1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Fast food workers strike

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Aug 29, 2013.

1. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,975
    I mean I'm no business major, and never was. But if you end up doubling the hourly wage of an employee times however many employees there are, you HAVE to increase your costs. If all businesses go through this because the minimum wage is now a "livable" wage, eventually all products will increase in price. Kind of the "old timers" who remember a loaf of bread costing 25 cents or something like that, and now I go to the store and a loaf of bread is $3.69 plus tax. My wage may be "higher" than it was for someone in my position back when bread cost 25 cents, but the COST OF LIVING has increased, too.

And by the way, this is exactly what this economy DOES NOT NEED - especially at a time when Obamacare costs are about to kick in for so many people, and they're forecasting food prices (chicken, eggs, etc) to skyrocket.
  2. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,949
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,112
    The UNIONS are behind this BS.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    I lived on minimum wage going through college working for Revco as a cashier/stock clerk. I did get a dime raise here and there but I didn't start making the money until I co-oped. I hate to say this about the strikers, but I can do what they do in one shift and have it down to a science in 2 more shifts. They absolutely cannot do what I do. I know of a few $30K/yr software engineers who don't get overtime pay and they do work it. Comparing a burger-flipper to a software engineer is like comparing a Yugo to a Vette.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Bill??? You are asking a liberal to think??
    • Like Like x 1
  6. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +942
    Only what we read in the daily worker.

Sent from my mind using ESP
  7. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Keep trying
  8. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,093
  9. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,872
    The "now isn't the time to make a profit" and "at some point you've made enough money" are two of the most horrifying things the man has ever said.
  10. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,093
    Don't forget "spread the wealth around" and "you didn't build that"!
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,112
    That's me too. I worked in restaurants, during and after high school, and we got slammed every freaking night... but I still made it look easy. Today's kids are stupid, lazy and worthless... the good workers work in real restaurants and the flunky morons work in the fast food industry.

Living wage my a$$, they're getting payed more than they deserve right now.
  12. gatorump

gatorump Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Couple of things to consider here. Q: Who thinks it is a good idea? A: The burger flipper. Guess whose vote counts the same as the CEO? This is purely to try to get more union members because low information voters are called that for a reason. Another thing to keep in mind most of the 'value' meals or combos whatever you want to call them have always been near the minimum wage to purchase. I got one the other day and it was almost $8 this was with a small fry and small drink. Does anybody think they can afford a $12-$15 combo meal for any length of time?
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  13. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    id rather have my double cheeburger made and delivered by a robot anyway than some deviant who lacks the ambition to do anything than work in FF and demands 15/hour.

FF jobs are entry level to the workforce. you put your year in, develop good work habits and responsibility, buy your beer n weed, take your S.O. out for real food before you bang him/her in the back of your 98 corrolla, and then move on to a better job or college b/c fast food work is for the other 12 morons you work with.

no offense to FF workers. the job has its place, some can make a career out of it, it pays the bills, etc etc etc. but you should treat it like school or a one night stand..the goal is to get the fark out and move on.
  14. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,764
    Key word here: FORCE.

You're all about it, aren't you ?
  15. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,658
    I think you posted the auto industry model. And we - and the Detroit citizens - all know how that turned out. But it is who we are today. I always said that our biggest economic worry is that we have people who think they are entitled to make $15-20 per hour plus benefits for putting a nut on the end of a bolt. This is just another step in the silliness.
  16. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Unskilled workers qualified to do little but flip burgers and hold a sign... This is a harbinger. Their ranks are growing and thier mantra will only get louder and louder. It never occured to them to get educated, develop a skill or do something else. We live in a brave new world.
  17. gatorump

gatorump Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    The Detroit model was ruined by the union. Low skill workers demanding high wages. When an import car costs less than a domestic it was only a matter of time. They should have given a salary for where their skills lie and then provided handsome incentives based on production. There is a reason why it is hard to find the made in the USA label anymore.
  18. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,093
    Three of my first five jobs (high school and college) were fast food.

Not only did I learn basics about the workplace, but I was also motivated to
    study and prepare myself for better jobs so I wouldn't have to stay in minimum
    wage jobs. What's so mystifying about that? Just because a person chooses to
    stay in a unskilled position doesn't make the job, or their performance of it, worth
    much more than minimum wage.

I saw an article the past day or two about one of the strikers. He has worked at McDonalds for 25 years. Does 25 years experience make him very much more valuable as a burger flipper than the 3-month employed high school kid? Not really...

I was listening to a sales/management trainer once who said that when we are evaluating job candidates, consider whether their work history shows advancement, learning new skills, increasing responsibility etc. or not. What he wanted us to determine was whether a candidate had ten years experience, or one year's experience ten times.

This fast food worker has one year of experience, 25 times.