Family of Winston Accuser to hold Press Conference this Friday

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Number16, Dec 11, 2013.

1. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Interestingly I sent two links (including the victim press conference) to the one sided investigation along with a detailed synopsis to the link for Nancy Grace. The first response was just a standard reply and then today I got an email from an actual person saying they are looking into it and will froward it to their investigative team. Maybe the victim will actually have her say.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,535
    The Nancy Grace pox upon their house.

Karma is a . . . Nance Grace.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,393
    What more or less convinced me was some of the texts they pulled up. While Noles were making a big deal of how she couldn't have been too distraught or drunk, she was texting people all night, one of the first texts she sent immediately after the incident was apparently to a friend and said something like "I think I just got raped." If it was just remorse, I don't really know why you would do that.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +992
    You didn't read enough. And Winston's ability to get laid as much as he wants in most circumstances is not relevant. The question is whether he felt entitled to get laid at that particular time and place with that particular young lady. Otherwise, I can use that argument to dismiss the other two lesser infractions he is accused of:

JW is accused of stealing soda from Burger King? Impossible. He's Jameis Winston. He could get free soda on campus just by virtue of his full-ride scholarship. Therefore, never mind what the witnesses say; JW is innocent of stealing soda, because he does not need to.

JW is accused of being in a BB-gun battle at his apartment complex that resulted in multiple broken windows? Impossible. He's Jameis Winston. He could have done all kinds of amazing, thrill-seeking things for free just by virtue of who he is. Therefore, never mind the evidence; JW is innocent of participating in a BB-gun battle, because he does not need to.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Most experts in the field say that rape isn't about sex, it's about power, anger, domination and/or some other emotions I don't now remember.

As for post-drunk night out remorse, not very likely that someone who hadn't been raped but was remorseful would subject herself to a hospital's rape kit testing.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Disagree completely. DNA evidence is clear. It may not be enough to get a conviction (I think Meggs was right not to charge), but that doesn't mean Winston is innocent. Lots of guilties walk free because of technicalities or the state's inabity to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

And yes this influences football directly. JW will still go on to the NFL and make his millions. I just don't want him succeeding while at FSU.
  7. uftaipan

Ratings Received:
    +992
    A little more on this, since I've had a few more moments to reflect. As I've stated on here before, as an officer in the Marine Corps I've had contact with a number of rape investigations (some real, in my opinion, and some false for a host of reasons). Of the cases I consider bonafide, not one of the accused was a fat, anti-social loser. They were all good-looking, fit, apparently charming guys. In other words, if "he doesn't need rape anyone" was exculpatory evidence, then no one would ever be guilty of rape. It's much like when Winona Ryder was convicted of shoplifting. My first thought was, "She's rich. Why in the hell would she need to steal anything? What could possibly be worth the risk?" Well, as the evidence demonstrated, she was guilty as hell, whatever her personal rationale was. In my opinion, she simply felt entitled to do whatever she wanted, and the people she was stealing from were just a means to an end. If JW did indeed rape that young lady, that is why. His ability to have sought an alternate end state is not at issue.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395
    I wonder about the date rape drug. It sounds like she was on something which would explain why she doesn't remember things too well.

Victim was sharing drinks- perhaps she was set up.

It sounds like Winston and roommate have done the group sex thing in the past. So I wonder if some of their FSU groupie friends were able to drug victim's drink and then enable Winston and roommate to guide her to their place. Girl and Winston start, then roommate comes in and tries to join, she says no, Winston then gets really rough, she says no, he doesn't stop. He maybe is pissed she won't let roommate join- since it sounds like that's his thing.

The defense of "he can get sex anytime he wants" doesn't fly. This wouldn't be fun unless they got the fresh meat- so to speak. And with Winston's arrogance and entitlement and probably drunkenness I could see him getting angry she wouldn't let roommate join the fun. And certainly he wouldn't take no- after all he is a 5 stars recruit.

Again- all of the above is conjecture- pieced together from what I know about the report and trying to make it all add up.
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,724
    Could be (on the possible groupie involvement).

I am pretty sure in the report there was also mention of the bartender or another guy buying her a drink. I think I'd look there first.

