Favorite Recipes. (Any Method of Cooking )

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by g8orbill, Jan 23, 2016.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,317
    I got this Cuban Black Beans recipe online a long time ago and recently modified it for the Instant Pot. I've found that about 5-6 cups of water or other cooking liquid is just about right for a pound of beans. Easy enough to add more water, or boil off some of the extra if you don't like the results on your first attempt.

In general the Instant Pot is incredible for beans. I used the traditional barbecue beans recipe at Serious Eats and just adjusted the liquid down from 8 cups to 6 - kind of just following the Instant Pot cooking modifications from the Smokey Barbecue Beans recipe they have. The traditional BBQ beans were a bit sweet for my tastes and I'd probably cut down the sugar (or honey, or ketchup) next time, but I still kept eating them. Way better than anything you get out of a can.

btw...I hate green bell peppers, but that would be traditional in Cuban Black Beans. These are a more "flavorful" version of Cuban Black Beans than some, so you might go lighter on the wine or vinegar if you want something a little more subtle, but they work for me.

Cuban Black Beans

Ingredients
    1 lb black beans
    5 cups water
    1 medium yellow onion, chopped, about 1.5 cups
    1 large Anaheim or red bell pepper, or green bell pepper, chopped, about 1 cup
    3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2 tlbs olive oil
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp cumin
    1 bay leaf
    2 tlbs white vinegar
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 tsp sugar
    1 Ham Hock or 4 slices bacon (optional)
    2 tsp olive oil, for drizzling at end.

Instructions
    Add 2 tlbs olive oil to Instant pot. Select Sauté (Normal). Add chopped onion, Anaheim pepper, and 1 tsp salt. Sauté until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.

Add white wine and vinegar and stir for 30 seconds.

Add 4 cups water, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, pepper, 1 tsp salt, and dried black beans. Stir to combine. If using add ham hock or bacon. Place lid on Instant Pot, and ensure pressure valve is in closed, back position. Select Bean/Chili button and let beans cook until cycle completes, 30 minutes.

Quick release pressure by moving valve to forward position. Remove lid, remove ham hock or bacon if using. If ham hock contains usable meat, shred and return to beans, otherwise discard.

Remove one cup of beans without liquid. Mash to paste, and return to pan. Add 1 tsp sugar and drizzle with 2 tsp olive oil. Stir. Check for seasoning, add additional salt and pepper as desired. Replace cover and let sit for 10 minutes.

Serve over white rice.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,317
    And if you like Indian food, this book is a winner for the Instant pot. It's not the most authentic, but it's really good for the effort involved.

I posted the Butter Chicken Recipe in another thread, but here it is again. Heart attack on a plate, but tasty. Chicken Tikka Masala is very similar to Butter Chicken, so with the leftover sauce, I added some Chicken Tikka I made on the grill, and it was even better than the original, although a bit more work.

Butter Chicken - Instant Pot

1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon minced ginger
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1-2 teaspoons sugar (optional - to taste)
    1 teaspoon ground paprika
    2 teaspoons garam masala, divided
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 5)
    4 ounces butter (1 stick), cut into cubes
    ½ cup heavy (whipping) cream or full-fat coconut milk
    ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

In the inner cooking pot of the Instant Pot, add the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, paprika, one teaspoon of garam masala, cumin, sugar, and salt. Mix thoroughly, then place the chicken pieces on top of the sauce.

Lock the lid into place. Select Pressure Cook, and adjust the pressure to High. Cook for ten minutes.

When the cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally (about 15-20 minutes). Unlock the lid. Carefully remove the chicken and set it aside.

Remove inner pot to sink, using an immersion blender, tilt pot and blend together all the ingredients into a smooth sauce. Careful you can make a mess here, and this stuff stains on contact. Let the sauce cool for several minutes.

Add the butter cubes, cream, remaining teaspoon of garam masala, and cilantro. Stir until well incorporated. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon when you’re done.

Remove 1 1/2 to 2 cups of sauce and freeze it for later, or refrigerate for as long as three days.

Add the chicken back to the sauce. Preheat the Instant Pot by selecting Sauté and adjust to Less for low heat. Let the chicken heat through. Break it up into smaller pieces, if you like, but don’t shred it.

Serve over rice.

Chicken Tikka

FOR THE MARINADE

½ cup Greek Yogurt
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    2 teaspoons minced ginger
    ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
    ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon Garam Masala
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or thighs), cut into large pieces

In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, paprika, salt, garam masala, and cumin. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Marinate the chicken for 1 to 2 hours. Scrape off excess marinade and grill until done. Then just nuke that left over Butter Chicken sauce, add the Chicken Tikka to it, and serve over some rice.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +31,950
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,982
    Never heard of Instapot until I went to work for Amazon. We ship thousands of those things every day. I probably put my hands on a few hundred on Prime Day last year. You wouldn't believe some of the other things we shipped, though it makes total sense that people would rather order sex toys online than buy them in a store. Interesting times we live in.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ratatatat

ratatatat GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,150
    Oklahoma, check out the recipe thread at the top.

