Farm Subsidies

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 108, Jul 6, 2013.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,824
    Crop insurance just like every other industry carries insurance. Development doesn't happen without demand or developer hoes bankrupt
  2. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,240
    I honestly don't believe farmers would stay in business in the U.S. without subsidies. If farmers had to raise prices to capture the true cost of agriculture in the US they couldn't compete with imported crops.

It is important to maintain domestic production for a multitude of reasons important to our nation. Some issues go beyond trying to maintain the image of strict capitalism. Some of you may be fine inextricably tying our food sources to the world market but I believe it to be extremely shortsighted.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,608
    ^^^exactly. Rep.
  4. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    I'm against price supports. That said, I have not studied farm/crop/price issues to know. Only conjecture but perhaps we are concerned about maintaining "food security". Maybe we do want people farming and not selling farm land for subdivisions? I honestly don't know.
  5. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +279
    As cheap as food is and as clean as it is in the places I shop I have no complaints about the farmers or any help they are getting from Uncle Sam. I sure don't want to start washing the vegetables I buy in bleach to try and not get Hepatitis like my sister that lives in Brazil does.
  6. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    It's a tough call, I think there's probably more being subsidized than needs to be, and I'd kind of like to see where the market would take us if we quit for awhile. It doesn't look like there's going to be any changes soon, however.
  7. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,318
    Since farmers are mostly conservative, Christian, and Republican I'm okay with them getting government handouts. Government handouts only bother me when they're given to liberals, atheists, Muslims, or Democrats. It's simple - some people deserve to get my money, some people don't.
  8. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139

A lot of what you say was true decades ago when the majority of farm land was owned and farmed by individual families(my mom grew up on such a farm during the 1920's and 1930's). And it was true that one or more consecutive years of drought could force the farmer to sell the farm.

Thing is. The majority of farmland in America is now owned and farmed by large conglomerates/corporations. Many of which own farmland in many states. That being the case there is little risk of those corporations going bankrupt from a year or tow of drought(since their farms in other states can pick up the difference). In addition many of those conglomerates/corporations have holdings other than farms from which they make money. Simply put, these large farm conglomerates/corporations are freeloading on the taxpayers and if govt subsidizes were abolished for them they would either simply have to do what the rest of us have to do----buy insurance.

It is certainly within the means of govt to abolish existing farm subsidies that currently exist and are massively defrauded...And write new farm subsidy legislation to protect the small family farm owners. Back in the 1970's subsidy legislation was written that favored large conglomerate/corporate farming over he small family farms. Likely as a result of some major, major lobbying of Dem and GOP politicians.

Thing is, revamping farm subsidy system in America ain't gonna happen
    ---massively powerful lobbying from conglomerates/corporations that are bilking the taxpayers.
    ---small family farmers with minimal lobbying power compared to the conglomerates/corporations.

Both parties politicians receive plenty of lobby money from conglomerates/corporations. But it is likely the GOP gets more than Dems since majority of farm land is in red states. This imbalance of pols getting lobbyist money(in this case GOP getting more than Dems is similar to Dems getting more lobby money from unions than does the GOP)
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,240
    For anyone interested.

http://www.epa.gov/agriculture/ag101/demographics.html

http://www.nifa.usda.gov/nea/ag_systems/in_focus/familyfarm_if_overview.html

http://findourcommonground.com/food-facts/corporate-farms/
  10. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    in terms of lobbying power....which is flexing more lobby power in regard to policy coming via laws.
    ---farms that are owned and farmed by a family?---this has more voters
    or
    ---farming conglomerates/corporations?----this is pumping more lobby money into politicians