Fat Letters

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by MeyerIsBack, Mar 4, 2013.

1. MeyerIsBack

MeyerIsBack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +283
    Elementary school in Andover, MA sending home letters to inform parents that their kids are obese.

Fat Letters

Fat kids = fatter adults = higher incidence of major health problems and earlier deaths.

Is the government overstepping their boundaries or is this a proactive step to a healthier America?
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    Actually, fat kids do not equal fatter adults. But when has government gotten anything right ?

As an aside, will schools also be sending home letters to inform parents that their children are black ?
  3. MeyerIsBack

Ratings Received:
    +283
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    I'm 6-0 145. My wife is 5-7 120. Our kid was fat going through puberty. He's now 20 and goes 6-0 155.
  5. MeyerIsBack

Ratings Received:
    +283
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8483856
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    Get ready for a fresh round of eating disorders.

Thanks, government!
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    The government has been waging war against obesity for decades now. We're fatter than ever and are healthier and living longer than ever.
  8. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,400
    Big-Pharma is also bigger than ever.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    And Big Pharma and Pudge Police are inextricably tied together.
  10. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,400
    One big mind F___!

I bet that nothing would make Pfizer happier than someone being on a cocktail of their maintenance meds to combat not only primary ailments but secondary ones too.. AND be taking their supplements on top of that.

IMO, money is in keeping you alive and unhealthy. I doubt they really want to cure you of anything, including obesity. Thus the reason I am immediately skeptical of any research paper that says "fat people live longer". Says who?
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    Even though the researchers, whose job it is is to frighten us about our obesity, are in large part funded by the diet industry, I suspect that Big Pharma lives in fear that diets may one day actually work for people.

Until that day, its making plenty of money medicating people who've been diagnosed with the 'disease' of having a higher-than-average BMI.
  12. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,400
    Meh. Pill mills are pill mills. I bet that there is "co-mingled money" between the diet and/or supplement industry and the disease control industry. I can't imagine that a large company capable of mass producing pills would not try to get in on a multi-billion dollar industry, which basically sells pills.

Crap, like I said, I bet their ideal "client" is the one taking BP + Cholesterol + Diabetes meds + 4 others for side effects on top of taking a protein supplement, fish oil pills, and shaking on some sensa or whatever other magical powder you can put on your crappy food to make you not absorb fat (ha).
  13. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +833
    This is called anecdotal evidence and is worthless. The posts that bookend yours are experimental evidence and actually have value.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    To the contrary, the posts you mention offer no credible evidence that fat causes diabetes. This is mainly because there is none. Your concern for fat kids is nothing more than cruelty masquerading as compassion as, even if obesity did cause diabetes, we know it is nearly impossible for people to maintain weight-loss.
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    Using BMI as a proxy for health is absurd for at least two reasons:

(1) BMI is not a reliable indicator of health.

(2) People are bound to become discouraged when they come to believe that they cannot improve their health unless they can move into a lower BMI category.
  16. MeyerIsBack

Ratings Received:
    +283
    From a very high level a measurement like BMI can be useful but at an individual level it can be very deceiving.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    Well, and let's take the very high level BMI. That describes the woman I've been speaking about on the diabetes thread. It would be virtually impossible for her to transfer herself to the BMI category that would prompt the pudge police to get off her back. Never mind getting her down to overweight, I don't see her ever getting down to moderately obese.

However, when she eats regularly, gets some exercise and manages stress, her blood sugar is fine. Blood sugar is independent of BMI. Indeed, she's experienced normal blood sugar at or near peak weight and malignantly high readings at lower rates.

On the flipside, how did she get her diabetes, by 'eating her way into it' ? Extremely doubtful. Both parents were diabetics. Two grandparents were diabetic. And several aunts, uncles and cousins were diabetic. I'd say it was literally in her blood.
  18. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Lol! Well I'm sure hopefully the school knows the difference between a kid with baby fat, and a kid with obesity problems like honey boo boo. I think it's good the schools show interest and care, I saw someone post that "will they send you letters telling you, your kids black?" That has nothing to do with it, a child's skin color being black, white, yellow, brown does not raise health concerns among adults. I too was a victim of being fat when I was little but like most young children it was pretty much baby fat, and when I hit puberty I grew up, leaned out, and became a stud. I think it's great that people do care about the health of kids when it comes to being "obese" it's not funny, and a huge problem within our country. If that's what some parents need, a wake up letter, to stop feeding their kids 4 slices of pizza, 3 cheesy breadsticks, and 2 glasses of Pepsi for breakfast, than by all means do it.
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    But that's just the thing, high BMI is not a reliable health indicator. So, no, it is not a good thing that 'schools show interest and care.' They're way offbase on this and other matters as well. It would be better for our kids if they just laid off.
  20. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Lay off on? Fights yes I would agree on that. Here if they fight off campus they still get suspended that's way more off base. Telling lazy parents stop feeding your kid too much isn't. Why do they want a fat kid to be their problem? If the kid gets picked on, the school gets sued, if that kid has a heart attack and dies at school, the school gets sued. I don't blame them whatsoever for doing this, lazy parents putting their responsibilities on other people gets annoying no one wants to take care of their own at all anymore. It would become " he's overweight and the schools lunch food is to blame! And their lack of adequate exercise daily! Lets sue them!!! We can place all the blame on them, and use them as a scapegoat while we look like saints who really tried and cared! " Sorry if people disagree but that's America.