Federal authorities charge white ‘knockout’ suspect with hate crime

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GT Gator, Dec 26, 2013.

1. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    You really can't make this up...

From this article:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Feds have not prosecuted any of the dozens of black perps that have deliberately targeted white knockout game victims (and that even includes the black perps that targeted Jewish victims in Brooklyn).

It's just another day of Holder being Holder.
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Well, when you video yourself for all to see explicitly stating that you are targeting people of a specific race, it makes it a lot easier to file such charges.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,339
    '“The plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?” Mr. Barrett says in the video

"According to the complaint, Barrett said in a video that his plan was to find out how a white assailant and a black victim would be covered in the media. Feeling that the mainstream media had ignored other cases of the 'game' because its perpetrators were black, Barrett wanted to see if an attack on a black man would make national television. "

If you film yourself announcing you're going to commit a racially motivated crime to see how authorities react, what do you expect them to do? It's like the bonus round of "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!"
  4. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Even so, I think this is over-reach by the feds. Guy suffers from bi-polar disorder and while he definitely deserves punishment if guilty, he shouldn't be charged at the federal level., This is the problem with some of these incidents, while certainly ugly and on the surface they don't 'rise to a federal case.'

Whatever good intentions there are with hate crime laws, I still have problems with them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GT Gator

Ratings Received:
    +385
    It's a good thing that Holder's agents quickly jumped on this case when a black man publicly announced that he was going to attack the next white man he encounter and then promptly killed him:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/10/jeffrey-babbit_n_3900542.html

Oh, wait.... That's right; Holder never did prosecute this guy for a Federal hate crime.

Hate crime legislation is stupid in the first place. However, if they're in place, at the very least, they should be applied to all, not just when Blacks fall victims to Whites.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Well, he served it up on a platter for them and made it incredibly easy, however you feel about it.
  7. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Why would they when NY is investigating HC charges?
  8. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,934
    Dozens? I thought this was an epidemic?

I guess my beer drinking is an epidemic, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    New York actually charged him with a hate crime. Not sure of the legality of charging him with a state and federal hate crime at the same time.
  10. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,339
    I'm sorry your compatriot got charged with a federal hate crime while this guy only got charged with state hate crimes, but that doesn't change the fact your guy got exactly what he was asking for, and exactly what he deserved.
  11. GT Gator

Ratings Received:
    +385
    Was there any indication that Texas didn't plan on prosecuting this thug under Texas state hate crime legislation?
  12. GT Gator

Ratings Received:
    +385
    I'm not arguing that the thug didn't get what he deserved -- he deserves to be prosecuted by whatever laws available.

However, while the Feds have been quick to jump into this, they have completely failed to prosecute any of the other obviously hate crimes like the one listed above and the repeated attacks on Jews in Brooklyn.
  13. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Isnt that something you should investigate before getting indignant about federal charges?
  14. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Very true. :)
  15. GT Gator

Ratings Received:
    +385
    I'm sounding like a broken record... I am not indignant whatsoever about the Federal charges against this thug. I have no sympathy whatsoever for him, regardless of his bipolarity. What's annoying is I can't remember the Feds ever going after any blacks for any hate crimes against whites. It does happen on the state level, but not at the Federal level.

And, therein lies all the problems with hate crime legislation in general, especially at the Federal level. First, it doesn't appear to be consistently applied either by race or by severity of the crime. Second, why would the Feds get involved with any of these in the first place? Texas has pretty severe state hate crime legislation. Lastly, why does the ideology of the thug even matter to make it a Federal case?

How about you answer this question instead -- why should this case by prosecuted by the Feds instead of being handled at the local levels in Texas?
  16. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,378
    First of all, I agree that hate crime laws do not seem to be enforced evenly. But as far as the knockouts, have any of the assailants made it as stupidly obvious as this guy did?
  17. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    How could hate crime laws be "consistently" applied in any case? Its rather subjective. There arent the same number of people in each race and crimes commited by race, even if you ignore the power relations, historical & geographic nature/character of racism. Federal hate crime legislation exists for the same reasons that the VRA exists, because historically and even presently, some states and municipalities are inclined to overlook racial elements in crimes, or have a poor track record of due process for minorities, not unlike voting.
  18. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    When you say "it seems unevenly applied" what are you basing it on? A few high profile cases? Systematic studies of prosecution?

I am not a hate crime law fan but this notion that because one white guy gets charged in a hate crime against a black guy mean it's uneven prosecution is silly. When you jump up and make a big deal about a single prosecution as if it's evidence of bias, you should bring more than parroting from the website you got your information.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  19. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +803
    But has a black ever been charged with a hate crime?
  20. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,378

the thread too long for you to read?