The last two pages have quite a few that I posted since I got my programmable pressure cooker.

Check out the Char-Shu ribs on page 13!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +31,950
    Will do, thanks.
  7. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,282
    I've had a Farberware one for about 8 months now..

Makes perfect pot roast in 1 1/2 hours, prep time included.

Chicken Cacciatore in just over an hour, perfect rice, etc.

It also warks as a slow cook crockpot

Great item!
  8. WhattaGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,282
    FWIW.......

I made a batch of those housemade Garlic Dill Pickles a couple weeks ago.

After their required refrigeration/pickling time of 2 weeks or more, they turned out to be freaking GOOD!
  9. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,551
    This is not a crock pot recipe and due to the Fave Steak thread suggestion, I going to put this in here. I was in this thread a long time ago, dont recall about what. So here we go:

Fried Salad (yep you read it right).

I prefer Romaine lettuce over Iceberg. Take a jar of green olives and/or a jar of Kalamatta olives, pitted. Drain and rinse. They dry the olive of moisture. Dont want damp olives.

Get fresh mushrooms, you can use any or mix and match. Clean, make sure they are also dry.

Saute olives in olive oil. When close to done, add mushrooms. Sear them up, then take off pan, pat dry to remove most, not all grease from olive oil and moisture, need to get room temp at worst.

Cut up romaine lettuce, prefer to tear with hand instead of knife.

Get a large wooden salad bowl and rub side and bottom with one or two cut in half garlic cloves. The add lettuce and the mushrooms and olives. Add a bit of Salt and Pepper . Toss. Refrigerate to chill all.

Then pull out of frig, add EVOO and a touch of flavored Balsamic (I like fig). Toss. Then top with shaved (not grated ) Parmesan cheese.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WhattaGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,282
    As folks might notice, the title of the thread has changed, to make ALL recipes and cooking methods inclusive! :)

I like the friied salad idea.... gotta try it!

I do a version of that, but, Ii mash and lightly saute' my garlic in EVOO, ONLY until it releases its aroma, then rhat gets removed with a fine-slotted spoon.
    1/2"cubes feta then goes into that garlic-infused oil, on medium heat, until it starts to crunble, remove that, as well.

For each person, take one romaine heart, and after rinsing and shaking dry, lightly stuff each heart with garlic, feta, a few black olives (optionaal), and WHITE anchovies (Much more mild!!)

Fire up a. Grill, and have either a hearty Italian dressing, or a Greek Dressing (I prefer mt own Greek/Creamy Cucumber dressing.

Gently roll each. RomIne heart in remaining seasoned Olive oil and place on the "NOT Hot spot" of the grill (we're not cooking steak here.) :)

After turning several times, to show the lightly browned outside, renove from grill, plate, with about 1/2 doz. Halved cherry tomatoes more feta, slivered roasted red peppers white anchovies, Coarse Sea. Salt , and freshly coarse- ground Black Pepper!

Drizzle your dressing over the entire plate lightly, with more dressing on the side!!

The white anchovies, feta and the grill really does it!
  11. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,551
    Here is one of the most simple of all recipes, called Cayman Island fish.

Get fresh grouper, put in zip lock bag with Wishbone Italian dressing. Marinate over night.

Cut / slice onions with green and red bell peppers, drizzle w/ some olive oil and salt/pepper.

Put onion/pepper over grill in a metal grill basket...grill, then when in preferred state (I like some burnt parts on both, but not burnt burnt). Take off grill and keep warm, just cover the bowl.

Put fish on grill, I use a square of granite or tile from Home depot, put that on top of fire, spray with Pam to prevent sticking. Cook fish. Then serve fish with onions/peppers on top.
  12. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +47,672
    what is the difference between an instant pot and a crock pot
  13. WhattaGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,282
    The instapot, Farberware, and other names, are.new electric programmable pressure cookers.

They have no twirling steam regulator, as it is all controlled internally., and new design eliminates the possibility of explosion.

They serve many uses, from having one setting that makes perfect rice, one for traditional slow cooking, one for chicken, one for meat, etc.

Anyone who has purchased one will rave.about it!!
  14. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,562
    Anyone have a favorite seasoning for crab legs?
    Also steam, boil, grill? Preferred method.
  15. WhattaGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,282
    A mix of 4 parts Old Bay Seasoning to one part Cayenne Pepper

Steamed preferably, so seasonong sticks.

Jusr put a little on while steaming, then add some more after removed from steamer.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,562
    Thank you I want to make some crab legs for my mom on mother's day.
    She is from Maryland and will enjoy this recipe.
  17. WhattaGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,282
    My Pleasure. :)
  18. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,648
    Get ya some good ground venison - 100% deer meat, nothing else
    Make a burger patty
    Fry it in a little olive oil over low heat
    Eat it rare to medium-rare, like a steakburger.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. WhattaGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,282
    If you have ground venison left, use a 2/3 - 1/3 venison to beef, andyou could make a good chili.
  20. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,317
    This is a recipe from a local restaurant called Joule. The cookbook is called My Rice Bowl: Korean Cooking Outside the Lines.

