Fans have such short memories….

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by HotlantaGator, Nov 30, 2013.

1. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    ..are people actually asking why FSU supposedly so much more talent than UF?

Was anyone on this site a gator fan back in 2010-2011, when Urban Meyer finished his 18 month identity crisis with a 2010 no-show capped off with the resignation that surprised no one?

FSU is now reaping the benefit of Meyer's flameout followed by the transition to Muschamp.

Other than Winston, almost all of its top performers in today's game FSU signed during Meyer's "I resign, no I'm back, no I resign again" fiasco in 2009-2011.

Kelvin Benjamin was a UF fan in HS, but he signed with FSU due in part to Meyer's 2010 no-show and the uncertainty at UF.

Who was FSU's leading rusher today? Wilder, he was actually a UF verbal commit who decommitted during the Meyer flameout.

Rashad Greene, Nic O'Leary, more 2011 signees.

Who were FSU's leading defenders?

Christian Jones, LaMarucs Joyner, Timmy Jernigan, again all FSU signess in 2011 after Meyer's year long resignation.

Joyner was a UF commit and Jernigan a heavy UF lean before UF's ridiculous 2 year transition to Muschamp.

The players who were signed during that period are now 4th and 5th year players, and FSU is benefitting.

We expect DeMarcus Robinson and Kelvin Taylor to man up in their first years, but look at Wilder and Benjamin.

They did close to squat their first couple years, but now in their 4th years they perform. Same with Devonta Freeman, O 'Leary, Rashad Greene, surprise, surprise they get the job done as 4th years.

Compare that to Muschamp's 5th and 4th year skill players (when they weren't injured) most of them are spread-type players (Driskel, Murphy, Burton, Patton, DeBose). As proud of those players as I am, I have to cut Muschamp some slack b/c his experienced players aren't ideal for his system, and the players who fit his system are still very young.

FSU took major advantage when UF got hit with probation in the early 80's, their recruiting while UF was down drove FSU to its late 80's/early 90's dominance, now FSU is reaping the benefits of UF's mini-recruiting slump in 2010-2012.

I guess I'm old enough to have seen these cycles wax and wane, the seeds of today's disappointing loss to FSU were sown 4 and 5 years ago.
    • Like x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Boring x 1
  2. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    6 - 5 star players in 2012 didn't hurt
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +889
    That's a solid post, Hotlanta.

I didn't realize we lost so many recruits to FSU who played against us today.

Thanks for helping keep things in perspective - we need that right now....
  4. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I've mentioned before that I blame Foley for some of the mess we are currently in. UM clearly quit on the job and Foley allowed the team to have no leadership for a year and a half in an effort to keep him. UM was a shell of himself and you could see the cracks in the offense his last year here while he was on prozac on the sidelines. Hindsight, Foley should have had someone else in place when Meyer left the first time. Then he compounded things by giving UM $million while he was out the door.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +137
    When was Wilder and Joyner committed to UF?
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    Hotlanta is right, but UF still recruited some decent players that tons of other teams wanted over the past 4 years. And those players have not played well for weeks and weeks now.

This season was a train wreck, and while some of the REASONS for that are because of poor recruiting during the transition years and injuries, ultimately, the coaching has to be pretty freakin bad for Florida to end up 4-8 losing to a D2 school.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    They never were. They were considered gator leans but were never committed.
  8. 93KSig

93KSig Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
  9. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +244
    Wilder was a SOW commit VERY EARLY on in his senior year.
  10. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    Urban left a stacked defense. He left some holes on the offensive side of the ball, but really nothing that couldn't have been fixed with 2 solid recruiting classes or an offensive scheme that maximizes lesser talent.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
    Fast forward to 2025 & the same people will still be blaming Urban Meyer. Today, nor this season was UM fault.

What we saw was 3 recruiting classes that are lacking in size, speed and playmaking ability. Thats not on UM. Throw in little to zero development and we get a sun belt team.

UM didn't whiff on every playmaker, o-lineman, qb and kicker. UM didn't have anything to do with playing every cupcake to the wire so backups got no game reps. UM didn't have anything to do with juniors looking lost on the field because they get no work. UM had nothing to do with 3 years of predictable, one deminisonal offenses that a junior high coach can game plan to stop.

The f'ing blame, 1000% of it is on agent muschamps head.

Fire the damn dawg
    • Like Like x 5
  12. jaxr127

jaxr127 Member

Ratings Received:
    +100
    S0 3 years later it's Meyer's fault... got it

I'm not even saying that what you said isn't true, but c'mon when are we going to let go of this Meyer stuff
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Boring Boring x 1
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +896
    It would be one thing if Meyer moved on and was stinking-up some other school.
  14. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +433
    So, why aren't we throwing more to Fullwood? He's in position every time we throw to him. He's a man beast. Even if we got all those players, would they be riding the bench? How often do we use the TE other than to block?
  15. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +281
    Nice, let's make up stuff so we can still blame Meyer. Wilder was never committed nor a gator lean. He wanted to go to FSU and play running back. The majority of those guys you listed would have signed with FSU regardless. They have always recruited well. At least with Meyer and Zook we kept up.

And that 2010 class that Meyer signed after his change of heart was a damn good class. In fact, those players have provided the only highlights of the Muschamp era. That class had Easley, Elam, Floyd, Powell, Orr, Riggs.

But yeah, this is all Meyer's fault. lol
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  16. zoltanuf

zoltanuf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    What is the main point of this lecture about fan memories? I fully understand that Florida State has a great team and understand the reasons for losing to them. But "short memories"? My memory goes back far enough to remember losing to Georgia Southern, and there is no justifiable reason for that.
  17. Denny_Crane_4_UF

Denny_Crane_4_UF Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    So how was Malzahn able to make chicken salad out of chicken s#%t in one year?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. HotlantaGator

Ratings Received:
    +377
    Obviously its not all Meyer
    Obviously its not all Meyer's fault, but let me tell what you didn't see today:

you didn't see FSU win by running a freshman TB or throwing to freshman WRs…

Every single FSU TD was scored by 4th year or older players…

so the point is UF should let its coach at least get to the point so the freshman he recruited can score TDs as 4th year players….
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HotlantaGator

Ratings Received:
    +377
    This is the classic stupid fan post.

"So and so went 11-1, why can't we?"

Let me pause for a second so you can pick your nose….

[one…two…three…]

OK, the question you have to ask yourself, genius, is who should UF hire to replace Muschamp and can you guarantee that hire would go 11-1?

List some names who you are CERTAIN would do better than Muschamp?

Certain enough to pay the price that a fire and for would have on recruiting.

Answer that and maybe it would be worth reading another post by you again.

Otherwise you are just another whiner without a clue.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. MiamiGator79

MiamiGator79 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Our pass protection has been horrible for 4 years now. How can we expect to complete a deep pass when the QB is running for his life? If that doesn't get fixed first then nothing is going to change next year even with a new OC. I'm astonished watching other teams play and the amount of time QBs have to let plays develop down field. Our offensive problems begin and end with the line IMO.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1