Too bad the TPD never saw fit to investigate at the bar (or anywhere else) until 11 months after the reported crime.
  10. TheRealTejasGatorII

TheRealTejasGatorII Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Perhaps the alleged victim's lawyer found others who have been victims to similar circumstances by these guys. (?)
  11. uftaipan

Ratings Received:
    +992
    If JW has guilt in this scenario, then I do not doubt that there are other such incidents either at FSU or in high school. This is, generally, not the kind of thing a person does once and then never again. However, I doubt that the accuser's family or attorney has the kind of resources to uncover such a thing. The SAO and TPD do, of course, but then again to find out they would actually have to conduct an -- what's that word I'm looking for? -- oh, yeah ... investigation.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DowntownGator

DowntownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
  13. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +427
    From the Deadspin article:

I think this writer misses part of the point. I'm not defending Megg's by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a little more than just believing the accuser.

The problem with this case is what the defense is going to do with it. First of all it's an unwinnable case because in our criminal court system, all they have to do is cast a shadow of doubt on her story and Winston can't be convicted. Too many people confuse this point and just want to compare his story versus her story and decide who they believe. But again, for Winston to be convicted, the prosecution would have to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, which is a pretty high standard.

Personally, I don't think she's lying. I think he probably did rape her. But I can't say that I believe that, based on what I've seen, beyond any reasonable doubt.

But to me the bigger issue is what would she be subjected to in a criminal trial? Because there was alcohol and lapses in memory, the defense is immediately going to portray her as a drunk. But since her BAL wasn't horrifically high and there were no traces of other drugs (even though there may have been issues with the testing), there will be questions regarding the memory loss. They'll also will surely be an open book on her sexual history. And there will be questions regarding why the "witnesses" didn't seem to think she was being raped. She apparently didn't call for help or anything. And she'll be portrayed as trying to get some financial benefit and anything else they can think of.

The bottom line is that prosecuting is surely going to result in the defense doing everything possible to smear her character and her name. Is it worth that to prosecute a case that is almost surely unwinnable? Personally, I think that decision should be largely made by the victim and her family as opposed to just the SAO.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  14. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,348
    Atlanta, I don't necessarily disagree with the nolle prose.

But, having tried many cases, you never know your case until the case is brought.
    Witnesses can flip, new evidence can be discovered , the possibilities are endless.
    All that is necessary is probable cause. I promise you, as a legal issue, there is probable cause in this case, despite Meggs assertion to the contrary.

Meggs should have simply given the totality of the circumstances as the reason for not prosecuting, with a few talking points on the high burden of proof necessary for conviction.
    Then, he should have waxed eloquently on behalf of the alleged victim and all victims of rape.

Instead, he lied, made a complete jackass out of himself, and raised further suspicion that this is a good ol boy cover up to protect a star football player.

Meggs is a bufoon.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,535

Strategeristically brilliant, even. :D
  16. gatorgrl

gatorgrl Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    I find it very curious, that even when directly questioned, he has never once himself said he didn't do it. He has said nothing. I hoe she is strong enough to stand tall and fight. II hope she has the support she needs. I hope she never backs down. I hope this follows him his entire life, as it did Tyson. He finally admitted guilt.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,535

What's with this "shadow of doubt" stuff ? Who has that standard of proof ? o_O
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +513
    At this point there is no way to know if a date rape drug such as roofies was used to subdue the accuser. But my personal opinion is that no drug was used based on the timing of side effects of roofies.

From what I have read roofies can take effect as quickly as 15-30 mins with a peak at 2 hours. The effects can last upwards to 12 hours. With a hangover effect that can last up to another full day. The drugs effects are enhanced by alcohol. Memory loss, blackouts, dizziness, slurred speech, loss of motor control, muscle weakness, visual disturbances to name a few.

XX got to club sometime around 11-11:30 she would have been peaking (2 hours) when the rape occurred and be around the 3 1/2-4 1/2 hour mark when texting and talking to friends and the first authorities on scene (FSUPD).

At the 2 1/2-3 hour mark she was able to ride on the back of a scooter. With the mentioned side effects that would be very difficult if not impossible

She still would have been a totally mess at this time she spoke to police and went to the hospital with the combination of alcohol and roofie.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. gatorgrl

gatorgrl Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    She's a swarm viper, but she gets the job done, and she's really not afraid of anything. Including being wrong. It would help her credibility if she would lead to apologize. SShe's not a prosecutor anymore.
  20. gatorgrl

gatorgrl Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    This is a big reason why I don't know about her being roofied. BBut It is possible that they didn't give her enough. Her recall is pretty good imo.
    • Agree Agree x 2