Herman. I love cutting taxes, and regulations BUT I hate SPENDING like drunken sailors.

I love the Military but I hate Nation Building, Defense Systems that are not needed, and going to war without the Congress.

I love Teachers but a system that can't teach needs to be revamped or scrapped.

You however DEFEND the Dems because you are one. I'd like to Dump them ALL. I want ideas NOT Parties.
  20. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,085
    None of these numbers mean much to me, all I understand is the numbers I get from my Charles Schwab account and they keep going up.