Unfortunately, unless you cook a lot of Asian food and already have some of this stuff in your pantry, getting all the ingredients won't be cheap. If you're not up for making your own Fermented Mustard Greens or Chorizo, you could make the "Quicker Spicy Rice Cakes" found at the cookbooks's co-author's website. It goes without saying you'll need to find a good Asian grocery, and even then Fermented Mustard Greens might be a hard get. You could try subbing regular old kimchi if you can't find it. I also wouldn't buy a bottle of Soju just for this recipe, but you could always drink it. Otherwise sub a tablespoon of vodka or even just water.

Finally, these rice cakes aren't the puffed rice types you find near the granola bars. They're a very different type of rice cake, more like a thick coin shaped rice noodle. When cooked right in this recipe, they'll be crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle.

Spicy Rice Cakes

For Serving:
    1 package rice cakes (about 4 cups)
    4 tablespoons canola oil, divided, plus more as needed
    1 cup Fermented Chinese Mustard Greens (Gai Choy), finely chopped
    1 recipe Sweet and Spicy All-Purpose Sauce
    1 cup water, divided
    4 green onions (green parts only), thinly sliced

For The Chorizo:
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon soju
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon coarse Korean chili flakes
    1 tablespoon hot smoked Spanish paprika
    ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
    ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    ½ teaspoon ground coriander
    1 pound ground pork

1. Soak the Rice Cakes: Put the rice cakes into a large bowl, breaking them up as you go if they seem stuck together. Add water to cover and let sit for about 1 hour.

2. Make the Chorizo: In a small bowl, stir together the vinegar, soju, and garlic. Add the chili flakes, paprika, salt, pepper, cumin, and coriander, and stir until well blended. Transfer 2 tablespoons of this spice mixture to a large bowl and add the pork. (For spicier chorizo, you could add more spice mixture, but remember that the dish will be simmered in a chili paste–based sauce.) Using gloved hands—really, hands work best—blend the mixture until very well incorporated. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (You can make the meat mixture up to 3 days before serving and store in the refrigerator, covered, until you add it to the pan.)

3. Cook the Rice Cakes: Drain the rice cakes. Decide whether you want to cook the dish in two batches by cooking in two pans at once, or by cooking in one pan, cleaning it out quickly, and repeating with the remaining ingredients. For cooking in one pan: Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil, then pat about half the chorizo into a ¾-inch-thick patty on one side of the pan. Add half the rice cakes to the rest of the pan, breaking up the rice cakes with your hands as you drop them in. (Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to add a bit more oil. There should be enough oil that you see it bubbling around the edges of the ingredients in the pan.) Cook for 3 minutes undisturbed, or until the chorizo is cooked on the bottom side and the rice cakes have begun to brown lightly. Turn all the ingredients, breaking up the rice cakes and chorizo a little with a wooden spoon and adding more oil, if necessary, to keep a thin layer across the bottom of the pan. Cook 3 minutes more. Add half the mustard greens, about half the sauce, and ½ cup of the water, stir to combine, and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened, the chorizo is cooked through, and the rice cakes begin to separate from each other. Divide between two Asian-style noodle bowls and serve immediately, garnished with half of the green onions. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.

Fermented Chinese Mustard Greens

1 bunch Chinese mustard greens (about 8 ounces), ends trimmed, leaves separated
    2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
    2 cups water
    2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
    1 tablespoon julienned peeled fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric

Put the greens in a large bowl, sprinkle the coarse salt on top, and mix until well blended. Transfer the greens to a ziptop bag, pressing the air out as you close it, and refrigerate for 24 hours. The salt will draw excess water out of the greens.

In a medium saucepan, combine the water, salt, ginger, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, stirring until the salt has dissolved completely, then remove from the heat and let cool. (You can do this when you salt the greens and leave it covered on the counter overnight if you’d like.)

The next day, rinse the greens in three changes of fresh cold water and squeeze them dry. Pack into a quart-size container and pour the brine on top. Cover the greens and let them sit at room temperature (65 to 68 degrees F) for 5 to 7 full days. (You can taste along the way; it will begin to taste a little sour after the first 24 hours or so.) Transfer the greens to the refrigerator, where they will continue to ferment (but much more slowly). Use immediately, or refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.

Sweet and Spicy All Purpose Sauce

½ cup Korean chili paste
    ½ cup mirin
    ½ cup sake
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon finely grated garlic

In a medium bowl, whisk together the chili paste, mirin, and sake to blend. Add the soy sauce, ginger, and garlic, and whisk again until smooth. Store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 month.

If you ever visit here, go to Joule or Revel. This is Seattle food to me. So good.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1