Farm Bill Fraud

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 108, Jun 18, 2013.

1. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    What do you know, there's a higher percentage of fraud on the smaller farmer crop insurance side then with the much larger food stamp program which has sharply decreased its error rate to 3.8% in recent years. amounting to .01% of the $75 billion dollar program.

So while food stamp fraud amounts to more money because of the comparative size of it, Republicans in Congress defeated a bill that would delay cuts in food stamps until crop insurance fraud matched the same lower level as food stamps, calling it an "attack on farmers"

Seems like there is an overemphasis to reduce the welfare program known as food stamps, but a protection of the other welfare program in farm subsidies, what to speak of other corporate subsidies.

Stereotypes at play here when it comes to these programs are, urban versus rural, black versus white, individuals versus business.

Link

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +353

When I got to the government audit part i stopped What can you trust from the government? NOTHING
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    I always wonder about govt estimates of fraud. Are they only reporting the fraud they discover or are they estimating how much there is?

If the fraudsters are any good, then the govt doesn't know about the fraud, so how can they report figures of how much fraud there is....hmmmm?

I think the same thing when I see govt reports of how many people are illegally crossing our southern borders. How do they have any idea?
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +683
    If this is the case, who do you think would be better at financial fraud? A business owner (farmer) or a relatively poor person with limited financial experience and capabilities?
  5. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +353
    Fraud is fraud and a person regardless of how poor knows what fraud is and all should be punished the same
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +683
    Okay but that is really tangential to the point. The point seemed to be how could we know what the fraud rate is based on the ability of some people to handle fraud in a manner making detection less likely. However, if we buy that explanation (and there are ways to estimate all sorts of unethical activity that would never be outright admitted), it would seem that this would cause the farmer fraud to be comparatively even higher than food stamp fraud, in which people are not likely to be financially knowledgeable.
  7. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    and that being said, this farm crop insurance number needs to get lower, especially considering it deals with much fewer people

clearly the attention paid to food stamp fraud is having a tangible effect
  8. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +945
    I wasn't addressing whether one fraud is larger than the other...just that if fraud is going on, how can the govt possibly know how much?

It's probably easier to sell an ebt card at a discount for cash, drugs or cigarettes than it is to file for a fraudulent farm subsidy, but certainly the latter will be a bigger hit than the first.
  9. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,085
    I will be more than happy if these government subsidies were eliminated for all involved. Let's go for a 10% reduction each year (for food stamps and for farm subsidy payments) until we reach zero in 11 years (the first year's 10% amount say $1,000 would just keep on being deducted until gone.)

What this article is saying is: Food stamp used to be horrifically fraud laden and now still has plenty of fraud; BUT, it's not as bad as the farmer program.

Additionally, I don't know what is considered "fraud" w/ food stamps. If I legitimately get $50/week on an EBT card and I buy lotto tickets, or trade my EBT card for a lap dance, or buy a couple of cases of beer is any of that defined (by the government) as "fraud?" I would say all of those cases are inappropriate uses of the food stamp program. I do not know if they constitue fraud, as defined by Govt.
  10. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,509
    I can see the billboards on Dale Mabry. 'Now accepting EBT cards'
  11. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +945
    I thought they were just supposed to be used for certain types of food items. Looked it up and found there are two different programs:

12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,559

Refugees get free money? Are the illegal Mexicans getting this free "refugee" money too?
  13. DeanMeadGator

DeanMeadGator '63 Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    Based on the lies, misrepresentations and incompetence of the federal government, I have no reason to believe anything the government says, whether verbally or in writing.

As for the so-called Tea Party, who disagrees that we are taxed enough already ["TEA"]? If someone disagrees, I hope you will pay my taxes.